Standard Deviation of Averages

In summary: Please provide a summary of the conversation.In summary, the conversation discussed the categorization of bird catch data into 42 groups and the calculation of an average catch per person and standard deviation. It was determined that to obtain the average standard deviation of bird weight catch per person, a list of the weight caught by each individual person is needed, rather than the weight caught in the 42 groups.
JohnFishy
Any help would be much appreciated:

My data is grouped into 42 categories according to classification of bird catch. Each group contains "X" amount of species, but for ease of input we categorize them into subsets. For example:

Group 1: 265.5 kg
Group 2: 47 kg
Group 3: 213.5 kg
etc...
Group 42: 63 kg

The sum is equal to 4765 kg. However, to get the average, the total is divided by 400 which is the total amount of birds per people catching them. Hence, the average catch per person is roughly 12 birds. Now if I take the std. deviation of the groups' averages (4765 kg) I get 92.6. Dividing that by 400 I get 0.23 kg.

My question is this; can I simply take the standard deviation of the 'population' whole (each group's average) and divide it by 400? Or is it much more complex due to squaring. Do I need to collate the entire data set into weight of individual birds (not groups)? If I take the std. deviation of every individual birds weight, the result is 3.19 kg. However, this is for every bird not birds/person.

Regards,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello John, welcome to PF :smile: !

Not clear to me what the data you show represent. Nor what you want to obtain by taking an average.
What I read: An unspecified number of persons go bird catching. Each person catches on average 400 birds ?
In total 4765 kg of bird is caught (yuch !)

The birds are categorized in groups by species.

Then what does averaging do for you ? Let alone determining the standard deviation ?

I don't believe the numbers either: if the sum is 4765 kg and there are 42 groups then the average is 113 kg per group and the standard deviation will be much less than 93 kg.

Im sorry for not clarifing more. There are 400 people, what I wish to obtain is an average catch per person with a standard deviation. So, can I take the standard deviation of the whole (4765 kg) and divide that by 400 to get the average std. deviation of bird weight catch per person?

JohnFishy said:
Im sorry for not clarifing more. There are 400 people, what I wish to obtain is an average catch per person with a standard deviation. So, can I take the standard deviation of the whole (4765 kg) and divide that by 400 to get the average std. deviation of bird weight catch per person?
No. If you want that, you will need to have a list of the weight caught by each individual person. That is not a list of the weight caught in the 42 groups.

BvU said:
No. If you want that, you will need to have a list of the weight caught by each individual person. That is not a list of the weight caught in the 42 groups.

JohnFishy said:
BvU said:
Not a helpful reply if all you do is quote a previous post.

Related to Standard Deviation of Averages

What is the definition of standard deviation of averages?

The standard deviation of averages is a statistical measure that indicates how much the data values deviate from the mean of a set of averages. It is a measure of the variation or spread of the data points around the mean.

Why is the standard deviation of averages important?

The standard deviation of averages is important because it provides information about the variability of the data. It helps identify how much the data points differ from the mean, and therefore, how representative the average is of the entire data set. It is also used to compare the spread of data between different groups or sets.

How is the standard deviation of averages calculated?

The standard deviation of averages is calculated by finding the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, and then taking the square root of that value. The formula for standard deviation is:
σ = √(∑(xi - x̄)^2 / n)
where σ is the standard deviation, x̄ is the mean, xi is each data point, and n is the number of data points.

What does a high standard deviation of averages indicate?

A high standard deviation of averages indicates that the data points are spread out over a wider range, and there is more variability in the data. This means that the average may not be representative of the entire data set, and the data points are farther away from the mean.

How is the standard deviation of averages used in research?

The standard deviation of averages is used in research to measure the consistency of data and to assess the significance of differences between groups. It is also used to evaluate the reliability of data, to identify outliers or extreme values, and to determine the confidence interval for a given set of data.