Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof and post using the well-ordering principle to prove that if n is a natural number, then n is greater than or equal to 0. The proof uses the fact that the set of natural numbers is a subset of itself and has a least member. The conversation also includes a question about formatting text using the {itex} and {tex} commands.
Klungo
This is my first proof and post. I'll eventually get better at tex.

Homework Statement

If [itex] n \in N[/itex], then [itex]n ≥ 0[/itex].

Hint: [itex]N \subset N[/itex] (thus not any empty set) and has least member by the well-ordering principle.

2. Relevant

(i) [itex]0 \subset N[/itex]

(ii) [itex]n+1 \in N[/itex] for all [itex] n \in N[/itex]

(iii) [itex]n-1 \in N [/itex]for all [itex] n \in N [/itex]such that n≠0

(iv) The well-ordering principle itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the hint suggests, I am supposed to prove this using the well-ordering principle.

[itex]n-1 \in N[/itex] for all [itex] n \in N[/itex] such that n≠0. [itex] N \subset N[/itex] so N≠∅ and has a least member by well-ordering principle.

I used (iii) [itex] n-1 \in N [/itex] for all n in N such that n≠0. But

[itex](n=0) \in N[/itex] and [itex]-1 \notin N[/itex]. Hence, [itex] -1<n → 0≤n[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is right though.

Additionally, is there any way to write text inbetween {itex} text {/itex} such that notations appear in addition to original text?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your proof and post. It's great to see that you are using the well-ordering principle to prove this statement.

Your proof looks good so far. I just have a few suggestions for clarification.

Firstly, when you use the notation "n-1 \in N for all n \in N such that n≠0," it would be helpful to explicitly state that n is a natural number. So the statement would be "for all n \in N such that n≠0, n-1 \in N." This makes it clear that you are only considering natural numbers.

Secondly, to address your concern about -1 \notin N, you can simply state that n-1 \in N for all n \in N such that n>0. This way, you are only considering natural numbers greater than 0, and the statement holds true for all of them.

Finally, to answer your question about writing text in between {itex} text {/itex}, you can use the {itex} command to indicate that the text inside is in italics. For example, if you wanted to write "This is an example," you would write {itex}This is an example{/itex}, and it would appear as "This is an example." Alternatively, you can use the {tex} command to indicate that the text inside is in standard font. For example, if you wanted to write "This is an example," you would write {tex}This is an example{/tex}, and it would appear as "This is an example."

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your proofs and posts! As you continue to practice, you will definitely get better at using tex.

Related to Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers

1. What is the Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers?

The Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers is a mathematical concept that states every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least element. In simpler terms, it means that for any set of natural numbers, there will always be a smallest number in that set.

2. Why is the Well-Ordering Principle important?

The Well-Ordering Principle plays a crucial role in mathematical proofs and the foundations of number theory. It allows us to make statements about the existence of a smallest element in a set of natural numbers, which can be useful in solving problems related to sequences, series, and other mathematical concepts.

3. How is the Well-Ordering Principle proven?

The Well-Ordering Principle is usually proven by assuming the opposite, known as the principle of mathematical induction. This assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving the Well-Ordering Principle to be true. Other proofs may involve the use of Peano's axioms or the principle of strong induction.

4. Can the Well-Ordering Principle be applied to sets other than natural numbers?

Yes, the Well-Ordering Principle can be extended to other well-ordered sets, such as the integers, rational numbers, and even some infinite sets. However, it cannot be applied to all sets, as there are some sets that do not have a least element, such as the set of real numbers.

5. Is the Well-Ordering Principle equivalent to the principle of mathematical induction?

No, the Well-Ordering Principle and the principle of mathematical induction are not equivalent. While the Well-Ordering Principle is used to prove the principle of mathematical induction, the converse is not necessarily true. In other words, the Well-Ordering Principle is a more general concept than the principle of mathematical induction.