What are my chances, help me choose a safe school

In summary, the individual is an international student from Peru looking to pursue a second bachelor's degree in computer science in the United States. They have a 4.0 GPA and good recommendation letters, but no interesting extracurricular activities and bad high school grades. They plan to apply to several universities and are unsure if they have a chance of getting in. They have considered a conversion course, but prefer to pursue a second bachelor's degree to gain more knowledge. They also do not qualify for a scholarship in the UK due to lack of work experience.
piyowashere
Hi, i am an international student from Peru and i want to get a second bachelors degree in united states.
My first bachelor is industrial engieering (i hate it), i am applying for computer science.
I have a 4.0 gpa equivalent and in the top 5% in my college, and some good recommendation letters. no interesting extra currircular activies, some work experience, really bad essays. bad high school grades. I am taking the TOEFL next week, and i am sure i will get a score of 90-100 range
so far i am going to apply to this universities:
Texas Austin
Illinois at urbana champaign
Maryland
University of Wisconsin Madison
Purdue
University of Minnesota twin cities

do i have a shot at getting into any of them?
should i apply to a lower ranked school?
(btw i am applying as a transfer student, and i am sure those unis allow second bachelors)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
The OP was interested in a BS in CS in the USA. I'm not sure that a program that offers a scholarship for a different degree with a different major in a different country is as applicable as it might be.

Thanks for that info, i have considered the conversion course, but i don't think it will give me enough knowledge, its only 1 year long!
I want to apply for a second bs, since i have pretty much 0 knowledge of C.S and i want to know all the fundamentals. Later i want to go to grad school.
i don't have 2 year work exp, so i don't qualify for that scholarship

That scholarship is also not in CS, so it won't help you.

Related to What are my chances, help me choose a safe school

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a safe school?

When choosing a safe school, there are a few important factors to consider. First, look at the school's location and surrounding neighborhood. Is it in a safe area with low crime rates? Additionally, research the school's security measures, such as campus security officers and emergency protocols. It's also important to look at the school's history of safety incidents and how they were handled. Finally, consider the overall campus culture and whether it promotes a safe and inclusive environment.

2. How can I research a school's safety record?

To research a school's safety record, you can start by looking at their annual security report, which is required by law for all colleges and universities. This report includes statistics on crime rates, safety policies, and emergency procedures. You can also look at local news articles and online reviews to get a sense of the school's safety reputation. Additionally, consider reaching out to current students or alumni to get their firsthand experiences with safety on campus.

3. Are there any warning signs that a school may not be safe?

There are a few warning signs to look out for when researching the safety of a school. High crime rates in the surrounding area, a lack of visible security measures, and a history of frequent safety incidents are all red flags. Additionally, if the school has a negative reputation for handling safety concerns or has a high turnover rate for campus security officers, these could be warning signs that the school may not prioritize safety.

4. Do different types of schools have different levels of safety?

Yes, different types of schools may have different levels of safety. For example, urban schools may have higher crime rates and may require more security measures compared to rural schools. Additionally, larger schools may have more resources for campus security compared to smaller schools. However, it's important to note that safety can vary greatly within each type of school, so it's important to research each individual school's safety record.

5. Can I take any steps to increase my safety on campus?

Yes, there are steps you can take to increase your safety on campus. First, familiarize yourself with the school's emergency procedures and know how to access help in case of an emergency. Additionally, travel in groups or with a buddy, especially at night. Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts if you feel unsafe. It's also important to take care of your mental and physical health, as this can impact your overall safety on campus.