Weird News Compilation

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Weird
In summary, a man who used to be a Fox News guest analyst and claimed to be a CIA agent was sentenced to 33 months in prison for lying about his security clearance, criminal history, and finances.
  • #1,436
Bear.png

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bear-safety-tips-national-park-service-trnd/index.html

Likes pinball1970, collinsmark, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
Weird but useful

A man stranded in the snow without cell service attached his phone to a drone and flew it until he got reception and could send a message for help. It worked.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-stranded-snow-without-cell-021321222.html

MacGyver it.

He was driving down a remote road in the Willamette National Forest, located in the Cascades mountain range, when he got stuck, according to Lane County Sheriff's Search and Rescue."Making his situation worse, his family was out of the country and nobody knew where he had gone or to call for help if he didn't make it home," the search and rescue program said on Sunday.

But thinking quickly, the man, who has not been publicly identified, realized he may be able to use the drone he had with him to call for help. He attached his cell phone to the drone and then typed a text message explaining he needed help and where exactly he was, officials said. After hitting send, he flew his drone "several hundred feet into the air."

"The increased elevation allowed his phone to connect to a tower and send the message, which resulted in our teams being deployed and assisting him out of his situation," the search and rescue group said.

Officials added that during the rescue of the man, they were also able to locate and rescue another motorist who had spent "multiple days" stranded in the snow.

• Wow
  • Love
Likes hmmm27, nsaspook, pinball1970 and 6 others
  • #1,440
Hornbein said:
Why on Earth did they test the cat for cocaine?
That was my thought, too. And what are the consequences? Will the cat become a turkey?

Last edited:
  • #1,441
fresh_42 said:
That was my thought, too. And what are the consequences? Will the cat become a turkey?
I guess it looked like it was stoned. Maybe Cincinnati people like to share with their pets. It brings them closer together. Hmm, noted stoner Bootsie Collins lives in Cincinnati...

• #1,446
The charges against him stemmed from a subsequent investigation into his own online posts that condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Still ridiculous, but it wasn't the picture that caused the sentence.

• #1,447

Watch Teens Attempt to Carjack Man, But Can't Drive Manual Transmission to Get Away​

Two teens who carjacked a man at a gas station in Germantown, Maryland were unable to drive away because they didn't know how to operate the car's manual transmission, police say.

A 16-year-old from Rockville and a 17-year-old from Washington, D.C. were arrested after the carjacking on Saturday at the Sunoco gas station on Frederick Road, Montgomery County police said.
A man had just finished pumping gas and was getting into his car when he saw the two teens running toward him, police said. The teens then forced his door open, grabbed him and demanded his keys, which he handed over to them.

When the teens got into the car, they didn't know how to operate the car's manual transmission, police said, so they got out of the car and ran off.
Soon after, officers saw them nearby and took them into custody after a brief chase on foot, police said.
Both teens were arrested and charged with one count of carjacking and one count of conspiracy carjacking, police said. They are in jail without bond.

1680137590320.png

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nat...rive-manual-transmission-to-get-away/3193338/

Attachments

• 1680137611203.png
    1680137611203.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, jack action, OmCheeto and 2 others
  • #1,448
Lacking technical knowledge.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,449
BillTre said:
Lacking technical knowledge.
Might have saved their lives! I dare to assume that their knowledge of physics isn't any better. And a sound basis in friction, radial motion, and a few force diagrams can make the difference. I even invented a name for these types of accidents that fill the Monday newspapers: disco accidents.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,451
A Reddit user asked the artificial intelligence ChatGPT about children's trips in Frankfurt. For example, it suggests visiting indoor playgrounds in the area on a bad weather day. It actually fits perfectly, one would think.

#1: 55 km away and you definitely need a car to get there. And it is outdoor! Not recommendable on rainy days.

#2: 200 km away!

#3: Finally a suggestion that actually is in Frankfurt. Indoor! A bar! In the red-light district :cool: ...
Open from 6 A.M. to 4 A.M.!

-an-der-moselstrasse-21-hat-von-bis-uhr-offen-25fe.jpg

https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/ki-cha...kneipe-moseleck-bahnhofsviertel-92191841.html

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Rive, BillTre and Astronuc
  • #1,452
Fail!

Insider - Federal agents busted into the wrong hotel room during a training exercise and held a Delta pilot handcuffed for nearly an hour
https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-agents-busted-wrong-hotel-204425744.html

Fox News - FBI handcuffs, interrogates innocent Delta Air Lines pilot in botched Boston training exercise

The Hill - FBI accidentally detains hotel guest during Boston exercise

Agents “were mistakenly sent to the wrong room and detained an individual, not the intended role player,” a statement said, according to the Associated Press.

Lt. Col. Mike Burns of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command told the AP the “training was meant to enhance soldiers’ skills to operate in realistic and unfamiliar environments.”

“The training team, unfortunately, entered the wrong room and detained an individual unaffiliated with the exercise,” he said in a statement.

I would consider the training exercise a dramatic failure - failure to correctly identify the hotel room - which resulted in an innocent person being terrorized. Then they went 45 minutes not recognizing the first mistake.

Edit/update: It could have ended a lot worse for the Delta pilot.

AP News reports "Officers kill homeowner after responding to wrong address"
FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) — Officers with the Farmington Police Department in northwestern New Mexico shot and killed a homeowner when they showed up at the wrong address in response to a domestic violence call, state police investigators said.

The shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday. New Mexico State Police released more details late Thursday, and Farmington police confirmed Friday that the three officers involved are on paid administrative leave pending a review of the case.Body camera footage reviewed by state police shows the homeowner opening the screen door armed with a handgun and that’s when officers retreated and fired. Not knowing who was outside, the man’s wife returned fire from the doorway and officers fired again.

State police said the woman put down her gun after realizing the individuals outside her home were police officers.
https://apnews.com/article/police-shooting-new-mexico-wrong-address-5d9d7a31cf2f454788005ce69d33f755

At 11:30 pm, I'd be concerned if folks showed up at my house with guns, even if they looked like police, knowing I hadn't done anything to warrant police showing up at my house.

Again not confirming the location - and they go to the wrong house!

Last edited:
  • #1,453
Astronuc said:
Fail!

Insider - Federal agents busted into the wrong hotel room during a training exercise and held a Delta pilot handcuffed for nearly an hour
https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-agents-busted-wrong-hotel-204425744.html

Fox News - FBI handcuffs, interrogates innocent Delta Air Lines pilot in botched Boston training exercise

The Hill - FBI accidentally detains hotel guest during Boston exercise
I would consider the training exercise a dramatic failure - failure to correctly identify the hotel room - which resulted in an innocent person being terrorized. Then they went 45 minutes not recognizing the first mistake.
Still better than getting shot while watching tv on your sofa.

• #1,454
FBI Agent 1 to FBI Agent 2: "Man, this guy's good! Really leans into his role, eh?"

• Haha
Likes nsaspook
  • #1,455
A 78-year-old woman charged with robbing a Missouri bank apologized to the teller with a note that read 'sorry I didn't mean to scare you,' prosecutors say
https://www.yahoo.com/news/78-old-woman-charged-robbing-072330847.html
Prosecutors have accused a 78-year-old woman of robbing a Missouri bank — and they say she slipped the bank teller a note, mid-heist, that included an apology for scaring them.
. . .
Gooch approached the bank's counter on April 5 and slipped the cashier a note that read, in part: "I need 13,000 small bills," per the court documents.
. . .
When police stopped her at a parking lot, they found the cash strewn on the floorboard and noted that the vehicle smelled strongly of alcohol, prosecutors said, per The Kansas City Star.

. . .

"When officers first approached her, they were kind of confused," he said.

"It's a little old lady who steps out," he added. "We weren't sure initially that we had the right person."

Gooch has two prior bank robbery convictions — one in 1977 in California and one in the Kansas City suburb of Lee's Summit in 2020, per the Associated Press.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/78-old-woman-accused-robbing-113000979.html

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes OmCheeto and Rive
  • #1,456
It's hard to break old habits :smile:

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Rive
  • #1,457
https://6abc.com/dime-theft-trailer-containing-dimes-philadelphia-walmart-parking-lot/13121955/
ESTIMATED 2 MILLION DIMES STOLEN FROM TRUCK IN NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA
The truck driver picked up the dimes from the Philadelphia Mint on Wednesday but then went home to get some sleep before a long drive to Florida.

"This is common practice - to pick up a load going to Florida and go home for the night, get to sleep, and get on the road in the morning," said Capt. Jack Ryan of Northeast Detectives.

The truck driver parked the big rig in the Walmart parking lot. When he came back Thursday morning he found the trailer door was open.
1681502420645.png

Who the hell would leave a truck load of money in a Walmart parking lot overnight?

Maybe they took them.

• Love
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Ibix, jack action and 1 other person
  • #1,458
nsaspook said:
Who the hell would leave a truck load of money in a Walmart parking lot overnight?
Well, the truck was a dime store.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, BillTre and berkeman
  • #1,459
An Oregon man threw money from his car, littering a highway with $100 bills
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/16/1170312878/oregon-money-car-200k-highway-100-bills

Authorities in Oregon say a driver was hurling cash out of his vehicle on Tuesday, leaving the roadside reportedly littered with $100 bills and prompting drivers in both directions to stop and collect the notes.

The Oregon State Police and other local agencies received calls around 7:23 p.m. local time about money "floating" on Interstate 5 near the south end of Eugene, an OSP spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

Responding troopers identified the driver as 38-year-old Colin Davis McCarthy of Eugene.

His family, with whom he shares a bank account complained that McCarthy made unapproved withdrawal(s), and basically wiped out the family! The moral - don't share bank accounts with others - not even family members.

McCarthy explained his largesse by telling troopers that he wanted to "gift" the money — roughly $200,000, he estimated. Authorities said there was no way to confirm how much dough McCarthy tossed.

Troopers asked McCarthy to stop throwing money onto the roadway because it was creating a traffic hazard, and he agreed. No criminal charges were being considered against him, officials said.

• #1,460
A Utah couple watched their forever home slide off its foundation into a canyon during a collapse they were warned about months prior.

On Saturday, Draper's Eric Kamradt and his wife saw their home and another uninhabited house slip into the canyon the structures once overlooked. According to KSTU, multiple residents in their neighborhood evacuated the surrounding homes at the urging of city officials.Kamradt documented the destruction of the $900,000 home he'd purchased with his wife in November 2021 and shared the clip to LinkedIn.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/supposed-forever-home-2-utah-193332558.html

"Draper City has been following up with the developer, Edge Homes for months on engineering studies Edge Homes has conducted regarding the stability of the surrounding area," the statement read.

It continued: "With the snow pack melting and creating changes in conditions, other homes in the neighborhood will be evaluated for safety concerns. At this time, only the two adjacent homes are being evacuated."

In the December report from KSTU, Kamradt told reporters that Edge Homes offered the options of selling the home back to the agency or "move someplace else while they fix the house."

A spokesperson for the company told the station the shifts in the homes were due to "unique geographic features and the soils on which they were constructed."

In other words, the company built homes on potentially unstable ground. It's all fine - unless it rains or the snow melts. :rolleyes:
:oops:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2-empty-suburban-utah-homes-225015215.html

They were working on 'fixing' the home?!

Now it's beyond the fixer-upper stage.

Likes Borg
  • #1,461
Not so weird, as WT*!

Seventeen year-old loses control of a car at 129 mph, crosses median into on-coming traffic, misses one car, hits another stopped on the shoulder, hits a police officer who had been standing between the stopped car and guardrail (he sees the car and runs), and hits the police car - all caught on the police car's dashcam.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-officer-narrowly-escapes-wild-013833518.html

The kid could have been facing a negligent homicide charge if the police officer had been crushed by between the car and guardrail.

• Wow
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,462
Yeah, glad all were okay afterward. Although if the kid in the BMW had not survived, I would not have shed a tear, TBH.

Likes dextercioby, Bystander and phinds
  • #1,463
Yeah, I see a lot of stupid rich kids (and their parents) with high performance cars driving aggressively around Fairfax County. There was a crash near my house last year from another teen going 80+ in a 35 zone that killed two girls. A driver from a cross street apparently didn't see him and pulled into the road - most people don't stop before turning right on red so I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a contributing factor. The teen's car clipped that vehicle, went up on the sidewalk and struck three girls on their way home from school. That was a mile from my home.

EDIT: Here's the link. I hadn't read all the details before so I described it a bit wrong w.r.t. the cross-street driver. Still, a completely unnecessary tragedy.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...rash-fairfax-near-oakton-high-school/3071454/

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes berkeman, Astronuc and phinds
  • #1,464
Astronuc said:
Not so weird, as WT*!

Seventeen year-old loses control of a car at 129 mph, crosses median into on-coming traffic, misses one car, hits another stopped on the shoulder, hits a police officer who had been standing between the stopped car and guardrail (he sees the car and runs), and hits the police car - all caught on the police car's dashcam.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-officer-narrowly-escapes-wild-013833518.html

The kid could have been facing a negligent homicide charge if the police officer had been crushed by between the car and guardrail.
The video of this was shown last night on the TV show On Patrol Live.... Was scary/wild.

• #1,466
pinball1970 said:
I never heard of this
... and the most absurd thing about that is, that 'in a world without antibiotics' it was not absolutely baseless... :doh:

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G and pinball1970
  • #1,467
That is outstandingly weird.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,468
Thank goodness the dog is not facing any charges... :smile:

A driver in Colorado tried to switch seats with his dog to avoid a DUI arrest, police say

CNN —

A driver in Colorado tried to avoid a DUI arrest by swapping seats with his dog after being pulled over, police said.

The man was stopped by police around 11:30 p.m. Saturday for allegedly driving 52 mph in a 30-mph zone, the Springfield Police Department said in a post on Facebook.

“The driver attempted to switch places with his dog who was in the passenger seat, as the SPD officer approached and watched the entire process,” the post said. “The male party then exited the passenger side of the vehicle and claimed he was not driving.”

The man, whom police didn’t name, appeared intoxicated, and when asked by an officer if he’d been drinking, he ran away, the post said.

He was apprehended about 20 yards from the vehicle, police said.

The man was taken to a hospital where he was medically cleared, then booked into the Baca County Jail on charges including driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, speeding and resisting arrest, police said.

The dog was handed over to a friend of the driver while he was in jail, the post said. “The dog does not face any charges and was let go with just a warning.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/16/us/colorado-dog-driver-dui-arrest/index.html

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes DaveE, pinball1970, Tom.G and 6 others
  • #1,469
I got this...

• #1,470
berkeman said:
I got this...

Do you know why I pulled you over?

"Bark bark bark bork bark bork bark"