Weird People in Faculty: Have You Seen Any?

• Thread starter Domenico94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, eccentric professors are not found in scientific fields alone. They can be found in all faculties, but they are usually different from the "normal" professors. They can be schizophrenic or obsessive-compulsive, but they are usually harmless.
Domenico94
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm an Italian engineering student. By navigating in other forums, I've often heard of people that one can happen to find in scientific faculties, and that one can find "weird" (Of course not all people studying in scientifc faculties are weird, only just a few): for example one was reported of eating raw chicken, another one in my faculty spends his time talking to himself and walking on the tip of his feet, and so on...the same for the professors...So my question is...have you ever found people like that in your faculty? What do they do usually? :)
It's just an hironic thread, no meaning to be offensive with anyone :b

Physics news on Phys.org
Domenico94 said:
...one was reported of eating raw chicken...
Well, that person won't be bothering anyone much longer... ?:)

Likes berkeman
Domenico94 said:
...for example one was reported of eating raw chicken, another one in my faculty spends his time talking to himself and walking on the tip of his feet, and so on...
They are no longer "weird" but somewhat schizophrenic.

I know :) their behaviour is much more different than the "normal" one...anotheer one, always as said in another forum, used repeating alone, during a math lecture (it's the conjugate of alpha! it's the conjugate of alpha! ) :D The sense of my post was whether you met any of those people in your studies...

Eccentric professors are not found in scientific fields alone. I went to a college that was heavily weighted toward humanities and I'd say a fourth of the faculty members were famous for strange habits and speech mannerisms. It was common for students to do comic impressions of them. STEM teachers have no monopoly on weirdness.

I saw a professor's office covered in beer cans and dirty laundry and with a hammock strung across the room above his desk.

Last edited:
It's probably best not to worry about what people "reportedly" have done.

Universities in general seem to have a higher tolerance for eccentricities in people. I think this is because these are places where people go to expand their minds rather than restrict them.

Well, I haven't personally noticed, but I once heard this girl from the Sociology faculty describing behaviors of people from each faculty and for the faculties of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering she said:

They all walk like soldiers, marching very serious, and with their heads down looking to the ground.

Description which made me think of a clever title for a movie: March of The Engineers. :DD

Likes Lizabella
Choppy said:

Universities in general seem to have a higher tolerance for eccentricities in people. I think this is because these are places where people go to expand their minds rather than restrict them.
True.

But there's a strong association in popular culture that very smart people are eccentric. I think some people behave in odd ways in order to appear smart. It doesn't work, IMO, and often seems like an affectation.

Likes Lizabella
I have a computer engineering professor who's a huge EVE Online fan, that's usually a sign of something wrong in the head from my own experiences with EVE Online. He's actually referenced it in word problems on a few of his exams, and I find it kind of delightful.

Another EE professor I had would declare pieces of chalk with which he had made errors while writing on the board "feral" and throw them out the open window. He hit someone on the sidewalk once.

Choppy said:

True, but there is the caveat that once someone espouses theory X in any area, they are expected to develop it and basically die with it, instead of being constantly improving on it.

Does knowing an engineer who could convert base ten to hexadecimal on the fly count?

We got a guy who doesn't know how to properly button his shirt( and sometimes his pants :/) and always running around :D. It's hillarious!

Just a few months ago, I was studying with a girl at university, and a math teacher (not mine) just got out of the elevator... We, of course, saluted her, by saying "hi teacher"..she just saw us, and after about 10 meters walking , she finally replied : "good morning!" :D :D

dlgoff said:
Does knowing an engineer who could convert base ten to hexadecimal on the fly count?

We could all do that by the end of our first semester. We were required to know how to convert base ten to hex, it came up in our intro digital systems course constantly and by the end we could all do it in our heads. It was kind of wonderful.

Likes dlgoff

Related to Weird People in Faculty: Have You Seen Any?

1. What defines a "weird" person in faculty?

A "weird" person in faculty is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. However, in general, it can refer to someone who displays unusual or eccentric behavior, has odd interests or habits, or has unconventional beliefs.

2. Are there any specific traits or characteristics that weird people in faculty tend to have?

There is no set list of traits or characteristics that all weird people in faculty share. However, they may exhibit traits such as a strong passion for their field of study, a unique perspective on topics, or a tendency to think outside the box.

3. Is it common to encounter weird people in faculty?

It is not uncommon to encounter weird people in faculty. Universities and academic institutions tend to attract individuals who are passionate about their work and have unique perspectives, which can sometimes be perceived as "weird" by others.

4. How should I interact with a weird person in faculty?

It is important to treat a weird person in faculty with the same respect and professionalism as any other colleague. Avoid making assumptions or judgments based on their behavior and try to engage in meaningful conversations about their work or interests.

5. Is it okay to be a weird person in faculty?

Absolutely! Being different or having unusual interests and behaviors should not be seen as a negative trait. In fact, many groundbreaking discoveries and ideas have come from individuals who were considered "weird" by society's standards.