What Additional Resources Can Help With the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam?

In summary, the conversation was about finding additional resources for studying for the second semester of physical chemistry, specifically quantum, spectroscopy, and statistical mechanics. The person mentioned wanting practice tests and lecture videos, and was wondering if anyone knew of any resources outside of the ACS study guide and open course ware. They also mentioned asking their professor for help, but expressed concern that the professor may not provide enough study materials. There was also a question about whether equations would be given on the exam for topics like black body radiation and photoelectric effect.
rmiller70015
I am taking the second semester of physical chemsitry (quantum, spectroscopy, and some stat mech). I was wondering if there are any resources outside of the ACS study guide and open course ware. I'd really like some practice tests if possible so I can see what I need to study.

Also, any lecture videos would be great too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Old GRE’s maybe? Honestly the best thing you can do is probably go through a Pchem book and make sure you can do the problems from the relevant sections you’re studying.

Likes Bystander
I'd ask your prof. We mentor several students in ACS approved chemistry programs, and when there is an ACS exam involved, their profs usually provide ample study materials.

Dr. Courtney said:
I'd ask your prof. We mentor several students in ACS approved chemistry programs, and when there is an ACS exam involved, their profs usually provide ample study materials.
Not mine, he's a bare minimum, high steaks testing type of professor. He also helped write the test and the study guide for pchem but doesn't give us much to go on and I suspect that's an ethics decision.

Also, does anyone know if equations will be given to us for things like black body radiation, photoelectric effect, etc.?

rmiller70015 said:
Also, does anyone know if equations will be given to us for things like black body radiation, photoelectric effect, etc.?

What did you professor say when you asked him that?

Related to What Additional Resources Can Help With the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam?

1. What is Physical Chemistry?

Physical Chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of physical properties and processes of matter, such as energy, temperature, and pressure, at a molecular and atomic level. It involves the application of principles from physics and mathematics to understand and explain the behavior of chemical systems.

2. What is the purpose of the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam?

The Physical Chemistry ACS Exam is a standardized test designed to assess a student's understanding and knowledge in the field of physical chemistry. It is commonly used as a final exam for undergraduate physical chemistry courses and as a prerequisite for graduate programs in chemistry.

3. How is the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam structured?

The Physical Chemistry ACS Exam typically consists of 70 multiple-choice questions and is divided into two sections: Thermodynamics and Kinetics. The Thermodynamics section covers topics such as energy, entropy, and chemical equilibrium, while the Kinetics section focuses on reaction rates, mechanisms, and catalysis.

4. What are some tips for preparing for the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam?

Some tips for preparing for the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam include reviewing class notes and textbooks, practicing with past exams, and utilizing study groups or tutoring services. It is also important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations and formulas.

5. What is the passing score for the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam?

The passing score for the Physical Chemistry ACS Exam varies depending on the institution or program. However, a score of 50% or above is generally considered a passing score. It is important to check with your specific institution or program for their passing score requirements.