What are Opinions on USB Turntables for Digitizing LPs?

In summary, the conversation discusses options for digitizing LPs and opinions on USB turntables. The suggested method is to use a professional DJ turntable with line out and a decent-quality sound card for better sound quality.
Computer science news on Phys.org
Looks interesting. Unfortunately they do not really say much about the turntable mechanics. It looks like it may be pretty good, hard to tell. The price is not prohibitive, I'd say go for it.. let me know how it works. o:)

I had pretty good luck capturing vinyl using a headphone out jack to my sound card. I usedhttp://audacity.sourceforge.net/" to capture. Unfortunately the turntable I now have is pretty basic, my had never used anything other then a Shure stylus tracking at .75g. I got separated from my good turntable during my trip to Pa (in your neighborhood) back in '86. The new one looks like something you would tape a dime to for tracking force adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what I would do? Find a A/V shop that will rent you a professional quality DJ turntable, one with line out (not phono out), and use a decent-quality sound card to capture the sound from it.

Voila -- you'll get better sound quality than with these $100 pieces of crap, and you won't waste $100 on a piece of crap you'll never use again.

- Warren

Related to What are Opinions on USB Turntables for Digitizing LPs?

What is a USB turntable?

A USB turntable is a record player that has a USB port, allowing it to connect to a computer and convert vinyl records into digital audio files.

What are the benefits of a USB turntable?

The main benefit of a USB turntable is the ability to digitize your vinyl record collection. This allows for easier storage and access to your music, as well as the ability to listen to your records on digital devices. USB turntables also often have built-in speakers and can play records at different speeds.

Are USB turntables better than traditional record players?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and intended use. USB turntables are more versatile in terms of connectivity and digitization capabilities, but traditional record players may have a warmer, more authentic sound. It's important to research and compare different models to find the best fit for your needs.

Do I need any special software to use a USB turntable?

Most USB turntables come with their own software for converting records to digital files. However, some may also be compatible with third-party software. It's important to check the specifications of the turntable you are considering to ensure compatibility with your computer and desired software.

What features should I look for in a USB turntable?

Some important features to consider when choosing a USB turntable include sound quality, compatibility with different record sizes and speeds, connectivity options, and included software. It's also helpful to read reviews and compare prices to find the best value for your needs.