What are 'cognitive distortions'?

• Thread starter Q-1
  • Start date
In summary: I am a person who is living in a simulated universe, and that the people I know and love are also living in simulations.In summary, "I believe that I am a person who is living in a simulated universe, and that the people I know and love are also living in simulations."
Q-1
In Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, there is a term for erroneous reasoning, called 'cognitive distortions'.

I am wondering what are they? How do they become grounds for erroneous reasoning?

Just as an example, here are some:

Common_Cognitive_Biases.png

Attachments

• Common_Cognitive_Biases.png
    Common_Cognitive_Biases.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
Q-1 said:
How do they become grounds for erroneous reasoning?
Hi Q-1:

I do not know much about this topic, but I have learned a bit from discussions with knowledgeable people that there are some concepts not mentioned in your examples that might be relevant to your question.

It is frequently necessary for people to make decisions/conclusions on insufficient information, as well as failure to avoid non-relevant information that a person might think is relevant. One important way to minimize serious errors is to associate with any specific decision/conclusion a guess at the likelihood/confidence level that it is the right decision/conclusion. If you are on a criminal trial jury making a decision about the guilt of a defendant, your confidence level must be certainty beyond all reasonable doubts. If you are on a civil trial jury the criteria is preponderance of evidence, that is, the decision must be only better than 50% likely to be right. Other decisions/conclusions may be OK to use with a certainty somewhere between these extremes, but it is generally useful to choose a criterion for acceptable confidence. One contribution to "erroneous reasoning" is the lack of a well chosen confidence criterion.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Other decisions/conclusions may be OK to use with a certainty somewhere between these extremes, but it is generally useful to choose a criterion for acceptable confidence. One contribution to "erroneous reasoning" is the lack of a well chosen confidence criterion.

What do you mean by adhering to "a criterion"? Is this simply sound inferential, deductive, and abductive reasoning?

Thanks for posting!

Have you read descriptions on the image? At least for some constructing an example that will show why the final conclusion of a reasoning will be erroneous is quite trivial.

Q-1 said:
What do you mean by adhering to "a criterion"?
Hi Q-1:

Sorry I was not clear. By "criterion", in the context of my post, I mean a conscious sense of how confident you must be (either numerically or by whatever confidence categories you are comfortable with) before you make a decision/conclusion.

Regards,
Buzz

Borek said:
Have you read descriptions on the image? At least for some constructing an example that will show why the final conclusion of a reasoning will be erroneous is quite trivial.

Yes, I have read the description to the images, yet it is not trivial. Cognitive distortions can overlap and attain different affective states on a subject. I'm quite interested in the psychoanalytic aspect of their differing severity or level of overlap on one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz Bloom said:
Sorry I was not clear. By "criterion", in the context of my post, I mean a conscious sense of how confident you must be (either numerically or by whatever confidence categories you are comfortable with) before you make a decision/conclusion.

What do you mean by "confidence" here?

Thanks!

A follow-up question of mine is,

How do cognitive distortions reinforce their significance to an individual?

Q-1 said:
Hi Q-1:

I think I can better explain this to you with an example. Please post a relatively simple non-mathematical statement which you believe to be true.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Please post a relatively simple non-mathematical statement which you believe to be true.

The poster known as "Q-1" is a person.

Q-1 said:
The poster known as Q-1 is a person.
Hi Q-1:

I would like you to respond to the following question with a percent number, which may if you wish include decimal places. For example: 99.9%

Q: How certain are you that the statement is correct?

When you consider your answer you may want to take into account that you might be an program in a computer simulation, and/or some other unlikely possibilities.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Q: How certain are you that the statement is correct?

Well, I feel comfortably certain about it. Not sure where you're going with this.

Q-1 said:
Well, I feel comfortably certain about it. Not sure where you're going with this.
Hi Q-1:

For the purpose of the example, I asked you to answer with a percent. See my post #12.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz Bloom said:
For the purpose of the example, I asked you to answer with a percent. See my post #14.

I am 100% certain that I am a person.

I gave you my confidence statement there.

Q-1 said:
I am 100% certain that I am a person.
Hi Q-1:

What this tells me is that you absolutely reject all the speculations that have been discussed in various places about the (very remote) possibility that the universe is an artificial intelligence simulation, and all the people on what seems to be the planet Earth are part of this simulation, together with all of the things these simulated people are simulated to see, hear, taste, smell, and feel.

I contrast my own philosophical thoughts about this as follows: I do not believe anything with 100% certainty. BTW, you may enjoy the movie "The 13th Floor". It is a very well done presentation of a story about such a simulation, except it is even more complicated.

To get back to your question
Q-1 said:
Using your example, it is what you guess to be the probability that what you believe/decide/conclude is correct.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes russ_watters
Buzz Bloom said:
What this tells me is that you absolutely reject all the speculations that have been discussed in various places about the (very remote) possibility that the universe is an artificial intelligence simulation, and all the people on what seems to be the planet Earth are part of this simulation, together with all of the things these simulated people are simulated to see, hear, taste, smell, and feel.

Oh dear. The Simulation Hypothesis is airtight. I just hope I'm not living in one, as that detracts from my statement about being a person.

Related to What are 'cognitive distortions'?

1. What are cognitive distortions?

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thinking that are inaccurate or irrational. They are thoughts that often seem true and can be automatic, but they actually create negative reactions and emotions.

2. What causes cognitive distortions?

Cognitive distortions can be caused by a variety of factors, including past experiences, upbringing, and personal beliefs. They can also be influenced by stress, anxiety, and other mental health issues.

3. What are some examples of cognitive distortions?

There are many different types of cognitive distortions, but some common examples include black-and-white thinking (seeing things as all good or all bad), jumping to conclusions (making assumptions without evidence), and emotional reasoning (believing that feelings are facts).

4. How do cognitive distortions affect our behavior?

Cognitive distortions can lead to negative or self-defeating behaviors. For example, if someone has the cognitive distortion of overgeneralization (believing that one negative experience will always happen), they may avoid trying new things or taking risks.

5. Can cognitive distortions be changed?

Yes, cognitive distortions can be changed with practice and effort. By becoming aware of our thoughts and challenging them with evidence and alternative perspectives, we can begin to change our thinking patterns and reduce the impact of cognitive distortions on our lives.