Webpage title: Air Resistance of Baseball: Quadratic vs Linear Drag Force

In summary, the ratio of the quadratic to linear drag force is given by f_{quad}/f_{lin} = (1.6 x 10^{3} \frac{s}{m^{2}}) Dv, where D is the diameter of the baseball. To find the approximate speed at which the two drag forces are equally important, set the ratio equal to 1 and solve for v. It is also safe to treat the drag force as purely quadratic if the ratio is 10 or more, as the linear term becomes negligible. Under normal conditions, it is a good approximation to ignore the linear term as the quadratic term is significantly larger.
Oblio
When a baseball flies through the air, the ratio f[tex]_{quad}[/tex] / f [tex]_{lin}[/tex] of the quadratic to the linear drag force is given by

[tex]\frac{f_{quad}}{f_{lin}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{cv^{2}}{bv}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\gamma D}{\beta}[/tex] v = (1.6 x 10[tex]^{3}[/tex] [tex]\frac{s}{m^{2}}[/tex]) Dv.

Given that a baseball has a diamater of 7 cm, find the approximate speed v at which the two drag forces are equally important. For what approximate range of speeds is it sage to treat the drag foce as purely quadratic? Under normal conditions is it a good approximation to ignore the linear term?

f[tex]_{lin}[/tex] = bv

f[tex]^{quad}[/tex] = cv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Dumb question in starting this, does the b here represent slope? I can't find a definition of the variable in my text...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I found that

b = [tex]\beta[/tex]D

c = [tex]\gamma[/tex]D[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how the ratio works so that you find which force is negligable and which is not.
Help?

For the first part, at what velocity in terms of b and c, is the quadratic component equal to the linear component ?

my guess is, it's safe to ignore the linear term if the quadratic force is ten times the linear force or more.

How does that equation though, since the two thing being compared and being divided, show what can be ignored?

Oblio said:
How does that equation though, since the two thing being compared and being divided, show what can be ignored?

It's showing you the ratio of the two forces... if the ratio is high then the linear term is insignificant compared to the quadratic term (since the quadratic term is so much bigger)... so the linear term won't have much of an effect as compared to the quadratic term... so we might as well ignore it.

On the other hand if the ratio is extremely low... close to 0, then the quadratic term is insignificant compared to the linear term... and we can ignore the quadratic term, and keep the linear term.

I used a ratio of 10, purely as a guess... I don't know what would be a good ratio... 10 times seems big enough...

I see...
So, i want it equal to 1 for them to be equally important?

Oblio said:
I see...
So, i want it equal to 1 for them to be equally important?

yes, exactly.

Ok but the velocity is always squared in the quadratic force. How can I ever change the velocity to make them equal?

Oblio said:
Ok but the velocity is always squared in the quadratic force. How can I ever change the velocity to make them equal?

Solve for the velocity. You'll see.

I got 9.14 x 10^-3 m/s... that doesn't sound right.

the values given for beta is 1.6 x 10^-4 Ns/m^2

and gamma is 0.25 Ns^2/m^4

Oblio said:
I got 9.14 x 10^-3 m/s... that doesn't sound right.

What is b and c?

You want 1.6*10^3*D*v = 1. using D= 0.07 I get 8.93*10^-3m/s

b: I get (1.6 x 10^-4) x (7cm) = 11.2 x 10^-6

c: (.25) x (7cm^2) = 1.225 x 10^-3

It matters what part of the equation you use?

Oblio said:
It matters what part of the equation you use?

No. It's all the same. But it's probably most convenient to use 1.6*10^3 D*v, since you can just plug in the diameter.

I must be doing something wrong with the other part...

"For what approximate range of speeds is it safe to treat the drag force as purely quadratic".

ie when is linear negliable?

Oblio said:
"For what approximate range of speeds is it safe to treat the drag force as purely quadratic".

ie when is linear negliable?

Not sure... it's a matter of opinion. When the ratio is 10 or more I'd say...

I think the reason our numbers are off are because gamma/beta = 1.5625*10^3... not 1.6*10^3

when I use 1.5625*10^3, I also get 9.14*10^-3m/s. So I think that's right.

Ah, you that's right.

So I understand the question right, in that they want when the linear force is negligable?

Oblio said:
Ah, you that's right.

So I understand the question right, in that they want when the linear force is negligable?

Yeah. Negligible compared to the quadratic term.

Great.
I guess I can say that its ok to ignore the linear force under normal conditions since the quadratic is so much more.

Oblio said:
Great.
I guess I can say that its ok to ignore the linear force under normal conditions since the quadratic is so much more.

Yes, I agree. For a ratio of 10 or more (ie quadratic is 10 times linear force), the velocity needs to be at least 0.0914m/s. The baseball will be going much faster than that, so you can definitely ignore the linear term.

Related to Webpage title: Air Resistance of Baseball: Quadratic vs Linear Drag Force

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air.

2. How does air resistance affect a baseball?

As a baseball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance which slows it down and changes its trajectory. This can make it more difficult for a batter to hit the ball and for a pitcher to throw a strike.

3. What factors affect the air resistance of a baseball?

The air resistance of a baseball is affected by its velocity, cross-sectional area, and surface texture. A faster-moving ball, larger cross-sectional area, and smoother surface will experience more air resistance.

4. Can air resistance be reduced for a baseball?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced for a baseball by decreasing its velocity, decreasing its cross-sectional area, and adding texture to its surface. This is why pitchers often use different types of pitches and batters may use a bat with a textured surface.

5. How does air resistance impact a baseball's flight distance?

Air resistance can significantly impact a baseball's flight distance. The greater the air resistance, the shorter the distance the ball will travel. This is why home runs hit in high altitudes or with a tailwind tend to travel farther than those hit in lower altitudes or against a headwind.