What Angle Should the Archer Shoot the Arrow for Optimal Accuracy?

In summary: The vertical side is 69.3 m/s, so the length is \sqrt{69.3} = 11.81 m. The horizontal side is also 69.3 m/s, so the length is \sqrt{69.3} = 11.81 m.
xxpbdudexx
Usually these problems are really simple for me, but this one is making me lose my mind:

"An archer wishes to shoot an arrow at a target at eye level a distance of 49.0 m away. If the initial speed imparted to the arrow is 69.3 m/s, what angle should the arrow make with the horizontal as it is being shot?"

theta = cos-1(v0x/v0)

v0x=d/t

I just have no idea how to find t. Help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xxpbdudexx said:
Usually these problems are really simple for me, but this one is making me lose my mind:

"An archer wishes to shoot an arrow at a target at eye level a distance of 49.0 m away. If the initial speed imparted to the arrow is 69.3 m/s, what angle should the arrow make with the horizontal as it is being shot?"

theta = cos-1(v0x/v0)

v0x=d/t

I just have no idea how to find t. Help please?

Consider the vertical motion and use [itex]v = u + at[/itex] where u is initial velocity, v is final velocity, a is acceleration and t is the time. Remember that when the arrow reaches the target, it's at eye level again (level horizontally with the point from which it was shot). Therefore, by the symmetry of the parabolic motion, its final vertical velocity is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the initial vertical velocity. Using that, solve for t, substitute into what you already have and use a trig identity to simplify before solving for θ.

Curious3141 said:
Consider the vertical motion and use [itex]v = u + at[/itex] where u is initial velocity, v is final velocity, a is acceleration and t is the time. Remember that when the arrow reaches the target, it's at eye level again (level horizontally with the point from which it was shot). Therefore, by the symmetry of the parabolic motion, its final vertical velocity is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the initial vertical velocity. Using that, solve for t, substitute into what you already have and use a trig identity to simplify before solving for θ.

[itex]v = -u[/itex] where [itex]u = 69.3 m/s[/itex]. So:

[itex]69.3 = -69.3 +at[/itex]

I don't know the resultant acceleration so I assume I am doing something wrong in coming up with this equation from what you have said.

xxpbdudexx said:
[itex]v = -u[/itex] where [itex]u = 69.3 m/s[/itex]. So:

[itex]69.3 = -69.3 +at[/itex]

I don't know the resultant acceleration so I assume I am doing something wrong in coming up with this equation from what you have said.

No, 69.3m/s is the actual initial speed in the direction of launch.

What you need is the vertical component. It involves trigonometry, just like how you found the horizontal component.

When you throw an object vertically upward at a velocity u, it will rise to a maximum height then descend. When it passes your hand, it will be traveling downward with velocity -u. You can see this is so from [itex]v^2 = u^2 + 2as[/itex]. When the object is at the level of your hand, the displacement s = 0, so [itex]v = \pm u[/itex], where [itex]v = u[/itex] occurs at the start, and [itex]v = -u[/itex] when the object passes by your hand on its downward trajectory.

This amounts to the same thing when you consider the vertical motion alone. Except that you need to properly resolve the initial velocity into vertical and horizontal components.

Start by drawing a right angled triangle, with the hypotenuse being represented by the initial velocity at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the horizontal. What are the lengths of the other two sides? They represent the respective vertical and horizontal velocities.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I understand that you are having difficulty finding the time (t) in this problem. Don't worry, let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand that the arrow's motion can be divided into two components: horizontal and vertical. The horizontal component is given by v0x, which is the initial speed imparted to the arrow. The vertical component is given by v0y, which is the speed of the arrow in the vertical direction.

Next, we can use the equation v0x = d/t to find the time (t). We know that the distance (d) is 49.0 m and the initial speed (v0x) is 69.3 m/s. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to t = d/v0x. Substituting the values, we get t = 49.0 m / 69.3 m/s = 0.707 seconds.

Now that we have the time (t), we can use the equation v0y = gt to find the vertical component of the initial speed (v0y). Here, g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is equal to 9.8 m/s^2. Substituting the values, we get v0y = 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.707 s = 6.92 m/s.

Finally, we can use the equation theta = cos^-1 (v0x/v0) to find the angle (theta) at which the arrow should be shot. Here, v0 is the initial speed of the arrow, which is 69.3 m/s. Substituting the values, we get theta = cos^-1 (69.3 m/s / 69.3 m/s) = cos^-1 (1) = 0 degrees.

Therefore, the angle at which the arrow should be shot is 0 degrees with the horizontal. I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Keep practicing and you will become a pro at 2-D kinematics problems in no time.

Best of luck!

Related to What Angle Should the Archer Shoot the Arrow for Optimal Accuracy?

1. What is 2-D kinematics?

2-D kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically referred to as the x and y axes. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. How do you find theta in 2-D kinematics?

In 2-D kinematics, theta (θ) refers to the angle of an object's motion with respect to the horizontal axis. It can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, depending on the given information about the object's motion.

3. What are the equations used in 2-D kinematics?

The main equations used in 2-D kinematics are the equations of motion, which include position, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions. These equations can be derived from the basic principles of kinematics and can be used to solve for various unknowns in a 2-D motion problem.

4. Can 2-D kinematics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, 2-D kinematics can be applied to real-life situations such as projectile motion, motion of objects on an inclined plane, or even the motion of a car on a curved track. Understanding 2-D kinematics can help us analyze and predict the motion of objects in many everyday scenarios.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving 2-D kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in solving 2-D kinematics problems include not carefully considering the direction of motion, using incorrect equations for the given scenario, and not properly setting up the problem with all the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it, and to double-check all calculations and units.