Webpage title: How Fast Does the Shadow of a Dropped Ball Move Along the Ground?

In summary, a basket ball is dropped from a height of 10 m and at a horizontal distance of 2 m from a light pole with a light source at the top of the pole 15 m above the ground. The shadow of the ball is moving along the ground at a speed of -3 m/s one second after the ball is dropped. This can be determined by using kinematics and finding the horizontal velocity of the ball, as well as using similar triangles to find the relationship between the horizontal displacement and the vertical displacement of the ball.
songoku

Homework Statement

a basket ball is dropped from a height of 10 m and at a horizontal distance of 2 m from a light pole. A light source at the top of the light pole is 15 m above the ground. How fast is the shadow of the ball moving along the ground one second after the ball is dropped? it can be assumed that t seconds after the ball is released, the distance dropped is given by s = 5t2

Homework Equations

kinematics (I suppose)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any ideas..

This is the thing that I've done :

after 1 s :
s = 5 m
v = u + at = 9.8 ms-1

I don't know what to do about the shadow...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Related rates problem? If so, you have to come up with a formula that relates the horizontal with the vertical of a triangle. Then differentiate that to come up with an equation that you can solve dx/dt for, which is what you are looking for.

Using horizontal distance and the height of then projection find the horizontal velocity v.
After time t the horizontal displacement of the ball is v*t. Let the length of the shadow be x, and the vertical displacement ball is 5*t^2.
After time t the vertical position of ball from the light is = ...?
Draw the line joining the ball and the light and extend it to the ground. Now you can get two similar triangles. Then take the ratio of the proportionate sides. And find dx/dt.

Hi pynergee and rl.bhat
rl.bhat said:
Using horizontal distance and the height of then projection find the horizontal velocity v.
After time t the horizontal displacement of the ball is v*t.
I think the horizontal velocity and displacement of the ball is zero because the ball is dropped so the trajectory of the ball is vertically downward, not parabolic?

Let the length of the shadow be x, and the vertical displacement ball is 5*t^2.
After time t the vertical position of ball from the light is = ...?
Draw the line joining the ball and the light and extend it to the ground. Now you can get two similar triangles. Then take the ratio of the proportionate sides. And find dx/dt.

This is what I've tried. Assuming that the ball only has vertical movement, from similar triangles I got :

[tex]\frac{15}{2+x}=\frac{5+5t^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{6}{1+t^2}-2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{-12t}{(1+t^2)^2}[/tex]

For t = 1 :

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=-3~ ms^{-1}[/tex]

Am I right?

Thanks

Related to Webpage title: How Fast Does the Shadow of a Dropped Ball Move Along the Ground?

1. What is kinematics about shadow?

Kinematics about shadow is the study of the motion of shadows and their relationship to the objects casting them. It involves analyzing the size, shape, and position of shadows as they change over time.

2. How does the position of the sun affect the motion of shadows?

The position of the sun greatly affects the motion of shadows. As the sun moves across the sky, the angle of the sunlight changes, causing shadows to move and change in length and direction.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the shape of its shadow?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining the shape of its shadow. The angle and intensity of the light source, as well as the distance between the object and the light source, also affect the shape of the shadow.

4. Can shadows have different speeds?

Yes, shadows can have different speeds depending on the motion of the object casting the shadow and the motion of the light source. For example, if the object is moving, the shadow will also move, and its speed will depend on the object's velocity. Similarly, if the light source is moving, the shadow's speed will be affected.

5. How is kinematics about shadow useful in real life?

Kinematics about shadow has many practical applications, such as in photography, architecture, and astronomy. It can also be used to study and predict the effects of solar eclipses and to determine the height of objects based on their shadows.