What Are Common Mistakes When Calculating the Laplacian of |r|?

Here is a different derivation:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( \frac{x}{| \vec r |} \right) = \frac{| \vec r | - x \cdot \frac{x}{| \vec r |}}{| \vec r |^2} = \frac{| \vec r |^2 - x^2}{| \vec r |^3} = \frac{y^2 + z^2}{| \vec r |^3} = \frac{1}{| \vec r |} \cdot \frac{y^2 + z^2}{| \vec r |^2} = \frac{1}{| \vec r |}
erb12c

Homework Statement

Given: |r|=√(x^2+y^2+z^2) r=xi+yj+zk

(i)Find the partial derivative with respect to x of |r|.
(ii) Find the Laplacian of |r|.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) I got x/|r|
but then for (ii) I got 2/r which I don't think is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##| \vec r(x, y, z) | = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##, then:

$$| \vec r(x, y, z) |_x = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{1}{2} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{- \frac{1}{2}} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)$$

What is the definition of the Laplacian?

Part i) is the warm up for part ii).
What did you do to get x/|r|?

If ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x } |r| = \frac{x}{|r|} ##, then what is ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x } \frac{x}{|r|} ##?

I think 2/|r| is right.

RUber said:
What did you do to get x/|r|?

If you clean up the computation in the second post:

$$\frac{1}{2} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{- \frac{1}{2}} \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = \frac{x}{| \vec r |}$$

If ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x } |r| = \frac{x}{|r|} ##, then what is ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x } \frac{x}{|r|} ##?

I think 2/|r| is right.

It is, but it would be nice if the OP showed some of the work.

Related to What Are Common Mistakes When Calculating the Laplacian of |r|?

1. What is the Laplacian?

The Laplacian is a mathematical operator that is used to describe the curvature and rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to solve problems involving differential equations.

2. Why is there difficulty with the Laplacian?

The Laplacian can be difficult to understand and work with because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as partial derivatives and vector calculus. Additionally, it is often used in complex and abstract systems, making it challenging to apply in real-world scenarios.

3. What are some applications of the Laplacian?

The Laplacian has a wide range of applications in various fields such as image and signal processing, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as image and speech recognition, data interpolation, and feature extraction.

4. How is the Laplacian calculated?

The Laplacian is calculated by taking the sum of the second derivatives of a function in each dimension. In 2D, this can be represented as the sum of the second partial derivatives with respect to x and y. In 3D, it includes the second partial derivative with respect to z as well.

5. What are some common challenges in using the Laplacian?

One of the main challenges in using the Laplacian is choosing the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific problem. Additionally, the Laplacian can be computationally expensive to calculate in high dimensions, and it may be difficult to interpret the results in complex systems.