Help Solve Puzzle: (n!)^3 n = {1-99}

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the problem is to find the number of digits in the sum of (n!)^3 from n=1 to n=99. The solution involves using the formula d = \floor{\log_{10} n} + 1 to find the number of digits in (99!)^3, and then using this to determine the maximum possible number of digits in the sum of the rest of the terms. The approach of using the sigma notation is not correct in this case.
PrudensOptimus
Problem:

[tex](n!)^3[/tex] n = {1-99}

How many digit is the resulting [tex](n!)^3 [/tex]?

Attempted solution:

[tex]\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!)^3 = (\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!))^3 = 99(\frac{1!^3 - 99!^3}{2}) =~ 470[/tex] digits. But they say it's wrong. Please help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[?]

None of this post made sense... try it again from scratch?

The problem is:

(1)!^3 + (2)!^3 + ... + (99)!^3

How many digits are in the resulting sum?

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure.

Anyways, I think it's a trick question. :smile: (99!)^3 is a lot bigger than the rest of the terms in the sequence.

The formula to compute the number of digits d the number n has is:

[tex]
d = \floor{\log_{10} n} + 1
[/tex]

And you can use the properties of logarithms to evaluate this when [tex]\mbox{n=(99!)^3}[/tex].

Once you know how many digits there are in (99!)^3, figure out the maximum possible number of digits in the sum of the rest of them and see if you can prove that the number of digits in (99!)^3 is or is not the number of digits in the sum.

Hint: For this second part, it may be simpler to first try and solve this brain teaser:
What is the largest 6 digit number that has the property that if you add a 3 digit number to it, the sum still has 6 digits?

Hurkl, where did you learn all these "mathematic tricks"? They are very valuable, more like "mathematical treasures!"

after solving d, the answer came very close to my answer... 469.

Bah, the floor function didn't appear in my TeX.

You're supposed to round down in this computation, sorry, so it's 468.

Hurkl, where did you learn all these "mathematic tricks"? They are very valuable, more like "mathematical treasures!"

Basically, I've done a lot of math. :smile: (It's been a hobby ever since I was like 2) The more math you read and do, the more tricks, facts, et cetera you pick up.

Last edited:
So was there something wrong with my sigma approach? Rounding?

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus

[tex]\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!)^3 = (\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!))^3[/tex]

Is a pretty huge increase.

There are a bunch of terms in the middle that you skipped which might account for the extra digits.

The next step doesn't follow either; it is not true that [tex]\mbox{(\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!))^3 = 99(\frac{1!^3 - 99!^3}{2})}[/tex]

Originally posted by Hurkyl
The next step doesn't follow either; it is not true that [tex]\mbox{(\Sigma^{99}_{n=1} (n!))^3 = 99(\frac{1!^3 - 99!^3}{2})}[/tex]

Isn't it true that:

[tex]\Sigma^N_{n=1} n_N = N(\frac{n_1 + n_N}{2})[/tex] ?

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Isn't it true that:

[tex]\Sigma^N_{n=1} n_N = N(\frac{n_1 + n_N}{2})[/tex] ?

Yeah, but you're dealing with n!, not n.

\Sigma^N_{n=1} n_N

What do you mean by [tex]\mbox{n_N}[/tex]?

1. What does the notation (n!)^3 mean?

The notation (n!)^3 means to take the factorial of n and raise it to the power of 3. In other words, it is the product of n factorial multiplied by itself three times.

2. How do I solve this puzzle?

To solve this puzzle, you need to find a value of n that makes the equation (n!)^3 n = {1-99} true. This can be done through trial and error or by using mathematical techniques such as substitution or algebraic manipulation.

3. What is the range of possible values for n?

The range of possible values for n is {1-99}. This is because the equation (n!)^3 n is only defined for positive integers, and n cannot be larger than 99 if we want the result to be less than or equal to 99.

4. Is there a unique solution to this puzzle?

Yes, there is a unique solution to this puzzle. However, it may not be easy to find and may require mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills.

5. What are some real-world applications of this puzzle?

This puzzle has applications in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the number of possible permutations in a given scenario, to analyze the efficiency of algorithms, and to solve problems involving factorials and exponents.