Weighted averages in groups with common range

In summary, the conversation discusses a survey with weighted questions and the goal of calculating average scores for each category and overall. The challenge is to make the ranges of the categories and total score consistent. An idea is proposed to use an affine mapping to map the scores of each category to the desired range. This solution is tested and found to work well, but there is a concern about changing the range in the future. However, it is determined that the raw data can be used to recalculate scores if needed. The conversation concludes with a reference to a bit field and thanks for the solution.
td3201
I am doing a survey of questions grouped into categories. Each question has a weight applied to it. I want to then total and average each category. Lastly, I want to total and average all the categories together. Here's the challenge: I want all of categories and the total average to have the same range somehow.

See attachment (png file) for a pic of the data I mocked up to describe my situation.

The answers are a range of 1-5 (likert scale). So as you can see in the picture, the group ranges are 1-5, 1.45-7.25, and 1.90-9.50 respectively. However, the group is a completely different range 1.45-7.25. This is naturally happening because of the different weights on the questions. My end goal here is to give an average score for each category and the total score at the end similar to a FICO score. So the ranges must be the same for them to have the same effect. How can I do this with these weights in the mix?

Attachments

• range-issue.PNG
    range-issue.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 424
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I just had a thought. Would it work if I made all of the weights in the category equal 1 (100%)?

Scratch that, not it.

Suppose the actual scores are Xa (total in category A), Xb, Xc. You still want the total score to be Xa+Xb+Xc (or dividing by total number of questions if you want the average), right? But you also want to quote average scores by category in a way that's consistent with the overall average.
If the overall range is Y to Z, and the range for category A is Ya to Za, apply an affine mapping to the score Sa on category A: Sa->(Sa-Ya)*(Z-Y)/(Za-Ya) + Y. This maps Ya to Y, Za to Z, and everything in between in proportion.

This seems to work pretty well. However, it does not seem to scale if I change the range. Is there a way to make the "grade" the same based on the range?

Range = 1000-200
CategoryA Score = 504.2
Percentage Grade = 59.9%

Range = 850-300
CategoryA Score = 509.14
Percentage Grade = 50.4%

Excel formula
=((AVERAGE(J6:J16)-D17)*($B$1-$B$2)/(E17-D17)+$B$2)
504.20=(2.7273-1.0667)*(1000-200)/(5.4091-1.0667)+200
509.14=(2.7273-1.0667)*(850-300)/(5.4091-1.0667)+300

Entry Weight Score
1 1.2 1.2
2 1.3 2.6
3 1 3
4 1 4
5 1 5
1 1 1
2 1.1 2.2
3 1 3
4 1.2 4.8
1 1 1
2 1.1 2.2

I think I talked myself out of my concern. The reason I was concerned is if we ever change the range, it would mess with the quality of the scores. However, we are capturing the raw (non-weighted) data so we can re-calculate as needed. This is a very low possibility but fun to project either way. Your solution worked. This kind of reminds me of a bit field:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_field

Thanks!

Related to Weighted averages in groups with common range

1. What is a weighted average?

A weighted average is a type of average that takes into account the relative importance, or weight, of each value in a set of data. This means that certain values have a greater impact on the overall average than others.

2. How is a weighted average calculated?

To calculate a weighted average, you multiply each value in the data set by its corresponding weight, then add up all of these products and divide by the sum of the weights. This gives a more accurate representation of the overall average, as it takes into account the significance of each value.

3. What is the purpose of using weighted averages in groups with common range?

Weighted averages are commonly used in groups with common range to take into account the varying sizes of the subgroups within the larger group. This allows for a more accurate representation of the overall average and takes into consideration the different sizes and weights of each subgroup.

4. How does a common range affect the calculation of a weighted average?

In groups with a common range, the range of values is the same for each subgroup. This means that the weights assigned to each subgroup will be the same, making the calculation of the weighted average simpler.

5. Can a weighted average be used for any type of data?

Yes, a weighted average can be used for any type of data as long as there is a weight assigned to each value. This can be applied to various fields such as finance, economics, and statistics, to name a few.