What are some local dishes in your area?

In summary, Chicago-style deep dish pizza is a regional favorite, while the Chicago Italian Beef sandwich is not as well-known outside of the Chicago area. The Milwaukee community is one of the largest ethnic Icelander communities in the US, and there is a strong Asian influence on food.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I considered posting this in the Food thread, but I think it might be better for it to be in its own separate thread.

First of all, let me clarify that I love, LOVE ethnic cuisine and foods that are local to a particular region. I find that I learn a lot about groups of people or the local culture, or how people live through the food that they eat. It is why I love shows such as "Bizarre Food" on TV that explores different parts of the world and what people eat.

So now, how about you telling us some of the foods that are local and regional to where you live or where you came from? Often times, a lot of the food are so localized, they are only known within that particular town or neighborhood. Those are the ones that I want to know about.

I'll start with the Chicago area. Most people are quite aware of the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza and the Chicago Hot dog.

Deep Dish pizza
slide-pull-1.jpe

Chicago Hot dog
http://fhdeli.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/howtomakeacsd_81.jpg

But there is also the Chicago Italian Beef sandwich.
the-top-10-italian-beef-sandwiches-in-chicago.jpg

This is, of course, not "authentic" Italian, because it didn't come out of Italy. But it is still one hot, juicy mess that is delicious. And while you can find the deep dish pizza and Chicago-style hot dog elsewhere in the US, the Italian Beef is not as easily found outside of the Chicago area. In fact, it isn't that well-known elsewhere.

So what are some of the dishes or food that are very local to your area, or something that your area is known for?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
omg I haven't had anything to eat eat today... mouth... watering...

Here is Milwaukee in a nutshell

Bratwurst
Brat.jpg

Cheese Curds
2626curdcomboweb-jpg.jpg

Beer
DSC_0010-large.jpg

Likes dlgoff
We have an unique local specialty, Fresh Cooked Lawyers also known as Burbot and Pout-eel. They're by-catch of our dying whitefish industry (only two commercial fishermen still fishing). K. K. Fiske restaurant uniquely has them, provided by his fishing tug Seediver. There, they're chunked and flash fried and called "poor man's lobster."

http://02.static.wehaaserver.com/doorcountytoday-com/images/K-K--Fiske_Wash-Island.18154.widea.0.jpg

http://www.woodenboatsironmen.com/koyen_op_800x540.jpg

http://ehmannoutdoors.com/sites/default/files/b%20burbot%201.JPG

Some years ago I was given four filets that I watched taken from quivering fresh fish and they were very very good lightly pan fried.

The community is one of the largest ethnic Icelander communities in the US, with a significant Skandinavian and Irish population, each practices its cuisine. I hosted a Burns' Supper this year that was a great success.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
I live in London and there's one particular dish that is less common than it used to be but is fantastic grub: pie mash and liquor. Depressingly rare to find a proper shop for it now, most places to eat are either gastropubs, national cuisine or kebab shops. But when you do find one its great. Especially on a winters day.

Likes dlgoff
The Pacific Northwest is known for salmon and good beer. But since we're on the Pacific Rim, there is a strong (and delicious) Asian influence on food. Oh and dungeness crab. It's a great place to live if you love seafood!

ZapperZ said:
Chicago Hot dog

Where's the ketchup? <running quickly>

Vanadium 50 said:
Where's the ketchup? <running quickly>

Thems fightin' words!

Zz.

lisab said:
The Pacific Northwest is known for salmon and good beer. But since we're on the Pacific Rim, there is a strong (and delicious) Asian influence on food. Oh and dungeness crab. It's a great place to live if you love seafood!

But is there something unique about the food in your area, lisab? Or was there something popular that originated from that region? That is what I'm trying to gather here, something that is identified with some particular region.

Zz.

Here're a few pictures that'll give you a taste of the rich culture in which I'm immersed:

shutterstock_65792173-270x173.jpg

Now, if that doesn't get your mouth watering, wait until you see this!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1MROiVj4uS6-ZPEt8VdfAWhnxadaYN8JN1oBeD-k78ie7eMM0.jpg

Hungry?

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Thems fightin' words!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But is there something unique about the food in your area, lisab? Or was there something popular that originated from that region? That is what I'm trying to gather here, something that is identified with some particular region.

Zz.
Ah. Well the lovely Dungeness crab would be high on that list. It's from here, in fact it's named after Dungeness Spit, which is in Washington State. And Oregon named it their Official State Crustacean.

And Starbucks, of course!

"Seattle" is an anagram of "let's eat". That has to count for something :oldbiggrin: !

This is what I will be making for lunch today, so thought I would post about that ... Kerala Fish Stew

http://mariasmenu.com/fish/fish-molly

There are slight variations but the common thing is ... fish, coconut milk and spices :smile:
My family loves it !

Likes jobyts
Siv said:
This is what I will be making for lunch today, so thought I would post about that ... Kerala Fish Stew

http://mariasmenu.com/fish/fish-molly

There are slight variations but the common thing is ... fish, coconut milk and spices :smile:
My family loves it !

I may actually have had something similar!

Whenever we go to Orlando, FL, we try to stop by this Indian Restaurant just outside of Walt Disney World. It's called Dakshin, and they have two types of Kerala fish stew:

http://www.dakshin-indianrestaurant.com/dinnermenu.html

I've ordered both of them over the years.

Zz.

Likes Silicon Waffle
And I hope you liked it, Zapper.

Siv said:
And I hope you liked it, Zapper.

Indian food has always been one of my favorites, and yes, I did like them. We had to convince the waiter that we wanted it as hot/spicy as it was supposed to. He wasn't convinced but gave it to us anyway. He was pleasantly surprised that we finished all of them.

I hope many others from India participate in this. It is such a rich and varied culture that even the same food is different with different families, etc. I want to hear and know about these types of dishes and food that are very specialized and unique to each family/region.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
ZapperZ said:
I hope many others from India participate in this. It is such a rich and varied culture that even the same food is different with different families, etc. I want to hear and know about these types of dishes and food that are very specialized and unique to each family/region.
people put anything edible into their foods provided they won't upset their stomach. The food and it tastes sure vary among individuals. Taroes and (sweet and) Potatoes are used equally in my curry soup.

Attachments

• buffalo wings plate.gif
    buffalo wings plate.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 764
  • 31VJdTA8MEL.jpg
    31VJdTA8MEL.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 586
  • buffalo-wing-festival-buffalowing-crop.jpg
    buffalo-wing-festival-buffalowing-crop.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 637
  • anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 605
Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you consider the German, Polish, and Russian foods that every grandmother cooked for sunday dinner.

Ah yes, the Anchor bar in Buffalo, NY, the originator of those Buffalo wings.

I think that place is more popular than the Buffalo Bills! :)

Zz.

A, delicious meal likely only eaten by my family is couscous with spicy sausages, peppers, onion and chili.

When I think of South Carolina cuisine, I think of two things: fried okra and mustard-based barbecue sauce.

Actually, the barbecue sauce is specific to the Midlands (the central area of SC around Columbia). I live in a "boundary" region to the north where you can get barbecue either way: mustard based or tomato based (which I prefer). Either way, it's always on pork.

However, I have never cared for okra, whether fried or in some other form. My brother claimed that there is an invisible "okra line" crossing the US from east to west, somewhat south of the Mason-Dixon line. North of it, one never sees okra on restaurant menus. South of it, okra is ubiquitous at truck stops, barbecue joints, cafeterias, etc.

A suburb of Columbia, SC, has an annual festival called the "Okra Strut."

You want crab cakes? Come to the Eastern Shore of Maryland ...no fillers added.

jtbell said:
When I think of South Carolina cuisine, I think of two things: fried okra and mustard-based barbecue sauce.

When I think of SC I think of Shrimp and Grits.

I wish we have more participants from France, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, countries in South East Asia, etc. There is such a diverse and amazing culinary culture in those regions where there are very unique foods from various regions in each of those countries.

And hey, how about people from the Gulf Coast of the US? Where are you?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And hey, how about people from the Gulf Coast of the US? Where are you?
You answered your own question :oldbiggrin:!

But seriously - gumbo, anyone?

I've never lived in Cincinnati, Ohio, but every time I drive through that area, I stop somewhere for Cincinnati-style chili.

All foods you introduce look delicious. I want to eat all of them :-p.
I wonder how you define an actual food that irk you out nicely, one that is different from i.e a bowl of water added with some salt, ajinomoto, and some bite-sized meats etc. Only curry, but an Indian one is almost different from Japanese one, but they both still share something very common.

MalaysianIndonesian and Thai curries are also very different from Indian/Japanese, and each other. The use of galangal root, lemon grass, and sometime even shrimp paste to flavor the Malaysian/Indonesian/Thai curries/rendang is very unique to that region.

Zz.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Go Bills... What about Beef on Weck? and Genesee Cream Ale (commonly known as Genny Screamers...)
\
upload_2015-4-15_21-21-58.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5ibP5s5Q-WGS0bHIYLp-2WIV8Po9y86KmskvdvkGOJoJkhLatCw.jpg

Zapper, is that a Lou Malnati's pizza?

Kansas city is the beef capital of the US, but you will be hard pressed to find a decent steak house here. Also, Kansas City is supposed to be famous for BBQ, again, having grown up in Houston, TX, I'm spoiled, we had the best steakhouses, we had the best BBQ, we also had great seafood, you could go and buy your seafood right off the boats when they came in. No seafood here.

One of the supposedly most famous BBQ places in KC has been closed down before due to unsanitary conditions and many people avoid it.

Dolma : the ones in this picture are made of grape leaves

fd0022.jpg

Likes Digitalism
Lisa! said:
Dolma : the ones in this picture are made of grape leaves

fd0022.jpg

Can you explain a bit why this is unique to your or a specific region? I've had this all over the place, and this is a common item in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Is there something different or specific in this particular dish that makes it unique than other dolma/dolmades?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can you explain a bit why this is unique to your or a specific region? I've had this all over the place, and this is a common item in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. Is there something different or specific in this particular dish that makes it unique than other dolma/dolmades?

Zz.

Sorry I can't! I mean if I knew I had to explain, I'd never post it. :redface:

Lisa! said:
Sorry I can't! I mean if I knew I had to explain, I'd never post it. :redface:

Hum...

I don't know if the thread's purpose is not clear. I'm trying to discover cuisines that are unique to certain regions of the world, or food that originated and are uniquely associated to certain places. I thought maybe this is a version of dolmades that is unique to certain places.

Zz.