What are robots doing looking at the forums?

• Thread starter Daveyzombie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the presence of robots or web crawlers on the forum and their purpose. These robots, also known as web crawlers, are software routines that look at web pages and return information about the content. They are not intelligent and are simply programmed to respond to environments based on rules or scripts. The conversation also touches on the potential threat of these robots and suggests calling them "meatsack destroyers".
Daveyzombie
So I was looking through who is active at the moment on the forum and came across this:

Robot: Google AdSense

I was curious what a robot could be doing looking into "Best Physics book"--I think that was the post it was "looking" at.

Anyone have any ideas? haha

Physics news on Phys.org
On third position out of 700,000 results:

Untitled.png

Likes HyperTechno and berkeman
hmmm so they're just programs generating searches. I see haha

AdSense robot is not collecting data for search results, but checking the page content to choose relevant ads that are displayed on the page.

Likes OCR, Greg Bernhardt and Daveyzombie
Right now I see robots from Google, Bing, Yahoo, Baidu and Yandex, all of which are search engines.

I also see one from Proximic, which appears to be similar to Adsense, but for a different company.

And there's Majestic-12, which collects and sells data about links etc. to website operators, for search engine optimization.

I didn't go through the whole list, so there are probably other individual bots, but those cover the major categories, I think.

What are robots doing looking at the forums?

Preparing for the upcoming Robot Apocalypse.

Likes DennisN, mheslep, BCHC and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Presumably they don't post because "Can u help me kill all humanz please?!??" got them banned under the dangerous activities rules.

Likes DennisN, CalcNerd, berkeman and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Hah ! [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR]Let em' come... I've got one of my own.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :devil:

Maybe a bunch more, too... but I ain't sayin' ! [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :olduhh: [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldtongue:

F4-motion.gif

Last edited:
Likes Daveyzombie
jtbell said:
there are probably other individual bots
Of course, the black-helicopter bots (NSA, CIA, M12, KGB, UNCLE, SMERSH, KAOS et al.) don't identify themselves. :oldwink:

Likes OCR
They used to be called web crawlers originally, which seems an apt enough description of what they do.
I don't know why this changed to 'robots', but I think it's less descriptive, and invokes images of humanoid machines with highly advanced AI.
In fact they are just software routines running on servers and are not even vaguely intelligent, they just look at web pages and return information about the content.

Likes OCR
rootone said:
They used to be called web crawlers originally[...]I don't know why this changed to 'robots'[...]
In fact they are just software routines running on servers and are not even vaguely intelligent...

One can broadly describe robots as entities, bolts bits or otherwise, that respond to environments autonomously based on programmed rules or scripts. When one mentions robots in a factory context for example it can certainly imply vast complexity of sensing and control, however AI advanced or otherwise need not enter the picture outside of futuristic fiction plots.

Perhaps it's for the better that we dropped the relatively innocuous label "web crawler" and replaced it with "robot" as it reminds us of the more abstract and potentially threatening nature of these particular whirls of code.

krater said:
Perhaps it's for the better that we dropped the relatively innocuous label "web crawler" and replaced it with "robot" as it reminds us of the more abstract and potentially threatening nature of these particular whirls of code.

I say we go all the way and call them "meatsack destroyers". This is no time for half-measures!

Drakkith said:
I say we go all the way and call them "meatsack destroyers". This is no time for half-measures!

Sounds ok to me. When should we all change the filename on web servers to meatsack-destroyers.txt?

Likes Drakkith
krater said:
Sounds ok to me. When should we all change the filename on web servers to meatsack-destroyers.txt?

Even without changes to the robot exclusion standard it should be doable with a HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently.

Likes krater

Related to What are robots doing looking at the forums?

1. What is the purpose of robots looking at the forums?

The purpose of robots looking at the forums is to gather data and information in order to improve their algorithms and provide better services or products to users. They can also help with data analysis and identify trends or patterns.

2. How do robots access forums?

Robots can access forums through web crawling, which is a process of automatically browsing and gathering data from websites. They use specialized software called "crawlers" or "spiders" to navigate through the forum's pages and collect information.

3. Can robots participate in forum discussions?

No, robots do not have the ability to participate in forum discussions. They are programmed to only collect and analyze data, not to engage in conversations or interactions with other users.

4. Are there any benefits to having robots look at forums?

Yes, there can be several benefits to having robots look at forums. They can help with data collection and analysis, improve search engine results, and identify potential issues or trends that may need to be addressed. They can also provide automated customer support or recommendations based on forum discussions.

5. Are there any potential risks of robots looking at forums?

There can be potential risks of robots looking at forums, such as privacy concerns if personal information is collected. There is also a risk of misinformation if the robots are not properly programmed or if they rely on biased data. Additionally, if the forum has strict rules against web crawling, the robots may be violating the forum's terms of use.