What are my chances to be accepted in a PhD Physics program?

In summary: You have worked hard for this.In summary, the student is worried about their chances of being accepted into a graduate school this year. They have a good academic record, are a member of a leading neutrino oscillation experiment, and have given several conference speeches. They are worried about their chances because they do not have any powerful recommendations. They have also applied to several universities and are hoping to be accepted into at least two.
MayCaesar
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! :wink:

As you have probably already guessed, this New Year is especially important for me since it is the time when I fill the applications for US graduate schools on Physics. I am more than a little bit worried about my chances since, in case I won't enter any graduate school this year, I will have to serve in my country's army for a year, according to the law, and, I'm afraid, if that happens, my career in physics that has been going quite well so far may be destroyed.
So, I want you guys to assure me that everything is going to be fine. :smile: Please tell me honestly what, in your opinion, are my chances to get into one of the universities I apply to?

I'll try to sum up the most important facts about my background.

---

I am a Russian student of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT, the highest ranked university on physics in Russia) receiving my Master's degree this summer. Program of Fundamental Interactions and Cosmology.
GPA: 4.63 / 5 overall, 4.67 / 5 in Bachelor's diploma.
TOEFL: 99 (every subscore >=22)
GRE: 164 Quant. (89%), 151 Verb. (49%), 4.5 Anal. (78%), 840 Phys. (78%)

I have participated in the T2K experiment in Japan for 3 years, including 3 collaboration meetings visited in Japan. I have 5 collaboration papers with 200+ names including mine, and a publication in popular Russian journal "Nuclear Physics and Engineering" co-authored by my supervisor. I have some results, not incredibly outstanding, but useful for the experiment nonetheless.
I also have a total of 4 conference speeches: 3 on my institute's conferences and one on an international conference in Moscow.

I'm going to continue working in experimental particle physics and, so, I apply for the programs with opportunities for PhD students in popular particle experiments, such as T2K, ATLAS, CMS, D0, MiniBooNE, etc. Here are the universities I decided to apply (deadlines there are relatively late, so I am no late at all):
University of Toronto
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Louisiana State University
Colorado State University
University of New Mexico
Florida State University
University of California - Riverside
New Mexico State University
University of Houston
University of Kansas
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
University of Oklahoma
University of Delaware

Strong points: 3 years of participating in the leading neutrino oscillation experiment in the world, I think, is the strongest advantage I have over most other applicants. 6 publications, although 5 of them are co-authored by 200+ other people, should also help me a lot. Also, I think, my GRE Physics result is very good for the universities outside of top-40 or so.
Also a very strong point is the amount of courses we have in MIPT. For example, in Bachelor's diploma I have 1330 hours of General Physics course, 615 hours of Mathematical Analysis, 432 hours of Theoretical Physics and many different courses on experimental and theoretical particle physics. I don't think committees will have much doubt about my academic readiness for the PhD study.

Weak points: The weakest point is recommendations, I think. The problem is I haven't persuaded my research supervisor to send more than 3 recommendation letters totally, so in most universities committee will probably be curious why I don't get a recommendation letter from him. Also, my GRE General Verbal score is quite low, although I've heard that it is far less important for international students (I hope I'm right) and my Quantitative score should more than compensate for it.

---

So, how would you evaluate my chances? Should I add 2-3 "weak" universities as a safe heaven, or should I expect to be accepted in at least 2-3 programs?

Thank you very much for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should also take your TOEFL exams since most US institutions will require that from non-English speaking students.

Based on your academic record and the group of universities that you applied to, I'd say you have a good chance at being accepted to quite few of them.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You should also take your TOEFL exams since most US institutions will require that from non-English speaking students.

Based on your academic record and the group of universities that you applied to, I'd say you have a good chance at being accepted to quite few of them.

Zz.
Thank you for moral support. :smile: I get the feeling that I underestimate myself too much. Many people tell me I have good chances, but for some reason I am a bit skeptical.

As for TOEFL, I have taken it with a result of 99/120. Not excellent, but far above the minimal requirement of 80 for most of the universities I apply to.

I would be surprised if you didn't get into at least half of them, provided you tailored your research interests in SOP's to the departments' strengths (ie: they have profs in the field with sufficient grant money for new RA's in the coming years).

But certainly try to do something about your 3rd letter writer. It's not like he/she needs to write a new letter for each school and most reference letters these days are sent electronically.

While I agree that you'll probably get into many of them, I think you need to get a letter from your supervisor. Indeed, your letters should be from a) your supervisor, b) someone else on T2K, and c) whomever you think will best complement a) and b).

The weak point is actually the GRE score. You have a masters from the best school in Russia, and have spent a jillion hours in classes. Why then did you score only in the 78th percentile? It would be good to be able to answer this objection by having three strong letters. You want to get in on the strength of the recommendations, with the test scores being good enough, and not the other way around.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why then did you score only in the 78th percentile? It would be good to be able to answer this objection by having three strong letters. You want to get in on the strength of the recommendations, with the test scores being good enough, and not the other way around.

At the risk of going off on a tangent, how is the OP's PGRE score a weak link? This is way above the admitted student averages for many of the US schools he posted (an exhaustive list of scores from admitted students can be found here). In fact I do not think it is far-fetched to say the OP has decent chances at much, much higher ranked schools if the OP's research interests are the right fit for the departments (or vice-versa).

Lavabug said:
But certainly try to do something about your 3rd letter writer. It's not like he/she needs to write a new letter for each school and most reference letters these days are sent electronically.
The problem is, he does not want to do it principally, claiming that applying to more than 2-3 programs means that I do not know where I want to go. Well, I tried arguing with him, but... Different people are different.
In fact, 3 of the universities I apply to have T2K groups, and my supervisor agreed to write letters for all of them. So, I think, at least one of these universities is almost guaranteed, unless the groups are really full and accept no one else.

Vanadium 50 said:
The weak point is actually the GRE score. You have a masters from the best school in Russia, and have spent a jillion hours in classes. Why then did you score only in the 78th percentile? It would be good to be able to answer this objection by having three strong letters. You want to get in on the strength of the recommendations, with the test scores being good enough, and not the other way around.
I actually thought that my GRE General Verbal Reasoning is the weakest score. GRE Physics, while certainly could be much better if I tried at least a little bit hard to prepare, is, as Lavabug said, above averages to most of the schools I apply to. It would certainly rise some questions should I have applied to MIT or CalTech, but I don't think it will in these universities.

Lavabug said:
In fact I do not think it is far-fetched to say the OP has decent chances at much, much higher ranked schools if the OP's research interests are the right fit for the departments (or vice-versa).
Well, there are a few reasons why I didn't apply to schools from top 20 (except for University of Toronto, which is 21st in world ranking). First of all, I was a bit afraid that I would get into none of them, and then, given my described situation, my scientific career would be halted - I did not want to risk, and, since I am a student from not very rich country with respective financial situation, I just didn't have enough money to apply to 10 top universities and 10 average ones, so I decided to apply to those that seem quite possible to enter. The other reason may seem foolish, but I, in fact, am very tired of the academic challenges we had in MIPT: first 2 years were simply a nightmare, and 3rd and 4th years were very hard as well. I would like to have a little less intense academic pressure as I work on my PhD and to have more time freed for actual research. I know it is wrong and it is best to study at the best university possible, but... I can be a little lazy sometimes. :shy:

You should explain to your advisor that graduate applications for foreigners in the US is a strongly stochastic process... I'm also from the old continent and I've encountered similar amazement from profs when I mention I'm applying to around a dozen US schools. One of my writers did his phd in the US and naturally didn't bat an eye when I said I was applying to that many. So it looks like it's a cultural thing.

Your first reason is IMO unfounded, I think you really have a good chance at higher ranked schools so if you still have time (and feel like it), you might want to get a bit more ambitious and add some more schools/substitute some of the schools you don't like too much from your list with ones you really do. Rutgers is a strong school in your field for instance, and I can think about half a dozen others in the Northeast you probably have a chance at. We are pretty close to deadlines though... and I totally understand the financial considerations (I literally had to choose between paying January's rent and applying to 1-2 more schools).

Also I am not sure that the prestige of the graduate institution correlates well with the intensity/difficulty of the course loads. US grad school is focused on research, as opposed to the EU where you get to do solely coursework all the way til you finish a MS (I'm sure your core analytical mechanics, QM, EM, and math coursework is leaps beyond the average US undergrad physics student's, you've probably already dealt with Goldstein, Jackson, Landau's etc. in your courses)

Well, I tried, but I am pretty sure his say is final. He has had a few students previously who went for PhD overseas as well, and, according to them, he never gives more than 2-3 recommendations. I don't think it is much of an issue though, although maybe I misjudge the committees.

Actually, I like all the schools I apply to pretty much. Your advice is good, though. Maybe I should try to aim a little bit higher and choose 2-3 universities from top 30 or so. But, yes, the deadline for most top universities is 5 January or earlier. I am going to Japan quite soon for the collaboration meeting, so there is not much time to decide. I will look at some of them after New Year.

Honestly, I did not do really well on my 4th-6th year academically. Although my grades were still good at that period, I did not pay much attention to anything beside my research. I took many courses that all people on our faculty take, such as Quantum Field Theory, Accelerator Physics, Cosmology, Theoretical Particle Physics, Nuclear Physics... But, in the end, I did not study them well enough and, by now, forgot almost everything from them.
Math and physics courses on the starting 3 years were very extensive and useful, however. You are probably right that they are well beyond many US undergraduate schools. However, there are certainly some things that I do not know from US undergraduate programs, since Russian programs are a bit different in some aspects - for example, our Math courses pay much attention to theorems and their proofs (we actually had to learn over 40 proofs by heart for most verbal exams), something that very rarely happens in US Math courses. Anyway, I think the first 1-2 terms will be quite hard, and, while I will certainly put much effort in them (more than I have put in my 2 Master's years, certainly), I would like to have some time left for research as well.

MayCaesar said:
It would certainly rise some questions should I have applied to MIT or CalTech, but I don't think it will in these universities.

And I am telling you why. (Although I am perpetually amazed at the fact that students going through the process tell someone who has actually been on the other side admitting students that he's wrong)

First, Lavabug's link is suspect. University of Washington has a mere twenty points between ("likely to get you in" and "extremely difficult for admission". Twenty-one schools appear to have a single "you're in" threshold. I'm sure they did the best they could, but the outcome is simply not reasonable. If nothing else, the weight given to the PGRE is way too high.

The perception is that foreign students have a lower rate of making it through grad school. I don't know if it is statistically true, but anecdotal evidence abounds. Also, as a rule, students complaint rates about TA language abilities tend to be higher for foreign students. So since the school is taking more of a risk, they want to see a good reason for doing so, and thus the standards move: a foreign student needs a better portfolio than a domestic one.

Now, onto the PGRE score. You can ignore the general GRE. The school will. The only GRE that matters is Physics. 78% is good. But it's not great, and when you consider that you have a Masters, not just a bachelors, and consider that it's from the best school in Russia, it starts to look anomalously low. Will it matter at some schools? Probably. Will it matter at all of them? Probably not. Will you be in better shape with three strong letters of the sort I describe? Yes,

Vanadium 50 said:
Now, onto the PGRE score. You can ignore the general GRE. The school will. The only GRE that matters is Physics. 78% is good. But it's not great, and when you consider that you have a Masters, not just a bachelors, and consider that it's from the best school in Russia, it starts to look anomalously low. Will it matter at some schools? Probably. Will it matter at all of them? Probably not. Will you be in better shape with three strong letters of the sort I describe? Yes,
I see your point. It is reasonable to expect from someone from the best university in Russia, and with Master's degree, and with research in the top neutrino oscillation experiment, to have a very high Physics score.

However, I have a GPA of 4.63 that is far from perfect, my Verbal Reasoning (although not important) is just quite bad (49%), and even Quantitative Reasoning is below 90%. I think it is easy to see just from these numbers that I am certainly not the best student of my school, just slightly above average, I would say. So it would be reasonable to expect just "good" Physics result, not "great".

Is average Harvard student better than a great student of Louisiana State University? I don't think so, and, I guess, neither do committees. I'm not making any claims, I'm just trying to deduce the committees' logic. Why would they expect something academically extraordinary from an average student of the best Russian school? My research results, publications, conference speeches are good, and my academics are average - quite common situation for many people who start doing research on their 2nd-3rd year. Is the Physics result really so anomalous compared to other data? Well, maybe it is, but, honestly, other MIPT students had similar results to mine (actually, mine is a bit above average among the MIPT students - usually they get about 700).

Like I said. At some places it will matter. At other places it won't. Will you be in better shape with three strong letters of the sort I describe? Yes.

Hello everyone again. The holidays were quite intense, and I have applied to 15 universities in total:

1) University of Toronto
2) University of Tennessee, Knoxville
3) Louisiana State University
4) Colorado State University
5) University of New Mexico
6) Florida State University
7) University of California - Riverside
8) New Mexico State University
9) University of Kansas
10) University of Nebraska - Lincoln
11) University of Oklahoma
12) University of South Carolina
13) University of Florida
14) Oklahoma State University
15) University of Notre Dame

Now I just need to rally my recommenders so they send their letters as soon as possible (I didn't manage to persuade my supervisor to write more letters though), and wait for decisions. Now that I'm done with applications, I have much more confidence in my chances. Still, there are a few worries and uncertainties since I don't know the actual consideration procedure very well. So I want to ask a few questions.

1) Are telephone interviews usually necessary? I have not found much information about it sadly, and so far I only know that University of California - Riverside has an interview right before they make their final decision.
Also, do these interview happen in a time pointed in advance? Or do they just call at random time? Since I apply to so many universities, I cannot possibly remember all the details about their programs, so such a random interview would be quite dangerous. Also, do they do this on phone exclusively, or is there an option to have an interview in Skype? I will be in Japan from Jan 17 to Feb 9 and my phone won't work there sadly.

2) They say the first offers of enrollment come as early as late January. Is it so in reality? If I don't have any offers (or denials) by the middle of February or so, should I be alarmed?

3) How early is it possible to get to the US, to get a room in campus and to start doing some work in university? The problem is, after I receive the Master's diploma in late June, I will be eligible to being recruited in the army, so I really need to get out of the country as soon as possible (don't worry, I'm not breaking the law, and they don't have right to summon me while I'm abroad; however, they can summon me at any time while I'm in the country, and that is disturbing).
Ideally, I would like to board the plane the next day after I receive the diploma, or about Jun 20. Well, it would be good to have 2-3 days to spend with my family as I won't see them in a very-very long time after that. But by early July I desperately need to be in the US, or the situation might get tricky.

4) How do the listed universities (except for University of Toronto, since it is evidently one of the highest ranked universities in the world) fair on the job market? Will I have a good chance to stay in the US after getting the PhD, meaning will I have much problem looking for a Postdoc position in Physics? Also, do I understand correctly that getting a Postdoc position in the university one graduates from is generally quite easy, or is it just as hard as getting it anywhere else?

Sorry for taking so much of your time, but I really want to ensure that everything is going to be fine in all this business.

I attend University of Toronto, and most of the grad students I know here had similar (some better, some worse) stats as you do. Most profs that I know have been on admission committee say they put a lot of emphasis on the statement of purpose. For Russian students, they want a GPA of 4.3/5 or better. They don't even require GRE scores, so unless you feel like they will help your application, don't attach them.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the information. I think my SoP is good: it describes in great detail what I did in T2K and what results I got and it points out specific research areas in a given university I am interested in. Specifically for University of Toronto, there is an active T2K group that, I think, may be decisive in the committee's decision. Unfortunately, the only professor accepting PhD students for the experiment recently retired, but the group is still there, so maybe I will find a place there eventually.

3) will depend on when you can get your F-1 visa status, I have no idea how long this takes. But I'm guessing it may not happen before the summer, perhaps some foreign grad student in the US could chime in (or try asking at pgre forums). If it's that pressing of an issue in July, maybe you can try taking a vacation elsewhere until your visa status kicks in.

1) Some schools conduct phone/skype interviews as tie breakers, search your institutions at thegradcafe and pgre forums for info on past applicants as occasionally some mention if and when they were interviewed.

2) No need to worry. Offers can come as late as April and in some cases even beyond that if you were waitlisted and they happen to have funding for an extra student (but this is extremely rare past April 15th). Admissions offers are usually through Feb-March.

Thank you for the response.

I contacted the military department today, and they said that I cannot be summoned if I have a proof (F-1 visa) that I am going to study abroad. However, it will only be a proof once I receive it; until then, they can summon me at any moment. So it is very important that I receive the visa by the end of June. If not, I will have to wait in the country nearby, which is not very bad, but not exactly... legal. I hope it will not come to this.

As for (3), if money to live on is a consideration, you probably won't receive your first graduate-student stipend payment until end of August or end of September, depending on the terms of your contract with the university. Therefore you'll need to have at least two or three months' worth of living expenses in hand if you arrive in early July.

Yes, I am aware of that. I am a relatively poor student (in fact, I'm struggling to squeeze a little bit more money to apply to 1-2 more universities). But I'm going to Japan in a week, and my salary there for 4 weeks will give me about $2,000. Also I'm saving my stipend (it is small, about $300 a month, but still). With all considerations, I would say I will probably have, after booking the trip, at least $3,000 when I arrive to the US. Should be enough for 3 months, I will just need to find a cheap accomodation, which should be possible: in 2010 on a student exchange program I paid only $200 a month for a house rented with 10 more students.

Do they allow students to live in campus in July-August, by the way?

Hooray, I was admitted to University of Kansas! All my fears were for nothing: this summer I'm finally starting working on my PhD in US. The dream of over 10 years has come true!
I will still wait for responses from other schools, but UK is one of my top choices, so I know for sure that I will study where I want to anyway.

Thank you guys very much for support, your posts certainly made me feel better about my chances and not worry as much as I used to about the possibility of failure. I will write again when I decide where I go in the end.

Cheers!

Yay :thumbs:! Congrats, MayCaesar.

Hello everyone again,

And sorry for not updating you on my successes. There has been a lot going on recently, with 3 weeks trip for conference to Japan, with all these admission matters and such.

The results exceeded even my most daring expectations. I have already been accepted to 11 schools out of 16, and not a single rejection so far! And one of my 2 top choices is secured! :

University of Toronto still has not made their decision, but Canadian universities are usually later with decision, and I really shouldn't expect it earlier than early March, probably even later. But I have been accepted to University of Notre Dame (#18 US, #90 World Ranking) - I didn't even dream of actually entering it when I started this applications endeavor and applied there "just in case", without any real hope. Opportunities there are absolutely fantastic: all students having chosen high energy live from 1 to 2 years in Switzerland and work on the LHC, and those having chosen astrophysics (which I am currently inclined to) get to work with direct data collected from the Hubble telescope and a few more telescopes, and after graduation many students start working in NASA, something I foolishly dreamed of while watching those National Geographic documentaries and, listening to a professor talking about planets with "NASA" word on the sculpture behind him, thinking, "In some other life I, perhaps, would be as happy as this guy". I still cannot believe it, but I really have done the impossible and got accepted into one of the top 20 US universities!

Has anyone of you worked or studied in Notre Dame? Do you think it is a better choice than University of Toronto to which I have not been yet accepted but, judging from my earlier success, well can be? Currently I am only really choosing from these two schools, and, if UT doesn't accept me, the choice is clear, but if it does... Anyway, I am already choosing between schools I've never dreamed of being able to get into, so I am as happy as a human being can get, and possibility to choose not the best one of them doesn't pose any inconvenience. It is just much harder to choose between two heavenly choices than between two average choices when, no matter what you choose, you end up having something average.

So were you finally able to get your adviser to write more than 3 letters of recommendation for you?

Also, have any of the universities made any funding offers so far?

Last edited:
No, my adviser wrote not even 3, but 2 letters in the end. Letters for all other universities instead of him were written by my colleague who worked in our group as PhD student and is currently working in Spain as Postdoc. I know it is not recommended for letters to be written by Postdocs, but, it seems, this rule is very optional.

All universities that accepted me offer full covering of tuition fees and expenses, as well as TA. The amount of TA varies from $1,200 to $2,500 a month, and also some universities offer me additional fellowships.

It seems I had good chances to be even accepted to one of the top 10 schools. For some reason I strongly underestimated my chances and was afraid of not getting into any school at all. Also, what I found is that taken courses and research experience may be much more important than letters of recommendation and test scores, provided they are very good, of course. All universities that accepted me wrote that they were strongly impressed by my list of taken courses, and most of them offered some kind of fellowship or opportunities for start working on the research in the field I am currently working.

In case of Notre Dame, I am planning to switch from high energy physics to astrophysics. They say it is not hard to do so, I will just need to take some additional astrophysics courses and start working with some of the groups very early, preferably right from July when I arrive there, to be doing some serious research by the time academic courses will be over and I will mostly work on my PhD thesis.

MayCaesar said:
Hello everyone again,

And sorry for not updating you on my successes. There has been a lot going on recently, with 3 weeks trip for conference to Japan, with all these admission matters and such.

The results exceeded even my most daring expectations. I have already been accepted to 11 schools out of 16, and not a single rejection so far! And one of my 2 top choices is secured! :

University of Toronto still has not made their decision, but Canadian universities are usually later with decision, and I really shouldn't expect it earlier than early March, probably even later. But I have been accepted to University of Notre Dame (#18 US, #90 World Ranking) - I didn't even dream of actually entering it when I started this applications endeavor and applied there "just in case", without any real hope. Opportunities there are absolutely fantastic: all students having chosen high energy live from 1 to 2 years in Switzerland and work on the LHC, and those having chosen astrophysics (which I am currently inclined to) get to work with direct data collected from the Hubble telescope and a few more telescopes, and after graduation many students start working in NASA, something I foolishly dreamed of while watching those National Geographic documentaries and, listening to a professor talking about planets with "NASA" word on the sculpture behind him, thinking, "In some other life I, perhaps, would be as happy as this guy". I still cannot believe it, but I really have done the impossible and got accepted into one of the top 20 US universities!

Has anyone of you worked or studied in Notre Dame? Do you think it is a better choice than University of Toronto to which I have not been yet accepted but, judging from my earlier success, well can be? Currently I am only really choosing from these two schools, and, if UT doesn't accept me, the choice is clear, but if it does... Anyway, I am already choosing between schools I've never dreamed of being able to get into, so I am as happy as a human being can get, and possibility to choose not the best one of them doesn't pose any inconvenience. It is just much harder to choose between two heavenly choices than between two average choices when, no matter what you choose, you end up having something average.

First of all congratulations, let me be the first to say "I told you so". :)

FYI, check this year's and previous year's admissions dates at thegradcafe.com, should give you a rough idea when you can expect a reply from schools you haven't heard from yet. I have seen Toronto's astro dept. has already been sending out some admissions. I'm not sure about HEP, but in astro they are one of the big 5 powerhouses of reserach in the world.

IMO, you shouldn't pick the school based on rankings, rather their research output and connections in your specific field, unless you want to work in something like Wall St. afterwards.

If at all possible, I'd reccomend visiting some the schools even if you think you wouldn't pick them right now. Ask about travel reimbursements within the US, you might be surprised and some may even totally fund your travel and lodging to help you with the decision. One of the 2 schools I got accepted at offered this and I'm a semi-international, the other didn't because I hadn't told them I would be in the US around that time (thus making it sensible to offer me transport assistence) but still managed to squeeze me in their open house day with some lodging.

Lavabug said:
I'm not sure about HEP, but in astro they are one of the big 5 powerhouses of reserach in the world.
Ah, you just ruined my calmness! :smile: I was just about to accept the offer from Notre Dame, trying to convince myself that astrophysics there is better than in UT, but so many people keep telling me that UT is one of the top schools in this field...

However, I'm still favoring Notre-Dame for a number of reasons. It is located in the USA where I intended to study originally, it has times more funding, the people are really interested in working with me (I have received independent e-mails from 3 professors already who offered me to work with them, while in UT they even don't answer my questions about when I should expect the decision; I am quite shocked by their responsiveness, by the way, I didn't expect such slow reactions from #20 university in the world), and the amount of TA (a minimum of $2,000 a month) is much higher than in UT ($1,300 a month), although in UT it is just a "clear" stipend, I won't have to lead seminars/labs.

Lavabug said:
If at all possible, I'd reccomend visiting some the schools even if you think you wouldn't pick them right now. Ask about travel reimbursements within the US, you might be surprised and some may even totally fund your travel and lodging to help you with the decision. One of the 2 schools I got accepted at offered this and I'm a semi-international, the other didn't because I hadn't told them I would be in the US around that time (thus making it sensible to offer me transport assistence) but still managed to squeeze me in their open house day with some lodging.
Well, I would love to do it, and I even considered it before starting sending applications. However, after applying to 16 schools, I completely ran out of money, I literally only have around $500 right now, and this money is going to be spent on visa, on DHL (I still have to send the official transcript to the school I will select), and I will have to accumulate some money for the flight ticket and for the first 2 months, until the TA starts being paid. Even if they agree to fund my travel fully (which I doubt since they already are offering me fantastic financial benefits), it will take some time, and I need to decide quite soon.

---

Also, I have a problem now. Some universities (specifically, University of Kansas and New Mexico State University), having been told by me that I am favoring ND over them, started raising their offers. In KU they offer me very high TA, monthly Fellowship and one-time Scholarship, which is absolutely fantastic; I have also been contacted by 2 professors and they are trying hard to convince me to choose their university (very politely, of course). Something similar has been offered in NMSU.

I do not know how to politely refuse their offers. I have completely decided that I will go either to University of Notre Dame or in University of Toronto (provided I'm accepted), but I do not want to send the official declines yet - I want to have some room for action in case of some emergency. However, keeping telling them that I really appreciate their offer but cannot yet tell them my final decision only seems to nudge them to try harder to convince me. I don't know how to make it clear that I am not considering them really, and yet I do not want to officially decline yet.

I have read that it is possible to recommend other students for this offer. I have a friend who also works in T2K group and also dreams of studying in the US, and he would be really happy to study in KU - but he hasn't taken GRE General yet (he has taken two other tests though) and he hasn't applied to KU or to any universities at all. Can I recommend him in these circumstances?

---

Finally, I have something that bothers me. In my Statement of Purpose for each university I wrote that I was interested exclusively in working in High Energy physics. Now that I am seriously considering astrophysics, I have worries that it can get me some problems. The universities accepted me based on my interests, among other things. Is it OK to choose astrophysics anyway? I know that it won't be a problem when I arrive and actually start studying - many people change their fields from time to time. But, as of now, is it OK to honestly write to faculties that I am interested in astrophysics? Won't they take it as a lie in SoP in order to raise chances to get accepted?

MayCaesar said:
Ah, you just ruined my calmness! :smile: I was just about to accept the offer from Notre Dame, trying to convince myself that astrophysics there is better than in UT, but so many people keep telling me that UT is one of the top schools in this field...

However, I'm still favoring Notre-Dame for a number of reasons. It is located in the USA where I intended to study originally, it has times more funding, the people are really interested in working with me (I have received independent e-mails from 3 professors already who offered me to work with them, while in UT they even don't answer my questions about when I should expect the decision; I am quite shocked by their responsiveness, by the way, I didn't expect such slow reactions from #20 university in the world), and the amount of TA (a minimum of $2,000 a month) is much higher than in UT ($1,300 a month), although in UT it is just a "clear" stipend, I won't have to lead seminars/labs.

Well, I would love to do it, and I even considered it before starting sending applications. However, after applying to 16 schools, I completely ran out of money, I literally only have around $500 right now, and this money is going to be spent on visa, on DHL (I still have to send the official transcript to the school I will select), and I will have to accumulate some money for the flight ticket and for the first 2 months, until the TA starts being paid. Even if they agree to fund my travel fully (which I doubt since they already are offering me fantastic financial benefits), it will take some time, and I need to decide quite soon.

---

Also, I have a problem now. Some universities (specifically, University of Kansas and New Mexico State University), having been told by me that I am favoring ND over them, started raising their offers. In KU they offer me very high TA, monthly Fellowship and one-time Scholarship, which is absolutely fantastic; I have also been contacted by 2 professors and they are trying hard to convince me to choose their university (very politely, of course). Something similar has been offered in NMSU.

I do not know how to politely refuse their offers. I have completely decided that I will go either to University of Notre Dame or in University of Toronto (provided I'm accepted), but I do not want to send the official declines yet - I want to have some room for action in case of some emergency. However, keeping telling them that I really appreciate their offer but cannot yet tell them my final decision only seems to nudge them to try harder to convince me. I don't know how to make it clear that I am not considering them really, and yet I do not want to officially decline yet.

I have read that it is possible to recommend other students for this offer. I have a friend who also works in T2K group and also dreams of studying in the US, and he would be really happy to study in KU - but he hasn't taken GRE General yet (he has taken two other tests though) and he hasn't applied to KU or to any universities at all. Can I recommend him in these circumstances?

---

Finally, I have something that bothers me. In my Statement of Purpose for each university I wrote that I was interested exclusively in working in High Energy physics. Now that I am seriously considering astrophysics, I have worries that it can get me some problems. The universities accepted me based on my interests, among other things. Is it OK to choose astrophysics anyway? I know that it won't be a problem when I arrive and actually start studying - many people change their fields from time to time. But, as of now, is it OK to honestly write to faculties that I am interested in astrophysics? Won't they take it as a lie in SoP in order to raise chances to get accepted?

Funny, I had exactly the same amount of cash left over after applications, travel, and all the bureaucratic fees for getting my degree and its validation for the US.

I think you are looking at Toronto's slowness the wrong way. Though I'm sure Notre Dame is an excellent school, the demand for graduate study at Toronto especially in astro and physics probably at the very least an order of magnitude greater. It's a much bigger school and it is extremely strong in the field, plus the application process for Canadian schools has slightly less bureaucracy than any given US school for an international (GRE's are optional in most cases), another reason they get a huge number of applications, like other Canadian programs like PI.

I think it's normal for them to take a while to get back to you, they have more applications to deal with. It's also very normal for the lower ranked schools you got into to be doing their best to get the students with the best looking records and research history to attend. It must be flattering to get those kinds of persuasive offers.

No idea about your last question.

Well, I guess I just have certain prejudices against University of Toronto. I have always dreamed to study in the US and only in the US, so expecting an offer from, even if the best, Canadian school does leave me with certain skepticism. Although, now I am not so sure that "only US" is a good approach - after all, I will be able to move to where I want after graduation, while education better be the best I can get, regardless of the school's location or delay of their responses.

I still have no idea how to politely "decline but not exactly decline" their offers. In University of Kansas, I think, they are offering me 3 fellowships/scholarships simultaneously, which, together with TA, would give me as much money per month as I have never even dreamed of earning working in physics! I do not really care about money - I think, better education will give me progressively more money in the future, so all I should care right now is about quality of education and research opportunities, and they are better in Notre Dame and Toronto than in Kansas, I think. But getting so much positive attention is completely shocking for me, especially since just two months ago I expected all universities to reject me without much consideration... Yes, it is flattering, but it is also hard, because I know that I will have to reject all these amazing offers, and rejecting great opportunities is always even harder than accepting poor opportunities - there is that terrible feeling of permanent loss.

And, also, English is not my native language, and, although I consider my English to be quite good (for a foreigner), I do not understand all the tricky details of politeness, and I am afraid of offending those professors who got me these great offers and scholarships by declining their offers inappropriately. I even have a hard time at times choosing whether to address a professor "Dear Mr. James Hopkins", or "Dear James", or "Dear Mr. Hopkins", or "Dear Prof. Hopkins", or "Dear Professor" and so on...

I am still struggling trying to choose the best option possible. I have yet to hear from University of Toronto (according to Gradcafe and other similar forums, 15-20 of March is about when I should get either offer or rejection from them). But I have already been accepted to whooping 13 out of 15 other universities, and, considering that I didn't send all the necessary materials to one of them and my application hasn't even being processed yet, it is effectively 13 out of 14.

My question is this: which ranking should be more important for me, general national ranking or ranking of graduate physics schools? Here are my top 3 choices, excluding, of course, University of Toronto (rankings are according to US News):
1) University of Notre Dame: #18 national ranking, #57 physics grad school ranking
2) University of California--Riverside: #112 national ranking, #52 physics grad school ranking
3) Florida State University: #91 national ranking, #48 physics grad school ranking

I don't see noticeable difference in the opportunities these schools offer in the fields that interest me: high energy physics and astrophysics. I think I could do an amazing research in any of these schools. But which one is preferable to have in my resume? Which is more prestigious? Is the school that is higher in national ranking necessary more prestigious when I'm applying to a job in physics?

Currently it is very ambiguous for me what to choose. Since academically in physics these schools seem quite similar (maybe Notre Dame is a bit better, but not dramatically so), I have certain preferences in other, non-academic and semi-academic, criteria:
Best national ranking: University of Notre Dame
Best grad physics ranking: Florida State University
Best climate: Florida State University
Best territorial placement: University of California--Riverside (near Los-Angeles!)

I am really lost here. I am strongly favoring University of Notre Dame because I've contacted quite a few professors from there willing to work with me and their financial offer is quite appealing, and also, well, because of the national ranking - it is prestigious to study in a university from top 20. But is it necessarily better than the other two choices which are higher in grad physics ranking and which territorial placement is much more pleasant for me, which is also important since I will most likely study there for 5+ years?

If University of Toronto gives me an offer, then I will probably accept it: a school from top 20 in the world means something, even if it is situated in Canada, not in the US. But if not, then... I want to make the absolutely best choice. I don't want to accept the offer from Notre Dame based just on the national ranking and then regret of the missed opportunities.

Overall ranking does not matter. Physics grad school ranking barely matters. What matters is the strength of your subfield's program. Look at it this way - if an English major got a good education, what does that say about you? If you studied theoretical HEP, what does the quality of someone who specialized in experimental low temp say about you.

Riverside is not particularly close to Los Angeles. It's well over an hour's drive, although the exact time depends on where you are going.

Yes, that was my reasoning initially. However, in astrophysics and HEP these 3 schools seem to be on the equal level, and I do not know exactly how to compare them; the number of faculty members in the fields is comparable, funding is a little bit better in Notre Dame, but not significantly so...

My real question is not if the ranking matters in the actual studying and research process, but does it give any subjective benefits when applying for a job? Is a school being in the top 20 gives a good impression to employers just by being prestigious? Or are they more pragmatic and do not care about such things? I understand that, say, Yale is not very strong in Physics and is famous mostly for its business programs and such, but still, theoretically, its alumni should automatically gain some reputation?

I would really not want to pick a school based on its territorial situation, and, although I have dreamed of living in California or Florida since my childhood, I understand that I will be able to move there after graduation anywhere, even in Toronto. But, since in all other criteria the schools seem comparable with, maybe, a very slight advantage of Notre Dame, it is the only real difference I see here...

OK, I've accepted the Notre Dame's offer. Maybe I should have waited for University of Toronto to make their decision, but after long consideration I decided that I wanted to study in the US. Also, with all these Crimea matters, I do not want to risk by delaying my decision - who knows what visa restrictions for Russian citizens may be introduced...

Now I am a little bit worried about interview in the US embassy. Should I honestly say to immigration officer that I am planning on staying in the US after graduation and get a Postdoc position there? I explained it in my Statement of Purpose and, I guess, the officer will have access to that document, so I better say the truth. On the other hand, I know that officers do not like to issue student visas to potential immigrant, so, if I mention my plans of staying in the US, I may have some trouble? How should I go about this?

Likes 1 person
You should tell the truth because a) it's the right thing to do, and b) PF cannot help you commit immigration fraud.

Yes, that's what I intend to do. I just wanted to know if it could have any negative consequences. I guess many people applying for PhD program in the USA want to stay there afterwards, so this is a very common situation, and immigration officers should understand... Hopefully.

There is no 'honest' way to answer that question because there is a *lot* of ground to cover between now and finishing your PhD. Who knows what opportunities might be attractive to you then? You might fall in love with someone from Japan, or you might be homesick and want to return to Russia, or you may be given a prime research opportunity in Brazil, or...who knows?

The only honest way to answer is to say, "I have no idea what options will be open to me then. For now, my focus is on finishing my studies."

I hope you like Notre Dame!

<h2>1. What are the minimum requirements to be accepted into a PhD Physics program?</h2><p>The specific requirements for acceptance into a PhD Physics program vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, a strong academic record, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE.</p><h2>2. How important are research experience and publications for acceptance into a PhD Physics program?</h2><p>Research experience and publications are highly valued by PhD Physics programs. They demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the field. However, not all applicants will have research experience or publications, and admissions committees also consider other factors such as academic background and letters of recommendation.</p><h2>3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to be accepted into a PhD Physics program?</h2><p>While a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required for acceptance into a PhD Physics program, it is not always necessary to have a specific undergraduate major. Many programs also accept applicants with degrees in engineering, mathematics, or other scientific fields.</p><h2>4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process for a PhD Physics program?</h2><p>Letters of recommendation are an important component of the application process for a PhD Physics program. They provide insight into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from individuals who have worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and potential as a researcher.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can increase my chances of being accepted into a PhD Physics program?</h2><p>While there is no set formula for acceptance into a PhD Physics program, there are certain skills and experiences that can make an applicant more competitive. These include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, research experience, publications, and participation in relevant extracurricular activities such as physics clubs or internships. Additionally, having a clear research interest and strong motivation for pursuing a PhD in physics can also increase your chances of acceptance.</p>

1. What are the minimum requirements to be accepted into a PhD Physics program?

The specific requirements for acceptance into a PhD Physics program vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, a strong academic record, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE.

2. How important are research experience and publications for acceptance into a PhD Physics program?

Research experience and publications are highly valued by PhD Physics programs. They demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the field. However, not all applicants will have research experience or publications, and admissions committees also consider other factors such as academic background and letters of recommendation.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to be accepted into a PhD Physics program?

While a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required for acceptance into a PhD Physics program, it is not always necessary to have a specific undergraduate major. Many programs also accept applicants with degrees in engineering, mathematics, or other scientific fields.

4. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process for a PhD Physics program?

Letters of recommendation are an important component of the application process for a PhD Physics program. They provide insight into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from individuals who have worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and potential as a researcher.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can increase my chances of being accepted into a PhD Physics program?

While there is no set formula for acceptance into a PhD Physics program, there are certain skills and experiences that can make an applicant more competitive. These include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, research experience, publications, and participation in relevant extracurricular activities such as physics clubs or internships. Additionally, having a clear research interest and strong motivation for pursuing a PhD in physics can also increase your chances of acceptance.