Well I want to get some EXPERIMENTS: - in which we have clear

• Thread starter Morgoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary, the conversation discusses various experiments that can be performed to test the principles of quantum mechanics, including Pauli's exclusion principle and the symmetry of wavefunctions for bosonic and mixed symmetry systems. The idea of measuring probability density and observing particles in the ground state are mentioned, as well as the concept of Bose-Einstein condensates and quasiparticles.
Morgoth
Well I want to get some EXPERIMENTS:- in which we have clear

Well I want to get some EXPERIMENTS:

- in which we have clear confirmation of Pauli's exception principle?
well have my idea. I would try to measure the probability density of my system Ψ, and if I found some region in which it would be zero, that would mean that Pauli's exception principle is true. Have we done such an experiment? If not, what did we check instead?

-which experiment tells us (or shows us) that bosonic systems are being described by total symmetric wavefunctions?
Well have my idea again. I would drop the temperature of my system in low degrees, and see that I have particles that drop to the ground state (like I'm losing them). That tells me that the two or more particles can be at the ground state, so the wavefunction is not antisymmetric. How to show the symmetry though? Is there maybe some other, easier way?

-which experiment would you suggest for testing the existence of mixed symmetry wavefunction
Well, my idea in this is kinda lame... I would check its symmetry/antisymmetry by changing my parameters...I am totally not sure about the last one... Not even nature is since I know there doesn't exist such natural states...

Physics news on Phys.org

The periodic system is a result of Pauli's exclusion principle (PEP). Without that, all electrons would be in the n=1-states and chemistry would not exist.
The same is true for the nucleus - if protons and neutrons would be bosons (or could be identical in all quantum numbers for some other reason), all nucleons would occupy the ground state. Heavier nuclei would have a larger mass defect and the isotope chart would look different, too.
Without PEP, we would not have metals anyway, but if you just look at the free electrons there, you can see a cold fermion gas, which would look completely different otherwise.

I would try to measure the probability density of my system Ψ, and if I found some region in which it would be zero, that would mean that Pauli's exception principle is true.
??

Well have my idea again. I would drop the temperature of my system in low degrees, and see that I have particles that drop to the ground state (like I'm losing them). That tells me that the two or more particles can be at the ground state, so the wavefunction is not antisymmetric.
This is the basic idea of Bose-Einstein condensates. You can always split the wave function in a symmetric and an antisymmetric part (at least for 2 particles at a time) - and the antisymmetric part has to vanish.

which experiment would you suggest for testing the existence of mixed symmetry wavefunction
Quasiparticles can be neither fermion nor boson, so I would look at them.

Related to Well I want to get some EXPERIMENTS: - in which we have clear

What are the different types of experiments?

The most common types of experiments include controlled experiments, field experiments, natural experiments, quasi-experiments, and laboratory experiments.

How do you design a successful experiment?

A successful experiment should have a clear objective, a well-defined hypothesis, a controlled and replicable procedure, and a sufficient sample size. It should also consider potential confounding factors and have a clear plan for data analysis.

What is the importance of having a control group in an experiment?

A control group serves as a baseline for comparison and helps to determine the true effect of the independent variable being tested. It allows for the identification of any other factors that may be influencing the results.

What are some common sources of error in experiments?

Common sources of error in experiments include human error, bias, faulty equipment, and confounding variables. It is important to carefully design and control experiments to minimize these sources of error.

How do you determine the reliability and validity of experimental results?

Reliability refers to the consistency of results, while validity refers to the accuracy and relevance of results. To determine reliability, experiments should be repeatable with similar results. Validity can be assessed by considering the experimental design, controlling for confounding variables, and using appropriate statistical analysis methods.