What are other names for bending stress?

In summary, the user is trying to find the bending stress from a database using the engineers theory of bending and has provided the values for bending moment, E, R, o, and y. They are unsure of what name the bending stress would be under in the database, but it is likely the maximum bending stress that the material can withstand, which would be the same as the tensile strength if the component is under tension.
John1661
Hello, I need to input the bending stress from a database I am not sure what name it is, would it be yield strength or tensile strength? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
John1661 said:
Hello, I need to input the bending stress from a database I am not sure what name it is, would it be yield strength or tensile strength? thanks
A stress is not a strength.
Please post full details of the problem.

haruspex said:
A stress is not a strength.
Please post full details of the problem.
Hello,

I am using the engineers theory of bending M/I = E/R =o/y

I have M = bending moment 11.408 Nm
I = unknown
E= 6828*10^10 pascals
R=unknown
o=in materials database
y=perpendicular distance of a point in the beam from its neutral axis, the beam is .124m long with a vertical load from the centre so I think this value is 0.062m

So I was planning to use R=o/YR to find R

then with R I can use I=E/MR

So I believe I have all the given values I am told the bending stress is in the database that's where I am to find it, I have a list youngs modulus specific stiffness yield strength tensile strength specific strength and other values,

So I'm stuck on what the name of bending stress is meant to be in the database to continue working values out.

Sounds like you want the maximum bending stress the material can withstand. If the component is under tension then this would be the same as the tensile strength.

Related to What are other names for bending stress?

1. What is bending stress?

Bending stress, also known as flexural stress, is a type of stress that occurs in an object when it is subjected to a bending force or moment. It is caused by the distribution of internal forces acting on the object, resulting in tension on one side and compression on the other.

2. What are some other names for bending stress?

Besides bending stress and flexural stress, this type of stress may also be referred to as flexion stress, transverse stress, or lateral stress. These terms all describe the same phenomenon of stress caused by bending or curving an object.

3. In what situations does bending stress occur?

Bending stress can occur in any situation where an object is being bent or curved. This could be due to an external force, such as a person standing on a plank, or an internal force, such as a beam supporting a load. Bending stress can also occur naturally, such as in the branches of a tree swaying in the wind.

4. How is bending stress calculated?

The magnitude of bending stress can be calculated using the formula σ = Mc/I, where σ represents stress, M represents the bending moment, c represents the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the object, and I represents the moment of inertia. This formula is known as the flexure formula and is commonly used in engineering and physics.

5. What are some real-world examples of bending stress?

Bending stress is a common occurrence in everyday life and can be seen in many objects and structures. Some examples include bridges, beams, bicycle frames, and even bones in the human body. It is an important factor to consider in the design and construction of many structures and can have significant effects on their strength and durability.