What are my chances of becoming a research physicist

In summary, ZapperZ's article discusses various aspects of becoming a physicist, including the common career path of physicists becoming engineers or programmers instead of research physicists. However, it may not fully answer the question of the likelihood of finding a permanent job in research with a PhD in physics. Statistics show that while the chances of unemployment are low for those with a PhD in physics, the chances of finding a research job are also small due to the limited number of available positions.
potato123
I am in high school right now and i would like to be a physicist but i heard a lot of physicists become engineers or programmers instead of a research physicists. And what is the difference between experimental and theoretical.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZapperZ's article is very comprehensive as far as what it covers, but I don't think it addresses the OP's main question, which is about the chance of success in finding a permanent job.

If you get a PhD in physics and are good at what you do, then you have basically a 0% chance of being unemployed. However, you do have a significant change of ending up in a job that didn't actually require a PhD in physics, and your chances of finding a job doing research are very small. This is just a matter of statistics. One person doing physics research will typically produce some large number of grad students over the course of his/her career -- say 10. The number of physics jobs doesn't grow at an exponential rate of anything like a factor of 10 per generation.

Related to What are my chances of becoming a research physicist

What are my chances of becoming a research physicist?

As a scientist, I have encountered this question many times. While there is no definite answer, here are the 5 most frequently asked questions about the chances of becoming a research physicist.

1. What are the educational requirements for becoming a research physicist?

To become a research physicist, you typically need a Ph.D. in physics or a related field. Some positions may also require additional education, such as a postdoctoral fellowship.

2. How much competition is there for research physicist positions?

The competition for research physicist positions can be quite high, as it is a highly sought-after and competitive field. However, the demand for research physicists is also increasing, which may create more opportunities for those interested in pursuing this career path.

3. What skills are necessary to become a successful research physicist?

Some essential skills for becoming a successful research physicist include strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific specialization within physics to become a research physicist?

While having a specialization can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to become a research physicist. Many researchers have a broad understanding of physics and then specialize in a particular area through their research projects and collaborations.

5. What are the job prospects and salary expectations for research physicists?

The job prospects for research physicists are generally positive, with opportunities in academia, government agencies, and private industries. The salary expectations can vary depending on factors such as education level, experience, and location, but research physicists typically have a high earning potential.