What are some helpful resources for learning about Polymer NanoComposites?

• Thread starter System Engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymer
In summary, the speaker is a PhD student in nanoscience and technology in South Korea, but lacks background knowledge in polymers. They are looking for materials to help them learn the basics and have received recommendations for papers and books on polymer nanocomposites.
System Engineer
Dear Members

Greetings. I joined this forum today. I have done my BE(Electrcial) followed by MS(Telecommunications) and a 9 months Course on Systems Enginering from UK. Presently i am in South Korea on a Scholarship for my PhD in Nanoscience and Tech (Here is the problem).

I have no background what so ever in Materails, specilay in polymers where as my Prof has a PhD in Polymer Synthesis.

Now my Question may seem stupid but i have to get everything from basics. I am looking for any kind of Material to help me learn the basics of polymers, nanocomposites. What i hope to do is to get my hands on some really good material which can get me started in the field of Polymer/Nano Composites.

Any help and ideas. I ll be thankfull

Regards
Ess ESS

Engineering news on Phys.org
U can read papers like
1. Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane Nanocomposites: The NextGeneration Material for
Biomedical ApplicationsRUBEN Y. KANNAN,† HENRYK J. SALACINSKI,†PETER E. BUTLER,‡ ANDALEXANDER M. SEIFALIAN*,†

2. Book : POlymer Nanocomposite-Edited by - Yiu WIng Mai & Zhong-Zhen-Yu

BOOK :

Progress in polymer nanocomposite research.

Ed. by Sabu Thomas and Gennady E. Zaikov.

Nova Science Publishers

I was in a workshop by Ray Pearson, which is a really experienced person in polymer nanocomposites, and he recommended us this book:

'Introduction to nanocomposite materials: properties, processing and characterization'

by Thomas E. Twardowski, DESTech Publications, Inc. 2007 ISBN 978-1-932078-54-1

Hope it help you!

Related to What are some helpful resources for learning about Polymer NanoComposites?

1. What are Polymer NanoComposites?

Polymer NanoComposites are materials made of polymers (large molecules made of repeating units) and nanoparticles (particles with at least one dimension less than 100 nanometers). These materials have unique properties due to the combination of the two components at such a small scale.

2. What are the benefits of using Polymer NanoComposites?

There are several benefits of using Polymer NanoComposites, including improved strength, stiffness and durability. They also have enhanced electrical, thermal and optical properties, making them useful in a variety of applications such as in electronics, aerospace, and automotive industries.

3. How are Polymer NanoComposites produced?

Polymer NanoComposites can be produced through various methods such as melt mixing, solution mixing, and in-situ polymerization. These processes involve incorporating nanoparticles into the polymer matrix to create a homogenous mixture.

4. What are the challenges in working with Polymer NanoComposites?

One of the main challenges in working with Polymer NanoComposites is achieving a uniform dispersion of nanoparticles within the polymer matrix. This can be difficult due to the high surface area of nanoparticles and their tendency to agglomerate. Another challenge is ensuring the compatibility between the polymer and the nanoparticles, as they may have different chemical properties.

5. What are the potential applications of Polymer NanoComposites?

Polymer NanoComposites have a wide range of potential applications, including in the manufacturing of lightweight and strong materials for use in the aerospace and automotive industries. They can also be used in the production of electronics, medical devices, and packaging materials. Additionally, Polymer NanoComposites have potential uses in environmental remediation and energy storage.