Web Hosting Suggestions for Jameson

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking suggestions for web hosting services with specific requirements. They mention considering hosting the website on their own computer, but ultimately decide to use a hosting service due to difficulty with configuration. They also inquire about the amount of space needed for a forum site. One suggestion for a hosting service is www.bigbytes.net, which offers affordable packages with PHP and MySQL support. The reason for their low prices is because they oversell, although the person speaking has not had any problems with their service.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I know I posted a thread like this one a while back, but I'm finally ready to make my own website and pay for it. I've done a lot of research on my own, but I would love to hear your suggestions for great web hosting services. I need medium storage and bandwith with PHP and MySQL capabilities.

Thanks,
Jameson

Computer science news on Phys.org
What about hosting the website on your own computer? It isn't all that difficult.

try www.bigbytes.net, they offer the some of the cheapest webhosting packages with php/mysql support. How come they are so cheap? They oversell. As much as overselling might sound like a bad thing I have not had any problems with their service. you can also do what dduardo recommended but just don't use IIS.

dduardo said:
What about hosting the website on your own computer? It isn't all that difficult.

I tried that route with the Apache server on Linux. The configuration of PHP, MySQL, and Apache were not in a nice GUI interface that I'm used to. So I think hosting on another server is the best option.

Also, if I were to run a forum site similar to this one, how much space would you recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Web Hosting Suggestions for Jameson

1. What is web hosting?

Web hosting is a service that allows individuals or organizations to make their website accessible via the internet. It involves storing website files on a server and making those files available to be viewed by anyone with an internet connection.

2. What type of web hosting do I need for my website?

The type of web hosting you need will depend on the size and complexity of your website. Shared hosting is a popular and affordable option for small websites, while dedicated hosting is better for larger, more resource-intensive websites. VPS hosting is a middle ground between shared and dedicated hosting, offering more control and resources than shared hosting at a lower cost than dedicated hosting.

3. How much does web hosting cost?

The cost of web hosting can vary greatly depending on the type of hosting, the provider, and any additional features or services included. Shared hosting can range from $3-$10 per month, while dedicated hosting can range from $50-$200 per month. VPS hosting falls somewhere in between, typically costing $20-$50 per month.

4. What features should I look for in a web hosting provider?

When choosing a web hosting provider, it is important to consider factors such as reliability, uptime guarantees, customer support, website building tools, security features, and scalability options. You should also research the provider's reputation and read reviews from other users to ensure they have a good track record.

5. Can I switch web hosting providers in the future?

Yes, it is possible to switch web hosting providers at any time. However, it is important to consider any potential downtime or data loss that may occur during the transfer process. It is also important to make sure that your new hosting provider offers all the features and services you need for your website.