A question about the special case of calcium hydroxide

In summary, calcium hydroxide is considered a weak base because of its limited ability to dissociate into Ca+ and OH- ions.
Dong Aleta
Hi!

I am having trouble understanding how a substance only slightly soluble in water is considered as a strong base. Isn't the definition of a base a substance that will increase the amount of OH- in a solution? In that case, shouldn't calcium hydroxide be considered a weak base because of its limited ability to dissociate into Ca+ and OH- ions? Can someone explain this please?

I am seeking to understand this because I don't know how to express the net ionic equation for the acid-base neutralization involving Ca(OH)2 and a strong acid.

Will it be:

Ca(OH)2 (aq) + 2H+ (aq) -> Ca2+ (aq) + H2O (l)

or just simply:

OH- (aq) + H+ -> H2O (l)

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Solubility and dissociation are two different things. One is described by solubility constant, the other one by dissociation constant. Whether a base is a strong base, depends solely on the dissociation constant K_B.

DrDu said:
Solubility and dissociation are two different things. One is described by solubility constant, the other one by dissociation constant. Whether a base is a strong base, depends solely on the dissociation constant K_B.
Ah, of course! I get it now. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. I really appreciate the help!

DrDu said:
Sorry, I'd like to add a follow-up question. I just came across this web page that said "Not all hydroxides are strong bases since not all hydroxides are highly soluble" suggesting that solubility has something to do with the basicity of the substance. Is the web page incorrect with its statement?

Here is a link to that web page: http://ch302.cm.utexas.edu/chemEQ/ab-theory/selector.php?name=strong-bases#q1b

Thanks so much!

Well, there are simply several way to judge the strength of a base. Either via the K_B or via the maximal pH you can reach. Hence talking about the strength of a base in plain language, this may sometimes be ambiguous.

DrDu said:
Well, there are simply several way to judge the strength of a base. Either via the K_B or via the maximal pH you can reach. Hence talking about the strength of a base in plain language, this may sometimes be ambiguous.
I see! Thank you again for the response! Much appreciated!

1. What is calcium hydroxide?

Calcium hydroxide, also known as slaked lime, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula Ca(OH)2. It is a white, odorless, and slightly alkaline solid that is commonly used in various industrial and medical applications.

2. What is the special case of calcium hydroxide?

The special case of calcium hydroxide refers to its unique properties and uses in specific situations, such as in the treatment of acidic soils, water purification, and as a base in various chemical reactions.

3. How is calcium hydroxide produced?

Calcium hydroxide can be produced through the reaction of calcium oxide (quicklime) with water, or by treating calcium carbonate (limestone) with water and carbon dioxide. It can also be obtained as a by-product of certain industrial processes.

4. What are the common uses of calcium hydroxide?

Calcium hydroxide has a wide range of uses, including as a pH regulator in water treatment, a binder in construction materials, and a component in antacids and toothpaste. It is also used in agriculture to improve soil fertility and as a disinfectant in food processing.

5. Is calcium hydroxide safe for use?

In its pure form, calcium hydroxide is relatively safe for use, but it can cause irritation and burns if it comes in contact with the skin or eyes. It is important to handle and use it with caution, following proper safety precautions and guidelines.