What are some interesting and unique research paper topics for an English class?

In summary: Thanks for the input!I will definitely consider those suggestions. In summary, some ideas for a research paper topic are: -energy conservation-the effects of Starbucks marketing-conservation of resources-the lack of physicists in the workforce-the history of abortion
courtrigrad
Hi all

Could you please suggest some interesting topics for a research paper. It does not have to be science oriented, as this paper is for an english class.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Linux versus Windows Security

You can start here:
http://www.vnunet.com/news/1160588

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

any other ideas?

health problems related to pencil stab wounds. send me a copy

You can write a research report on writing research reports.

tribdog said:
health problems related to pencil stab wounds. send me a copy

You could write an entire thesis on the unusual maladies of tribdogs.

lol

seriously guys

although tribdog and dduardo's suggestions are pretty good! meh

Thanks

Okay. I can understand your difficulty. I always hated those English research papers that could be on anything. Either I couldn't think of anything or had too many ideas and couldn't pick just one. If they just handed me a topic, any topic, I could do the project no problem, but don't make me pick the topic myself!

That said, how about things like:
Ways to conserve energy in the home: what really works, and what doesn't.
The Starbucks Secret: How they get people to pay $3.00 for a cup of coffee. (something on marketing)
Media influences on culture.
Why aren't there more physicists?

Some of these are lame and some are okay, but I figured I owed you a serious answer after the tribdog crack. :wink:

Thanks

Any other ideas are welcome

I think historical reports are fun and informative (which is really what makes them fun).

Here's a few "The history of..." titles :

The Submarine
Ciphers and Cryptography
Forensics
Political Thought
Sport
Alcoholic Beverages
The English Language
Medicine

...all lend for some fascinating reading. And you'll find yourself writing better if the content interests you.

Thanks a lot guys

I forgot...the research paper has to be persuasive. In other words, it has to contain two sides of an argument.

Any other ideas are appreciated

Thanks

If it has to contain two sides to an argument...I take it you mean you have to counter-claim...in which case something in philosophy might be good. I'm in grade 11 and as part of the IB program we have to take Theory of Knowledge. They put a huge emphasis on making counter-claims when writing our philosophy papers. Also, they require us to develop a personal response to a question and then back up our personal response, at the same time making counter-claims, which disproving these strengthens our argument. (Hope that made sense) They are usually fairly interesting. I'll bring home my TOK binder tomorrow and post some essay questions...perhaps it will give you some ideas.

-jonny

ok thanks a lot. I am in also grade 11, and some common topics are:

abortion
death penalty
school uniforms

etc... but I like your ideas

Freedom vs. Security
Interference vs. Liberation
Evolution vs. Religion

Oh I got a few. Do we need to be wealthy and successful? Who is a bigger victim in modern society, men or women? Modernisation, is it worth its dehumanising effects? The true state of our existence.
Failing the above I suggest a glance at the topics in the Philosophical and Social Science Forums. Good luck :smile: .

Moonbear said:
You could write an entire thesis on the unusual maladies of tribdogs.

Yeah you could.

Thesis: DOn't be him, its painful.

is there any way i could have finance as a topic in a persuasive paper?

Any other ideas are appreciated

Thanks a lot for your input

You could look at the tax cuts and deficit spending under the Bush administration. The conservatives believe it is working and leading the US economy out of recession, and others disagree.

Or you could do something scientific and controversial like the Greenhouse effect and whether or not we should be more aggressively curbing CO2 emissions.

I think your english teacher would have read tons of those boring old topics like the greenhouse effect and all. Since you come to PF, i assume you take an interest in science. So those regarding science would be good, but what's so good about science is that you can throw in sh*itloads of jargon like "diffeomorphism invariance" or "lorentz invariance" and your teacher would probably be thinking "wow." because he/she probably can't understand half of what you're writing.

That worked for me though.

You can write about politics or philosophy but your english teacher should be somewhat quite well read in the humanities so such jargon won't scare him/her. Something good would also be to compare various fields, perhaps modern art and physics? Its a little bit difficult, but if you want, you can pick up "the tao of physics" as an example of what you should NOT be writing.

Related to What are some interesting and unique research paper topics for an English class?

1. What makes a research paper topic interesting and unique?

An interesting and unique research paper topic is one that sparks curiosity and discussion among readers. It should also be original and offer a fresh perspective on a well-known topic.

2. Can I choose a research paper topic that is not related to literature?

Yes, you can choose a research paper topic that is not directly related to literature. English classes often cover a wide range of topics, and you may have the freedom to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. How can I find unique research paper topics?

There are multiple ways to find unique research paper topics. You can brainstorm ideas based on your personal interests, current events, or previous coursework. You can also consult with your instructor or do research on academic databases to discover emerging topics in your field.

4. Is it possible to write a research paper on a classic literary work?

Yes, you can write a research paper on a classic literary work. However, to make your topic interesting and unique, you can focus on a specific aspect or theme of the work that has not been extensively explored by other researchers.

5. How can I ensure my research paper topic is appropriate for an English class?

To ensure your research paper topic is appropriate for an English class, make sure it aligns with the course objectives and requirements. Additionally, you can discuss your topic ideas with your instructor to get their feedback and make necessary adjustments.