What are some project ideas using semiconductor devices and other components?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create a project for school practical exams using semiconductor devices and writing a report on it. The person suggests using logic devices and gives examples of circuits that can be built, such as a half adder or a binary LED counter. They mention the use of truth tables and boolean algebra in designing these circuits and suggest searching for more information on websites like Wikipedia. The goal is to create a simple circuit using semiconductor devices, such as blinking LEDs.
Saitama
I need to make a project for my school practical exams but I am at a lack of ideas.
I want to create a project using semiconductor devices and then I have to write a report file on it. Any ideas from your side are appreciated.

Here's a pdf of the chapter on Semiconductors in my textbook so that you can have an idea of what devices i can use while making the circuit:
http://www.ncert.nic.in/NCERTS/textbook/textbook.htm?leph2=6-7

I can use other things too like capacitors and inductors.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go with the logic devices and build a circuit like a half adder with some AND and OR gates or some kind of simple logic game with LED output.

You might get some ideas searching on arduino projects although those may involve some programming?

jedishrfu said:
I'd go with the logic devices and build a circuit like a half adder with some AND and OR gates or some kind of simple logic game with LED output.
I will have to see about it although i haven't ever used logic gates except writing truth table for them. :-p

You might get some ideas searching on arduino projects although those may involve some programming?
Nope, i am not allowed to use programming. Did you check the pdf i posted? :smile:

Starting out ...

This site can help you get more confidence in building circuits - start with the simple ones before going on to more complex experiments. The links are on the left-hand side of the page
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_5/1.html

Yes, I scanned your pdf it's rather long to read that's where I noticed the logic gates.

Another example would be to develop a simple binary LED counter you could tune it to count in seconds or faster.

Another would be a shift register with LED display where as you press a button and a ONE is propagated thru the register.

I guess it depends on how complex you want to make and what the goals of your project are.

Logic gates are nice because you can use truth tables and boolean algebra to design your circuit. They are also simpler to debug than say an amplifier or detector...

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I scanned your pdf it's rather long to read that's where I noticed the logic gates.

Another example would be to develop a simple binary LED counter you could tune it to count in seconds or faster.

Another would be a shift register with LED display where as you press a button and a ONE is propagated thru the register.

I guess it depends on how complex you want to make and what the goals of your project are.

Logic gates are nice because you can use truth tables and boolean algebra to design your circuit. They are also simpler to debug than say an amplifier or detector...

Thanks, those ideas are nice. :smile:
Do you have any link to pages which have more information about these circuits and the circuit diagrams?

My circuit don't need to be a complex one, i have to make some simple use of these semiconductor devices and make a simple circuit. I have thought of making a circuit where i can blink the LEDs one by one and i have found some relevant circuits too on the internet.

Related to What are some project ideas using semiconductor devices and other components?

1. What is the purpose of a physics project?

The purpose of a physics project is to apply the principles and theories of physics to real-world problems or phenomena. It allows students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental skills while learning about the fundamental laws that govern our universe.

2. How do I come up with a physics project idea?

There are several ways to come up with a physics project idea. You can start by identifying a question or problem that you are curious about and then brainstorming how physics principles can be applied to it. You can also look for inspiration from current research or everyday life, or consult with your teacher or peers for suggestions.

3. What are some easy physics project ideas for beginners?

Some easy physics project ideas for beginners include investigating the physics of motion by building a simple machine, exploring the properties of light using a prism or laser pointer, or analyzing the effects of gravity on different objects. These projects can be done with readily available materials and do not require advanced knowledge of physics.

4. How do I make my physics project stand out?

To make your physics project stand out, you can choose a unique topic or approach that hasn't been explored before. You can also add creative elements such as visual aids, demonstrations, or simulations to make your project more engaging. Additionally, paying attention to detail and presenting your findings in a clear and organized manner can also make your project stand out.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when doing a physics project?

Yes, there are certain safety precautions that should be taken when doing a physics project. Make sure to read and follow all instructions carefully, wear appropriate safety gear such as goggles or gloves when necessary, and always have adult supervision when using potentially dangerous materials or equipment. If in doubt, consult with your teacher or a qualified adult before starting your project.