Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics

In summary: Different schools have different policies, so it's important to read through the application page of the places you're applying to, to figure it out.Usually you do an MSc first, but some places like in the US you don't do a masters but you do something inbetween called graduate school. You are basically paying to follow courses that won't give you a degree but that do give you the oppertunity to apply for an unpaid job leading to a PhD. It's rather strange, if you ask me. Glad that where I live I do get a degree after paying tuition and working hard and I do get paid/build pension durign my PhD.So, in summary, people usually do an MSc first,
EternusVia
Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching graduate schools in mathematics. I would like to go for a PhD. My question is, do I apply directly to the PhD program? Or do I apply to the Master's program and apply for the PhD afterwards? What do people normally do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Different schools have different policies, you may want to read through the application page of the places you're applying to, to figure it out.

Usually you do an MSc first, but some places like in the US you don't do a masters but you do something inbetween called graduate school. You are basically paying to follow courses that won't give you a degree but that do give you the oppertunity to apply for an unpaid job leading to a PhD. It's rather strange, if you ask me. Glad that where I live I do get a degree after paying tuition and working hard and I do get paid/build pension durign my PhD.

Almeisan said:
Usually you do an MSc first, but some places like in the US you don't do a masters but you do something inbetween called graduate school. You are basically paying to follow courses that won't give you a degree but that do give you the oppertunity to apply for an unpaid job leading to a PhD. It's rather strange, if you ask me. Glad that where I live I do get a degree after paying tuition and working hard and I do get paid/build pension durign my PhD.
Where do you get that from? There are many options in the US where you do a masters and then apply to a PHD program from the same or different school.

If you want to quit your PhD track, you sometimes get an MSc, true.

Or you mean engineering?

But you can also do a masters first and then apply for a PHD, or in some cases you can apply directly to the PHD. There are at least 500 schools offering graduate programs but there are no uniform rules governing all, nor even most of them. Are you, OP, applying in the US?

EternusVia said:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching graduate schools in mathematics. I would like to go for a PhD. My question is, do I apply directly to the PhD program? Or do I apply to the Master's program and apply for the PhD afterwards? What do people normally do?

In the US, people normally go straight from undergrad to PhD. In Europe, as an example, usually undergrads do a Masters followed by the PhD.

Likes Intraverno

Related to Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics

What is "Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics"?

"Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics" is a seminar or workshop designed to introduce graduate students to the research process in mathematics, including methods, tools, and resources.

Who should attend "Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics"?

Graduate students in mathematics or related fields who are beginning their research journey are encouraged to attend this seminar. It may also be beneficial for undergraduate students who are considering pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics.

What topics are typically covered in "Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics"?

The topics covered in this seminar may vary, but commonly include an overview of the research process, strategies for conducting literature reviews, tools for organizing and managing research, and tips for effective communication and collaboration.

What are the benefits of attending "Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics"?

By attending this seminar, graduate students will gain valuable insights and skills that will aid them in their research journey. They will also have the opportunity to network with other students and professionals in the field.

How can I find out about upcoming "Welcome to Graduate School Research in Mathematics" seminars?

Information about upcoming seminars can usually be found on the website of the university or department offering the seminar, or through announcements from graduate student organizations. You may also contact the department directly to inquire about future seminars.