Quadratic drag — a baseball is thrown upwards

In summary, the ball rises due to the fluid resistance and the gravitational force. The F_(v initial) is the gravitational force.
jbeatphys

Homework Statement

[/B]
A baseball of mass m is thrown straight up with an initial velocity v0. Assuming that the air drag on the ball varies quadratically with speed (f = cv^2), show that the speed varies with height according to the equations.

[Attached]
Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 1.48.52 pm.png

Where x_{0} is the highest point and k = c/m. Note: x is measured positive upward, and the gravitational force is assumed to be constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I see it, F_netup = F(v_intial) - normal force - drag force(-v) & F_netdown = normal force - drag force.

F_up
(1) Integrate to v(t) (from v0 to 0) and then set v(0) and solve for t, which is the time that it takes to get the peak of the throw.
(2) Integrate to x(t) (from 0 to x0) and then sub in t_{peak}, and solve for v^2.

This is what I have in my head. But I when I complete these calculations I get nothing like what I should be getting [according to the equations] — I get a very complicated equation with hyperbolic trig functions.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, we can't peek inside your head. You'll have to show your work.

SteamKing said:
Unfortunately, we can't peek inside your head. You'll have to show your work.

Okay, I can understand that, not a problem (and probably fortunately).

What are the (two) forces acting on the ball when it is rising? What does F_(v initial) mean? A normal force is usually considered a contact force. Is anything contacting the ball as it rises?

Chet

Oops. Yes. There is nothing in contact with the ball (other than the fluid, which is air) and so there is no normal force. I meant to say gravitational force, sorry.

The two forces acting upon the ball whilst it rises are the gravitational and the fluid resistance, which are both opposing the initial velocity. You are right to question what is the F_(v initial) it is definitely the wrong conceptualisation of the problem.

To reiterate:

m dv/dt = -mg-cv^2 (up) &
m dv/dt = mg-cv^2 (down) ... I am pretty sure now.

I am going through my calculations again at the moment.

jbeatphys said:
Oops. Yes. There is nothing in contact with the ball (other than the fluid, which is air) and so there is no normal force. I meant to say gravitational force, sorry.

The two forces acting upon the ball whilst it rises are the gravitational and the fluid resistance, which are both opposing the initial velocity. You are right to question what is the F_(v initial) it is definitely the wrong conceptualisation of the problem.

To reiterate:

And thanks for correcting my misconceptions.

jbeatphys said:

To reiterate:

Much better. Nice job.

Related to Quadratic drag — a baseball is thrown upwards

1. What is quadratic drag?

Quadratic drag is a type of air resistance that acts on objects moving through a fluid, such as air. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the fluid molecules, which creates a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

2. How does quadratic drag affect a baseball thrown upwards?

As the baseball travels upwards, it experiences a force due to quadratic drag that opposes its motion. This force increases as the velocity of the ball increases, causing it to slow down and eventually reach its maximum height before falling back to the ground.

3. Can quadratic drag be ignored in the motion of a baseball?

No, quadratic drag cannot be ignored in the motion of a baseball. It is an important factor that affects the trajectory and speed of the ball, especially at higher velocities. Ignoring quadratic drag would result in inaccurate predictions of the ball's flight.

4. Does the density of the fluid affect quadratic drag?

Yes, the density of the fluid does affect the magnitude of quadratic drag. A denser fluid will result in a greater force of air resistance, which will have a larger impact on the motion of the baseball.

5. How can quadratic drag be calculated for a baseball?

Quadratic drag can be calculated using the formula Fd = ½ρAv², where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and v is the object's velocity. For a baseball, the value of A is determined by its diameter, and ρ can be estimated using the density of air at the given conditions.