What are some introduction level all around physics books?

In summary, the speaker is a first year ME student who wants to transition from pop science books to real math-based physics. They are seeking advice on textbooks and have been recommended Kleppner and Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M as practical introductions. They are also looking for easier alternatives to the Feynman lectures, and have been provided with a list of free options.
Sundires
Hello! I really like physics but I've been reading pop science books up until now. I feel like it's time for real math based physics. I'm a first year ME student so I have calculus and phys 1&2 covered. I was planning on reading Feynman's yet I've heard it might as well be supported by some other textbooks. Would appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a book at the level of the Feynman Lectures but that's more practical as an introduction, the classic choices would be Kleppner and Kolenkow for mechanics and Purcell for E&M.

If you want something that's easier than the Feynman lectures, there are quite a few possibilities out there. There are some free possibilities catalogued here: http://www.theassayer.org/cgi-bin/asbrowsesubject.cgi?class=Q#freeclassQC

Related to What are some introduction level all around physics books?

What are some good introductory level all around physics books?

Some good introductory level all around physics books include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick.

What topics are typically covered in introductory level physics books?

Introductory level physics books cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

Do I need any prior knowledge to understand these books?

No, most introductory level physics books are written for readers with little to no prior knowledge in physics. However, a strong foundation in mathematics is often helpful.

Are there any interactive or online resources available to supplement these books?

Yes, many introductory level physics books come with online resources such as simulations, practice problems, and videos to enhance the learning experience.

Are these books suitable for self-study or do they require a teacher or instructor?

These books can be used for self-study, but having a teacher or instructor to guide you can be helpful in understanding the concepts and solving problems.