Weak solutions to PDE with different ICs

• Thread starter TaPaKaH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde Weak
In summary, we are considering a boundary value problem involving a second-order partial differential operator on a bounded open set with smooth boundary. We define the notion of weak solution and show the existence and uniqueness of a solution in an appropriately chosen Sobolev space. We also explore a different set of boundary conditions and prove the existence of a weak solution in a different Sobolev space. However, there is a technical problem in proving that the inner product we define is valid for all functions in the chosen Sobolev space.
TaPaKaH

Homework Statement

Let ##U\subset\mathbb{R}^n## be a bounded open set with smooth boundary ##\partial U##. Consider the boundary value problem $$\begin{cases}\bigtriangleup^2u=f&\text{on }U\\u=\frac{\partial u}{\partial n}=0&\text{on }\partial U\end{cases}$$where ##n## is the outward pointing normal on ##\partial U## and ##f\in L^2(U)##.
a) Define the notion of weak solution and show that the boundary value problem has a unique solution in an appropreately chosen Sobolev space.
b) Change the boundary conditions to ##u=\bigtriangleup u=0## and prove the existence of a weak solution in the appropreate Sobolev space.

Homework Equations

The book I am using describes the procedure for second-order partial differential operator ##L=-\sum_{i,j=1}^na_{i,j}u_{x_ix_j}+\sum_{i=1}^nb_iu_{x_i}+cu## with boundary condition ##u=0## as follows:
Multiply ##Lu=f## by a test function ##v\in C_0^\infty## and integrate over ##U##. After some partial integration one has$$\sum_{i,j=1}^n\int_Ua_{ij}u_{x_i}v_{x_j}+\sum_{i=1}\int_Ub_iu_{x_i}v+\int_Ucuv=\int_Ufv.$$By approximation (property) the equality above can be made to hold for any ##v\in W_0^{1,2}(U)## so they define ##u\in W_0^{1,2}(U)## as the weak solution of the problem if it satisfies the formula above for any ##v\in W_0^{1,2}(U)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiplying the equation by a test function ##v\in C_0^\infty(U)## and integrating over ##U## I get (after partial integration, using that all derivatives of ##v## are zero on the boundary):$$\sum_{i,j=1}^n\int_Uu_{x_ix_i}v_{x_jx_j}=\int_Ufv$$or (depending on the order of partial integration)$$\sum_{i,j=1}^n\int_Uu_{x_ix_j}v_{x_ix_j}=\int_Ufv.$$Here I make a similar statement that both of the equalities above can be made to hold for any ##v\in W_0^{2,2}(U)## hence if ##u\in W_0^{2,2}(U)## satisfies those for any ##v## then it is a weak solution.
From here on the existence and uniqueness of ##u## follows from Lax-Milgram Theorem after proving the coercivity and continuity of left-hand side (denoted as bilinear form ##B[u,v]##) and continuity of right-hand side (denoted as ##L^2(U)## inner product ##(f,v)##).

My problem is that my assumption on ##u\in W_0^{2,2}(U)## might be too general since it makes no difference between cases a) and b) but I can't think of any "more specific" Sobolev space to let ##u## be in.

Any comments welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to solve a) for ##u,v\in W^{2,2}(U)\cap W_0^{1,2}(U)## but hit a technical problem.
I defined$$(u,v)=\sum_{i,j=1}^n\int_Uu_{x_ix_j}v_{x_ix_j}$$and tried to show that it's an inner product on ##u,v\in W^{2,2}(U)\cap W_0^{1,2}(U)##, but I'm having difficulties with showing that $$0=(u,u)=\sum_{i,j=1}^n\|u_{x_ix_j}\|_{L^2(U)}$$ implies that ##u\equiv0## almost everywhere on ##U##.

Related to Weak solutions to PDE with different ICs

1. What is a weak solution to a PDE?

A weak solution to a PDE (partial differential equation) is a solution that may not satisfy the PDE in the traditional sense, but satisfies it in a weaker or more generalized sense. It is often used when the PDE is not well-defined or does not have a traditional solution. Weak solutions are commonly used in mathematical physics and engineering.

2. How do weak solutions differ from strong solutions to PDEs?

Strong solutions to PDEs are solutions that satisfy the PDE in the traditional sense, meaning they are smooth and satisfy the PDE at every point. Weak solutions, on the other hand, may not be smooth and may only satisfy the PDE in a generalized sense. Weak solutions are often used when the PDE does not have a strong solution or when the problem is too complex to solve for a strong solution.

3. What are some examples of PDEs that have weak solutions?

There are many examples of PDEs that have weak solutions, including the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the heat equation, which models the diffusion of heat. Other examples include the wave equation, the Schrödinger equation, and the Maxwell equations.

4. What are the advantages of using weak solutions to PDEs?

The use of weak solutions allows for a more general approach to solving PDEs, as they can be applied to a wider range of problems. They also allow for the consideration of non-smooth solutions, which can be more realistic in many physical and engineering applications. Additionally, weak solutions can often be easier to obtain and analyze than strong solutions, making them a useful tool for solving complex problems.

5. How are initial conditions (ICs) treated in weak solutions to PDEs?

In weak solutions to PDEs, initial conditions are typically treated as constraints rather than exact conditions. This means that the solution may not satisfy the initial conditions exactly, but will instead satisfy them in a generalized sense. The choice of initial conditions for a weak solution can greatly affect the solution, and different choices can lead to different weak solutions for the same PDE.