What are Repulsive Casimir Forces?

• Thread starter alexgmcm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary: Has the force caused by the Casimir effect been measured experimentally? If so, does it give us a value for the vacuum density?No way. Really? Do you have a reference? In summary, Casimir forces exist between two materials and can be used to reduce static friction.
alexgmcm
I need to do a basic talk for a few minutes on Casimir forces and their effects on nanotechnology.

I kind of understand the basic concept of Casimir forces intuitively, as less virtual particles can exist in the standing wave state between the plates than can exist outside of the plates and hence the two plates are driven together. This has a classical analogue in the motion of two ships at sea that are arranged like the two plates, as it was known that the ships would approach one another.

I also understand that it is possible to create a repulsive Casimir force by controlling the optical properties of the plates and the mediums they are in. Is there any intuitive way to understand these repulsive Casimir forces or any way of easily explaining the mathematical description? If so, this would be greatly appreciated as I would like to mention how such repulsive forces would help to reduce static friction in nanotechnology.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has the force caused by the Casimir effect been measured experimentally? If so, does it give us a value for the vacuum density?

alexgmcm said:
I also understand that it is possible to create a repulsive Casimir force by controlling the optical properties of the plates and the mediums they are in.

No way. Really? Do you have a reference?

Last edited by a moderator:
alexgmcm said:
I need to do a basic talk for a few minutes on Casimir forces and their effects on nanotechnology.

I kind of understand the basic concept of Casimir forces intuitively, as less virtual particles can exist in the standing wave state between the plates than can exist outside of the plates and hence the two plates are driven together. This has a classical analogue in the motion of two ships at sea that are arranged like the two plates, as it was known that the ships would approach one another.

I also understand that it is possible to create a repulsive Casimir force by controlling the optical properties of the plates and the mediums they are in. Is there any intuitive way to understand these repulsive Casimir forces or any way of easily explaining the mathematical description? If so, this would be greatly appreciated as I would like to mention how such repulsive forces would help to reduce static friction in nanotechnology.

The description using virtual photon radiation pressure is the most intuitive I have found for basic explanations. There are many ways of calculating the Casimir force but I feel they are conceptually more diffcult to understand.

edpell said:
Has the force caused by the Casimir effect been measured experimentally? If so, does it give us a value for the vacuum density?

Yeah, there have been several experimental measurements and verifications of the Casimir force, starting in the 1990's. I recall though that the dielectric Casimir force was experimentally described using gases back in the 1950's or so, which prompted Lifgarbagez to develop his theory for dielectrics.

S. K. Lamoreaux, "Demonstration of the Casimir Force in the 0.6 to 6 µm Range", Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 5–8 (1997)

The above is typically the paper cited as one of the first measurements of the force. By vacuum density, do you mean the electromagnetic vacuum energy spectrum? Casimir force doesn't provide a means of measuring the energy spectrum because it only reacts to changes in the energy. We can always renormalize the vacuum energy to be zero and we will still have the same vacuum fluctuation behavior that gives rise to the Casimir force.

Phrak said:
No way. Really? Do you have a reference?

Yeah, it's been discussed in papers before though it requires dielectrics for it to occur from what I have read and the geometries can be a bit unusual. I think I recall one configuration being spherical dielectric inside another spherical dielectric shell.

Related to What are Repulsive Casimir Forces?

What are Repulsive Casimir Forces?

Repulsive Casimir forces are a type of quantum mechanical force that arises between two closely spaced objects due to fluctuations in the quantum vacuum. These forces are opposite to the well-known attractive Casimir forces and can occur between objects of any material, shape, or size.

How do Repulsive Casimir Forces work?

Repulsive Casimir forces arise due to the quantum fluctuations in the vacuum, which lead to the creation of virtual particles. These particles can interact with the surfaces of the objects, causing a repulsive force between them. This force is dependent on the distance between the objects and the materials they are made of.

What are the applications of Repulsive Casimir Forces?

Repulsive Casimir forces have potential applications in nanotechnology, where they can be used to manipulate and control the motion of small objects. They can also be used to create novel devices such as optical switches and nano-actuators.

What are the challenges in studying Repulsive Casimir Forces?

One of the main challenges in studying repulsive Casimir forces is the difficulty in accurately measuring them due to their small magnitude. Additionally, the complex nature of quantum mechanics makes it challenging to fully understand and predict these forces in different scenarios.

Are there any practical implications of Repulsive Casimir Forces?

While repulsive Casimir forces have potential applications, they are still in the early stages of research and development. Further studies and advancements are necessary before these forces can be implemented in practical devices and technologies.