What are some good books to study mathematical logic?

In summary, a CS student is looking to formalize their understanding of logic from the very basics. They want to be able to solve puzzles and get to a level where they can solve more difficult problems. They are using a book for dummies to get started. They say that logic is central to proving abstract math theorems and that computer programs use logic.
Maths Absorber
I am a CS student and have a very poor understanding of this field of mathematics. I don't properly know the difference in between symbolic logic, first order logic, propositional calculus, model theory and lambda calculus. But, I want to start studying logic formally from the very basic.

I'd like to be able to solve some seemingly simple puzzles like the Lady and the Tiger, or Knights and Knaves. I'd like to be able to get to a level where I'd be able to solve these questions easily, with the approach of mathematical logic rather than intuitive heuristics.

Can someone guide me as to what books are good, where I can begin and what are some more advanced books and topics I can work up to later on ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually solved the knights and the knaves using logic.. It was glorious xD

Here is a nice introduction:
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/alevel/discrete_ch10.pdf

A book I am using is in the for dummies series..called logic for dummies.

the knight and the knaves can be solved after reading that PDF alone, those are very basic, just scratching the surface of logic.

Can you tell me about some of the things that lie beyond the surface?

Maths Absorber said:
Can you tell me about some of the things that lie beyond the surface?

I really don't know too much.. I have only reached so far as to study proofs using logic. Set notation can be expressed logically..I think logic is central to proving some of the more abstract math theorems. Computing uses logic, software etc..

Any equation can also be called a proposition...a logical statement.. Its one of the things about mathematics I am seeing so far, there are many ways of seeing one concept..at least, how I feel.

Last edited:

1. What is mathematical logic?

Mathematical logic is a branch of mathematics that studies the principles of reasoning and the use of formal languages to represent and manipulate mathematical concepts and ideas.

2. Why is it important to study mathematical logic?

Studying mathematical logic helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It is also essential for fields such as computer science, philosophy, and linguistics.

3. What are some good books to study mathematical logic for beginners?

Some good introductory books on mathematical logic include "A Mathematical Introduction to Logic" by Herbert Enderton, "Logic: A Very Short Introduction" by Graham Priest, and "Mathematical Logic: A First Course" by Joel W. Robbin and Jean-Pierre Schupp.

4. Are there any online resources for studying mathematical logic?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying mathematical logic, including video lectures, interactive tutorials, and online courses. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. What are some advanced books on mathematical logic?

Some advanced books on mathematical logic include "A Course in Mathematical Logic" by Yu. I. Manin, "Set Theory and the Continuum Hypothesis" by Paul J. Cohen, and "Model Theory" by C.C. Chang and H. Jerome Keisler. These books are suitable for graduate-level study in mathematical logic.