What are Some Good Online References for Head Loss Coefficients in Ductwork?

In summary, the minor head loss coefficient is a dimensionless parameter used in fluid mechanics to represent the loss of energy due to friction and turbulence in a fluid flow system. It is determined experimentally and is affected by factors such as system geometry, fluid velocity, and surface roughness. The coefficient is important in accurately predicting pressure drop in a system and can be reduced through various design techniques and flow control devices.
ajk108
I am working on a project at my summer internship rerouting some duct work and want to do some calculations to see how much changing some of the 90 degree angles in the duct will improve flow. I don't have my Fluids text with me and was wondering if anyone knew of any good references online to get the head loss coefficients for various duct shapes. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Crane Paper #410 is pretty much standard reference for pipe flows and losses.

Related to What are Some Good Online References for Head Loss Coefficients in Ductwork?

1. What is meant by minor head loss coefficient?

The minor head loss coefficient is a dimensionless parameter used in fluid mechanics to represent the loss of energy due to friction and turbulence in a fluid flowing through a pipe or channel. It is denoted by the symbol Km and is used to calculate the minor head loss in a system.

2. How is the minor head loss coefficient determined?

The minor head loss coefficient is determined experimentally by measuring the pressure drop across a section of pipe or channel and dividing it by the dynamic pressure of the fluid. This value is then compared to the theoretical value of the coefficient, which is calculated using the geometry and flow conditions of the system.

3. What factors affect the minor head loss coefficient?

The minor head loss coefficient is affected by several factors, including the geometry of the flow system, the velocity of the fluid, and the roughness of the pipe or channel walls. It also depends on the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and the type of fittings or components present in the system.

4. Why is the minor head loss coefficient important in fluid flow calculations?

The minor head loss coefficient is important because it allows engineers and scientists to accurately predict the pressure drop in a system due to friction and turbulence. This information is crucial in designing efficient and cost-effective fluid flow systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and HVAC systems.

5. Can the minor head loss coefficient be reduced?

Yes, the minor head loss coefficient can be reduced by using smoother pipes and fittings, reducing the velocity of the fluid, and minimizing the number of fittings and components in the system. Additionally, using flow control devices and proper design techniques can also help to reduce the minor head loss coefficient.