What Are Some Impressive A-Level Physics Project Ideas Within a £200 Budget?

In summary, the individual is looking for a physics project at an A-Level standard or higher, with a budget of £100-£200 and a deadline of March 2012. They want something practical and challenging that will impress a university admissions tutor. One suggestion is to research the properties of different materials, specifically thermal conductivity, through a simple experiment that can be done within their budget.
conorordan
I need to start a physics project over summer, something of an A-Level standard or higher.

I want to do something practical like an experiment and then write about 5000 words on it.

My budget is between £100 and £200 (≈$200 to $400) and I must have the entire project finished by March 2012 so I have a long time to do it and it can be quite in depth.

I want something that will be a challenge and will really impress a university admissions tutor.

I'm stuck for ideas so far, everything I think of is either far too complicated/expensive or the complete opposite so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion is to look into researching the properties of different materials. For example, you could use a simple experiment to measure the thermal conductivity of different materials. This could involve using a thermocouple to measure the temperature of one side of a sample material and then measuring the temperature on the other side after a given period of time. You could then compare the results of different materials and draw conclusions from your findings. This project could be done for around £100-200 and would be a great challenge for an A-Level student.

Related to What Are Some Impressive A-Level Physics Project Ideas Within a £200 Budget?

1. What are some interesting topics for a physics project?

Some interesting topics for a physics project could include investigating the properties of light, exploring the laws of motion, or researching the behavior of electricity and magnetism.

2. Can you suggest a simple but impressive physics project for a student?

One simple but impressive physics project for a student could be constructing a working model of a solar-powered car. This project would involve understanding the principles of solar energy and using basic engineering skills to create a functioning car.

3. Is it possible to do a physics project without expensive equipment?

Yes, it is possible to do a physics project without expensive equipment. There are many projects that can be done using everyday materials or basic tools. Some examples include building a simple pendulum, designing a paper airplane, or investigating the laws of reflection using a mirror and a flashlight.

4. How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your physics project stand out, you could choose a unique or creative topic, conduct thorough research, and present your findings in a visually appealing and organized manner. You could also consider incorporating interactive elements or demonstrations to engage your audience.

5. Are there any online resources for finding physics project ideas?

Yes, there are many online resources for finding physics project ideas. Some reputable websites include Science Buddies, Science Fair Extravaganza, and Science Fair Central. These websites offer a wide range of project ideas and resources for students of all levels.