What angle to shoot the arrow at?

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the arrow will miss the target by 13.3 meters if it leaves the bow at a speed of 23.1m/s and is aimed at a 22.3 degree angle.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

A hunter aims directly at a target (on the same level) 38.0m away. (a) If the arrow leaves the bow at a speed of 23.1m/s, by how much will it miss the target? (b) At what angle should the bow be aimed so the target will be hit?

Notes: Initial Y velocity is 0m/s. Vi = Vix

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve the first part (a), fairly straightforward.

38m = 23.1m/s * t
t = 1.65s

Yf = 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(1.65s^2) = -13.3m, target missed by 13.3 meters.

I am mostly having difficulties with the second part. The answer says it is 22.1 degrees, but I don't know how to get to that answer.

I tried setting up a triangle of the final velocities and see what that angle would be.

Final velocity X: 23.1 m/s
Final velocity Y: (-9.8m/s^2)(1.65s) = 16.17m/s
Final velocity overall: 28.2m/s

tan^-1(x) = 16.17/23.1 = 35 degrees.

How should I get to the correct angle of 22.1 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, if the arrow is flying at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] its horizontal velocity will be [itex]23.1cos(\theta)[/itex] Use this to solve for the time it will take the arrow to travel the distance of 38 meters. It should end up being [tex]t = \frac{38}{23.1cos(\theta)}[/tex]
Hopefully this will push you in the right direction.

After looking into it a bit more, I have some concerns about the triangle itself. In the initial case (when the arrow was shot 13.3m below the target), there was no vertical component to the overall initial velocity. If we add a vertical component, don't we have a smaller X initial velocity then? Or will it remain 23.1m/s?

This is what the second part of your problem should look like so far.
photo.JPG

After looking into it a bit more, I have some concerns about the triangle itself. In the initial case (when the arrow was shot 13.3m below the target), there was no vertical component to the overall initial velocity. If we add a vertical component, don't we have a smaller X initial velocity then?
That is correct: the arrow will have a smaller horizontal component as the angle increases.
That is what whdahl's equation is telling you too.

How can we write in the fancy science notation on these boards? I managed to find my way to the correct answer!

Set T for X equal to T for Y

T = 38 / 23.1cos(θ)
T = 23 sin(θ) / 4.9
38 / 23.1cos(θ) = 23 sin(θ) / 4.9

and a little algebra . . .

θ = 22.3 degrees, close enough!

The fancy science notation is handled by using LaTeX :)

I am just curious as to where the 4.9 came from?

whdahl said:
I am just curious as to where the 4.9 came from?
g/2 in MKS.

Could you show me the math please.. i am a little confused

Welcome to PF;
... which bit are you confused about?

The algebra part...how do you cancel out everything and solve for theta?

Exploit sin/cos = tan and use the arctan function.

I did but I never got the right answer

Then either the answer on post #6 is incorrect or you made a mistake.

The answer is correct and redid my algebra but I never got that answer

Show your working.

I suspect you did what I did and didnt read the derivation... derive the relation in post #6 to see the error.

Related to What angle to shoot the arrow at?

1. What is the optimal angle for shooting an arrow?

The optimal angle for shooting an arrow depends on several factors, including the distance to the target, the weight and type of arrow, and the strength and skill of the archer. In general, a 45-degree angle is considered the ideal angle for maximum accuracy and distance.

2. How do I determine the correct angle for shooting an arrow?

To determine the correct angle for shooting an arrow, you can use a few different methods. One way is to use a protractor to measure the angle of your bow at full draw. Another method is to use trial and error, adjusting the angle until you find the most accurate and consistent shot.

3. Does the angle of the arrow affect its trajectory?

Yes, the angle of the arrow does affect its trajectory. A higher angle will result in a higher arc and a steeper descent, while a lower angle will result in a flatter trajectory. The angle also affects the speed and distance the arrow can travel.

4. Can the angle of the arrow be adjusted for different types of targets?

Yes, the angle of the arrow can and should be adjusted for different types of targets. For longer distances, a higher angle may be necessary to compensate for gravity, while for shorter distances, a lower angle may be more effective. Additionally, different targets may require different angles to achieve the desired result.

5. How does wind affect the angle at which an arrow should be shot?

Wind can significantly affect the angle at which an arrow should be shot. If there is a strong crosswind, the angle may need to be adjusted to compensate for the wind's force and direction. In some cases, it may be necessary to aim slightly to the side of the target to account for the wind's effect on the arrow's trajectory.