Is there a safer and more efficient way to pressurize PCP pellet guns?

In summary, there are several safer and more efficient methods for pressurizing PCP pellet guns. One option is to use a hand pump or stirrup pump, which allows for controlled and gradual pressurization of the gun. Another option is to use a scuba tank or high-pressure air compressor, which can quickly and easily fill the gun to the desired pressure. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when pressurizing a PCP pellet gun, as over-pressurization can lead to dangerous malfunctions.
Wildbeeman
How did you find PF?
I posted a question in my browser
I shoot Pre charged Pneumatic (PCP) Pellet guns.

The problem with these air guns is the amount of energy, time and expense it takes to pressurize the vessels to a usable pressure.
Pressure’s can be as high as 4500 PSI .
The pressurized bottles are usually 300 to 500 cc’s.
I imagine using a 2 part (or more) chemical reaction that would cause a repeatable inert gas pressure when used in a bottle with a known volume.

I’m thinking in terms of a formula that amount of X when mixed with amount of R will pressurize a 500cc bottle to 4500 psi.
An instant rise in pressure would be undesirable due to safety concerns however may still be usable.

I’m interested in hearing any feedback that will help in my quest to find a solution .
Thank you
Wildbeeman

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Dreamer. :smile:

The New Member Introduction forum is just for brief introductions, not for questions. Your question may fit in the DIY forum or the Mechanical Engineering forum. Keep in mind that we cannot discuss dangerous activities here (that's in the PF rules, see INFO at the top of the page), so your thread may get shut down if it looks like you are trying to do things that are dangerous and you don't have much experience with (like certain chemical reactions).

It's probably best to stick with the proven technology for CO2 powered pellet guns. I prefer the pump type myself... :smile: