What additional force is needed to keep the object at rest?

• Thread starter ArcadeEdge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Rest
In summary, the problem involves finding the additional force needed to keep an object at rest when two forces, F1 = 2i + 6j and F2 = 2i - 2j, are already acting on it. The third force, F3, can be represented as x i + y j + z k where x, y, and z are unknown. By setting the sum of the forces equal to zero and solving for x and y, we can find the values for F3 and keep the object at rest.
ArcadeEdge
This is a problem from my Calculus class in the sections about vectors.

Homework Statement

Two forces F1 = 2i + 6j and F2 = 2i -2j act on an object. What additional force is needed to keep the object at rest?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure where to start.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for the body to be at rest it has to equal 0.
I've tried finding the displacement between the two given vectors which gives me <0, 81>. I'm not sure if that is even relevant. The only thing I really get right now is that something has to equal zero. I feel like this is an easy problem but I don't know where to get started..

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
So we're looking for the third force F3, correct? Let's write it out as F3 = x i + y j + z k where x, y and z are unknown at this moment. (I'm assuming you're working in three dimensions, if you're only working in two, forget the "z k" term)

Now think about what the 'only thing you really get right now' tells you about the relation between these three forces...

You add them together and set them equal to zero and solve for xi and yj right? When I do that I get 0 for both x and y.

The technique sounds right, I'm guessing you're making a math mistake

can you type it out?

Related to What additional force is needed to keep the object at rest?

1. What is the definition of "force"?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can cause an object to accelerate or change direction.

2. How is force related to an object's rest state?

An object at rest is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced. In order to keep the object at rest, an additional force is needed to counteract any external forces acting on it.

3. What factors affect the amount of force needed to keep an object at rest?

The mass of the object, the surface it is resting on, and the strength of any external forces acting on it all affect the amount of force needed to keep an object at rest.

4. Can an object at rest have no forces acting on it?

No, an object at rest always has at least one force acting on it - the force of gravity. Even if the object is on a frictionless surface, the force of gravity will still act on it.

5. How can the amount of force needed to keep an object at rest be calculated?

The amount of force needed to keep an object at rest can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation takes into account the mass of the object and any external forces acting on it.