What are some affordable alternatives for a high pressure air regulator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of controlling air pressure in a pneumatics project using solenoids. The speaker has tried different methods, such as draining the compressed air bottle and searching for a high pressure output regulator, but has not found a suitable solution. They are looking for a cheaper alternative to the expensive regulators and are considering searching for a specific industrial application that uses them, such as welding with oxygen bottles.
suprant0010
I'm working on a pneumatics project, which requires me to blast high pressure air through a set of solenoids.

The problem I'm having is controlling the air pressure. The bottle of compressed air comes with around 2000 psi when full. I found out through trial and error that my solenoids refuse to open on anything more than 1200-1300 psi.I tried draining the bottle to a low enough pressure so the solenoids will open. Then I run into the issue of the pressure steadily dropping as I consume it, its no longer useful to me after it gets below 1000 psi.

I tried to track down a high pressure output regulator, but haven't had much luck. There seems to be a few companies out there making them, but they're quite expensive (300$-1000$), such as the one Parker makes. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to those expensive regulators? I can find 400-500 psi regulators all over for around 30$, do I really have to pay 10 times the price for 3 times the pressure?

What common application would use such a regulator? Searching for "high pressure regulator" doesn't seem to be working for me, I figure I could try and search for a particular industrial application that uses them.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The oxygen bottles used for welding are filled to 15 MPa, (2200 psi), the gauge goes up to 30MPa. The pressure reducing valve has right hand threads and should work with high pressure air.

Related to What are some affordable alternatives for a high pressure air regulator?

What is a high pressure air regulator?

A high pressure air regulator is a device that controls the pressure of compressed air within a system, ensuring that it stays at a consistent and safe level for use in various applications.

How does a high pressure air regulator work?

A high pressure air regulator typically consists of a diaphragm, spring, and valve mechanism that work together to regulate the flow of compressed air. As the pressure increases, the diaphragm and spring compress, causing the valve to open and release excess pressure.

What are the benefits of using a high pressure air regulator?

Using a high pressure air regulator can help to ensure safety, efficiency, and accuracy in various applications that require compressed air. It can also prevent damage to equipment and reduce energy costs.

How do I choose the right high pressure air regulator for my needs?

When choosing a high pressure air regulator, consider the maximum and minimum pressure requirements, flow rate, and accuracy needed for your specific application. It's also important to choose a regulator that is compatible with the type of gas or air being used.

How do I maintain and troubleshoot a high pressure air regulator?

To maintain a high pressure air regulator, regularly check for leaks, clean or replace filters, and ensure that the pressure is within the desired range. If troubleshooting is needed, check for clogs or damage to the diaphragm, spring, or valve and make any necessary repairs or replacements.