What are possible subtopics for a physics extended essay on firearms?

In summary, the speaker is an IB student who has had technical difficulties with previous topics for their extended essay in physics. They are now considering firearms as a topic and have ideas for two subthesis on momentum laws and gas laws. They are seeking help with a third subthesis and mention a potential experiment involving a 22 rifle and a pendulum. Another speaker then shares their own experience with a similar experiment using an airsoft gun. The conversation then takes a detour to discuss the speaker's guns and the challenges of importing firearms in Canada.
Vodka
i'm starting [again] a physics topic for extended essay for IB...my last few topics haven't worked due to technical difficulties [ie: can't complete experiments, lack of avaliable resources, etc] so my new idea for a topic is firearms. the lab can easily be done by going to a shooting range sometime this week.

i'm looking to have at least three comprehensive subthesis', each focusing on a field of physics that is directly relevant. my ideas for two so far are:

momentum laws - primary/secondary recoil, terminal ballistics etc, all with a few relevant equations.

gas laws - actual firing of gun, how it cycles, noise generated and how it could be reduced, might be able to get some relevant figures [ratio of gunpowder grain to gaseous products]

i don't know what to do the last one on..kinematics and sound could be plasuable if i need, but are both sortof weak. so any sortof help would be great. thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
vodka, I don't have enough knowledge/ideas about rifles to help
except to dig up from memory an experiment that
a Freshman physics (like 1A or 1B) did years ago in class (!) with a 22.

I guess it was after class had ended.

there was a wooden frame like a sawhorse from which was
suspended a pendulum
and the pendulum bob was a large block of wood of known mass into which the bullet would embed itself on impact

the 22 rifle, IIRC, was clamped in a vise on the experiment bench.

an observer from the side (far enough away for safety)
could see what angle the pendulum swung

the bullet mass was determined
it was fired into the pendulum, which was hanging at rest,

the momentum imparted to the combined mass of wood block and slug
was determined from the angle of swing

the speed of the slug was calculated

perhaps this is a standard procedure
(i mention it only because it is all I got that is remotely
applicable)

BTW this seems potentially dangerous to me because the suspension of the pendulum is critical and the slug must hit dead center to avoid putting a torque on the block.

I'm not recommending this! It is just all I've seen done with firearms in first year college physics.

Last edited:
I did a similar experiment, except with an airsoft gun. It was hard to get a correct angle reading, but once I did, i was surprised by the accuracy of the experiment. The gun shot 280 FPS according to the manufacturer. My experiment found the average velocity around 260-270 FPS. Not bad!

on a completely tangential point, what gun do you have? ^_^

i got a mk23 socom kit and a tm mp5a4hg. it currently has a navy flashhider, clawmount, guarder 11stage RDS, 2 and 3 pt slings, 2x hicaps, 5x locaps, an ICS triplerail handgrip, mag clamp, large 8.4 3000mah battery in a case. in the process of purchasing a vertical handgrip, and looking into a better flashlight and laser pointer. I've spent so much, its obscene.

i get to spend about twice what you would for the same thing because of the stoopid importation laws in Canada. ah well. least we get trademarks and unpainted barrels

Related to What are possible subtopics for a physics extended essay on firearms?

1. What is the purpose of an extended essay topic question?

The extended essay topic question serves as the foundation for your research and writing in your extended essay. It should be a clear and focused question that you will investigate and answer through your research and analysis.

2. How do I choose a suitable extended essay topic question?

Choosing a suitable extended essay topic question can be a challenging task. It should be an area of personal interest and relevance, but also one that has enough available resources and information for you to conduct your research. You can consult with your supervisor and brainstorm ideas to help you select a suitable question.

3. Can I change my extended essay topic question after it has been approved?

Yes, you can change your extended essay topic question after it has been approved, but it should be done with caution and in consultation with your supervisor. Changing your question can significantly impact your research and writing process, so it is essential to carefully consider the implications before making any changes.

4. How do I ensure my extended essay topic question is specific and focused?

To ensure your extended essay topic question is specific and focused, it is essential to have a clear understanding of the subject area and relevant concepts. You can also conduct preliminary research to identify any gaps in the existing literature and refine your question to fill those gaps. Consulting with your supervisor can also help you make your question more specific and focused.

5. Can I use a research question that has already been explored in previous extended essays?

It is not recommended to use a research question that has already been explored in previous extended essays. Your extended essay should be original and provide a unique contribution to the subject area. Using a question that has already been answered can result in a lack of originality and may impact your assessment.