What affects the solubility of CaSO4 in different solvents?

In summary, the Ksp value for CaSO4 takes into account the activity of the water on the ions, which is important in nonpolar solvents where electrostatic interactions between ions are stronger. Without considering activity coefficients, the equation for Ksp is not meaningful and is best understood in the case of an infinitely diluted solution.
chmmr
Say I've got a solid lump of CaSO4 that I put into water.
When I first learned about Solubility Constants, Ksp was defined as [Ca][SO4], meaning how much Calcium and Sulfate ions dissolved. But now I found out when I look up a Ksp value it is [Ca][SO4][tex]\gamma[/tex]Ca[tex]\gamma[/tex]SO4. I understand the concept of activity, that those new constants take into account the activity of the water on the ions. So does this number just mean how much of the CaSO4 would dissolve in a nonpolar solvent?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not about activity of the water, it is about electrostatic interactions between ions. In nonpolar solvents (with low dielectric constant) interactions between ions are much higher, so the activity coefficients will change much faster with concentration.

I don't think it makes much sense to try to assign a special meaning to the equation without activity coefficients (or more precise - with activity coefficients equal 1). The closest thing I can think of is a border case of infinitely diluted solution.

Related to What affects the solubility of CaSO4 in different solvents?

1. What is a solubility product constant (Ksp)?

A solubility product constant (Ksp) is a quantitative measure of the extent to which a solid substance dissolves in a solvent. It is the equilibrium constant for a dissociation reaction where a solid substance breaks down into its constituent ions in solution.

2. How is the Ksp value determined?

The Ksp value is determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of the ions in solution when a solid substance is added to a solvent. The Ksp value can also be calculated using thermodynamic data and the equilibrium constant expression for the dissociation reaction.

3. What factors affect the Ksp value?

The Ksp value is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes in solution. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium and alter the solubility of the solid substance and therefore the Ksp value.

4. How does the Ksp value relate to solubility?

The Ksp value is directly related to the solubility of a solid substance in a solvent. A higher Ksp value indicates a greater solubility, while a lower Ksp value indicates a lower solubility. The Ksp value can also be used to compare the relative solubilities of different substances in the same solvent.

5. Why is the Ksp value important in chemistry?

The Ksp value is important in chemistry because it provides information about the solubility of a substance and its potential to form a precipitate in a solution. It also allows for the prediction of the effect of changing conditions on the solubility of a substance. Additionally, the Ksp value is used in various calculations and in the design of experiments in fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental chemistry, and materials science.