What Are Good Alternative Engineering Schools for a Transfer Student?

In summary, the individual is currently attending a community school with plans to transfer to a Mechanical Engineering program in Fall 2014. They already hold a degree in History, but realized they have no interest in pursuing a career in that field. They are concerned about how their previous degree will affect their chances of being accepted into an engineering program and are seeking advice on potential schools to apply to.
Dp1989
Hi everyone,

I am at a community school right now taking math and science courses (Calculus III, Physics II, and General Chemistry II at the moment) planning to transfer for the Fall of 2014, enrolling somewhere in Mechanical Engineering with a possible Math double major (double with a Math major is a big maybe right now).

I already possesses a degree in History, reason being that I was undecided out of high school and history was interesting so I just decided to major in it at my previous undergrad, Sacred Heart University. By the time I realized I wanted nothing to do with any career involving history and that I liked it more as a hobby I was already halfway through junior year, so I finished the degree with a 3.19. This brings me to my issues:

How will my previous degree affect me in applying to new schools for a completely opposite concentration? For example, if I didn't do as well in some of my history degree courses will they hold it against me despite my grades in my Math/Science courses? How much will it sway the decision?

That is something I am curious about if anyone has done something similar to what I am doing now. The question that really brings me to the forums is about my school search. I can find plenty of information on the top engineering schools around the country, but if my G.P.A. is not high enough or I am denied admission for whatever reason, it has been hard for me to find information on the lesser known but still quality engineering schools.

Counting courses starting a calculus and up for my community college work load I have around a 3.8-3.9, (A's in Calculus, Calculus II, and my Chemistry I lab, B+'s in Physics I and the General Chem I lecture). The only schools currently that I know I will be applying to for certain are Georgia Tech (my number one) and Virginia Tech.

Obviously those schools are really good schools and while I would love to get into either one, I cannot rely on getting into these two. So I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions (geography of the school is an afterthought, I will deal with the location of the school after I have seen the possibilities) about where I should apply and have a realistic chance at getting into? (Long shots and safe schools are also appreciated!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!</code>There are many great engineering schools around the country that may be less well-known than the two you mentioned. You should consider doing research on schools in your region that offer engineering, and then look into those schools' admissions requirements. Some schools may have more flexible admissions requirements than others, so it may be easier for you to get accepted at these institutions. Additionally, you can look into specific scholarships or grants that may be available to you as an engineering student in order to offset any tuition costs. It is also important to look into any internships or research opportunities that may be available to you at certain schools, as these can help you gain valuable experience in the field. Finally, don't forget to look into the quality of the faculty and the curriculum at each school, as this can make a big difference in your overall education. Good luck with your search!

Related to What Are Good Alternative Engineering Schools for a Transfer Student?

1. What are some other schools I should consider applying to?

The answer to this question depends on your field of study and personal preferences. It is recommended to research and create a list of potential schools that align with your academic and career goals. You can also consult with your academic advisor or career counselor for suggestions.

2. How many other schools should I apply to?

It is generally recommended to apply to at least 3-5 schools to increase your chances of acceptance. However, the number may vary depending on your qualifications and the competitiveness of the schools you are applying to.

3. Can I apply to schools with different majors?

Yes, you can apply to schools with different majors. However, it is important to carefully consider the requirements and curriculum of each major to ensure that it aligns with your academic and career goals.

4. Should I only apply to highly-ranked schools?

The ranking of a school is not the only factor to consider when applying. It is important to find a school that fits your academic needs and personal preferences. You should also research the programs offered, faculty, resources, and opportunities available at the school.

5. When should I start researching and applying to other schools?

It is recommended to start researching and creating a list of potential schools at least a year before your intended start date. This will give you enough time to thoroughly research and consider your options, as well as complete the application process before the deadlines.