Weighing Trouble: Find the Set with 5kg Balls

• Thread starter ashishsinghal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weighing
In summary, the conversation discusses a riddle about finding a set of 5kg balls within a group of 10 sets of balls, where 9 sets contain 10kg balls and 1 set contains 5kg balls. The solution involves using a digital weighing machine to determine the weight of a set of 10 balls and comparing it to the weight of a set of 9 balls, with the difference indicating which set contains the 5kg balls. The speaker also mentions solving another riddle about two doors.
ashishsinghal
suppose you have 10 sets of balls containing 10 balls each. out of these 9 sets have all balls weighing 10kg (individually) and 1 set has 5kg balls. You can use the digital weighing machine once. how will you wind out which set has 5kg balls?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read this before answering:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100534

I'd pick 1 ball from the first ball, 2 balls from the next, 3 balls from the next, and so on. Then I'd weigh them, and the result would tell me which balls are lighter.

You got it right. Did you think of it or you knew it. Even for the "Two Doors". You seem to be a professional.

Well, the two doors was something I knew of before. But I don't think I've solved this one before. It was a fun riddle though :smile:

Related to Weighing Trouble: Find the Set with 5kg Balls

1. How do you determine the weight of the balls in the set?

The weight of the balls can be determined by using a calibrated weighing scale. Each ball can be individually weighed and the total weight can be calculated by adding all the individual weights together.

2. Why are the balls in the set all 5kg?

The balls in the set are all 5kg in order to simplify the weighing process. Having uniform weights makes it easier to calculate the total weight of the set without having to take into account different weights for each ball.

3. Can you use any kind of weighing scale for this experiment?

As long as the weighing scale is accurate and calibrated, it can be used for this experiment. However, it is recommended to use a digital scale with a precision of at least 0.01g for more accurate results.

4. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of weighing and how it can be used to find the total weight of a set of objects. It also helps in understanding the importance of uniform weights and precision in measurements.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken while conducting this experiment?

It is important to handle the heavy balls with care to prevent any injuries. It is also recommended to conduct the experiment in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any dust or particles from the balls. Additionally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the weighing scale and use it in a safe and stable environment.