What are some recommended texts for studying algebraic topology?

In summary: Hatcher's Algebraic Topology.In summary, Essential Topology is a basic text on topology that should lead to a better understanding of algebraic topology. Peter recommends Munkres' Topology as a good text to read before tackling algebraic topology.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have a basic (very basic :)) understanding of the elements of algebra and many years ago I did a course in analysis ... and I would very much like to read my way to an understanding of algebraic topology ..

I figured I should start with some basic texts on topology that (hopefully) head toward a few chapters later in the book on algebraic topology after doing the necessary point-set topology.

I chose the following text for the task:

Essential Topology by Martin D Crossley

I would like to know what MHB members think of this book and ... more importantly, what texts they feel are worth reading/studying if one is embarking on a path toward algebraic topology ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I have a basic (very basic :)) understanding of the elements of algebra and many years ago I did a course in analysis ... and I would very much like to read my way to an understanding of algebraic topology ..

I figured I should start with some basic texts on topology that (hopefully) head toward a few chapters later in the book on algebraic topology after doing the necessary point-set topology.

I chose the following text for the task:

Essential Topology by Martin D Crossley

I would like to know what MHB members think of this book and ... more importantly, what texts they feel are worth reading/studying if one is embarking on a path toward algebraic topology ...

Peter

From my experience, in addition to algebra, you should have a good foundation in analysis (primarily topology), and be familiar with manifolds/surfaces/topological spaces like $\Bbb{R}^n$, $\Bbb{C}^n$, $\Bbb{RP}^n$, $\Bbb{CP}^n$, $\Bbb{S}^n$, $\Bbb{T}^n$, etc. and at least know what Lie groups are.

Also, Munkres' Topology is the book I learned topology from, and in it is a part (consisting of 6 chapters) that is dedicated to algebraic topology, so I'd suggest looking into that as well for a source.

At the beginning of the subject, you'll be going through a lot of stuff dealing with homotopy groups $\pi_n(S)$ where $S$ is the space of interest (the Fundamental Group is the more well known homotopy group $\pi_1 (S)$). When I took the class, we also did some stuff on surface theory and then used ideas from there to compute fundamental groups of various combinations of surfaces. After than, you'll have tons of fun with homology and co-homology (where Poincaré duality is the important theorem that ties the two together); CW, cellular, simplicial, and $\Delta$ complexes, and other fun things as well.

Once you get to the point of going through Algebraic Topology, I'd recommend Hatcher's Algebraic Topology because I found it to be a pretty decent text, and the best part about it is that the online version is free! (Cool)

I hope this gives you some insight on what to look forward to on your journey. I really want to relearn this stuff myself but I don't have the time right now... ;_;(Smile)

Chris L T521 said:
From my experience, in addition to algebra, you should have a good foundation in analysis (primarily topology), and be familiar with manifolds/surfaces/topological spaces like $\Bbb{R}^n$, $\Bbb{C}^n$, $\Bbb{RP}^n$, $\Bbb{CP}^n$, $\Bbb{S}^n$, $\Bbb{T}^n$, etc. and at least know what Lie groups are.

Also, Munkres' Topology is the book I learned topology from, and in it is a part (consisting of 6 chapters) that is dedicated to algebraic topology, so I'd suggest looking into that as well for a source.

At the beginning of the subject, you'll be going through a lot of stuff dealing with homotopy groups $\pi_n(S)$ where $S$ is the space of interest (the Fundamental Group is the more well known homotopy group $\pi_1 (S)$). When I took the class, we also did some stuff on surface theory and then used ideas from there to compute fundamental groups of various combinations of surfaces. After than, you'll have tons of fun with homology and co-homology (where Poincaré duality is the important theorem that ties the two together); CW, cellular, simplicial, and $\Delta$ complexes, and other fun things as well.

Once you get to the point of going through Algebraic Topology, I'd recommend Hatcher's Algebraic Topology because I found it to be a pretty decent text, and the best part about it is that the online version is free! (Cool)

I hope this gives you some insight on what to look forward to on your journey. I really want to relearn this stuff myself but I don't have the time right now... ;_;(Smile)

That's the advice I would give regarding topology.

Regarding abstract algebra, you will have to know groups, group actions, rings and modules. I think it's not necessary to have a deep knowledge of these, because the course is about topology, not algebra. Nevertheless, you have to know these things reasonably well. And (abstract) algebra is a very, very beautiful subject, imo, so it won't be wasted time.

This material is contained in Hungerford's "Algebra" in chapters I, II, III and IV. But Hungerford is not a good place to start from scratch _ at all. So, maybe someone can recommend an easier going algebra introduction that contain these subjects.

Chris L T521 said:

Thanks Chris interesting picture you paint ... Will definitely spend some time studying the Munkres text

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

ModusPonens said:
That's the advice I would give regarding topology.

Regarding abstract algebra, you will have to know groups, group actions, rings and modules. I think it's not necessary to have a deep knowledge of these, because the course is about topology, not algebra. Nevertheless, you have to know these things reasonably well. And (abstract) algebra is a very, very beautiful subject, imo, so it won't be wasted time.

This material is contained in Hungerford's "Algebra" in chapters I, II, III and IV. But Hungerford is not a good place to start from scratch _ at all. So, maybe someone can recommend an easier going algebra introduction that contain these subjects.

Thanks ModusPonens ... Agree with your opinion on abstract algebra ... Will look up the Hungerford text ...

Peter

Thank you for your question. I highly recommend the text "Algebraic Topology" by Allen Hatcher. This text is highly regarded in the mathematical community and provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject. It covers both point-set topology and algebraic topology, making it a great starting point for someone with a basic understanding of algebra.

Another recommended text is "Topology" by James R. Munkres. This text is also widely used and covers both point-set topology and algebraic topology in a clear and concise manner. It also includes many examples and exercises to help solidify your understanding of the material.

For a more advanced text, I suggest "Algebraic Topology" by Edwin H. Spanier. This text is more rigorous and goes deeper into the theory behind algebraic topology. It may be more challenging, but it is a valuable resource for those looking to delve deeper into the subject.

Overall, I believe the text you have chosen, "Essential Topology" by Martin D Crossley, is a good starting point for your journey towards algebraic topology. However, I would also recommend supplementing your studies with one or more of the texts mentioned above. Happy reading!

Related to What are some recommended texts for studying algebraic topology?

1. What is Algebraic Topology?

Algebraic Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric spaces and their continuous transformations using algebraic tools and methods.

2. What are some applications of Algebraic Topology?

Algebraic Topology has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. It is used to study and understand complex systems and networks, as well as to solve problems in robotics, computer vision, and image processing.

3. What are some key concepts in Algebraic Topology?

Some key concepts in Algebraic Topology include homotopy, homology, cohomology, fundamental group, and covering spaces. These concepts help in understanding the topological properties of spaces and their invariants.

4. How is Algebraic Topology different from other branches of mathematics?

Algebraic Topology combines techniques from abstract algebra, topology, and geometry to study the properties of spaces. It focuses on the qualitative aspects of spaces, rather than the quantitative ones, which sets it apart from other branches of mathematics.

5. What are some challenges in studying Algebraic Topology?

One of the main challenges in studying Algebraic Topology is the abstract nature of the subject, which can make it difficult to visualize and understand. Another challenge is the use of complex mathematical language and notation, which can be intimidating for beginners.