Waves: determining the max distance of a traveling wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a portable device to detect pirate radio stations using a 0.60-m antenna dish. The main concern is whether the amplifier input will require a signal of at least 0.10 μW and what is the maximum distance from a radio station at which the signal would still be sufficient for detection. The equations suggested for finding the solution are I = P/A = P/(4*pi*r^2) and I_surf = P/L, but the individual is struggling to get accurate results and is seeking guidance on where they may be going wrong.
Barry Melby
You want to build a portable device that can detect pirate radio stations broadcasting at about 50 W of power a few miles from your beachfront home. You have a 0.60-m diameter bowl you might use as an antenna dish, but you are worried that your amplifier input will require a signal of at least 0.10 μW. Determine the maximum distance from a radio station at which the signal would still be sufficient for you to detect it with your dish.

I believe that you should be using the following equations: I = P/A = P/(4*pi*r^2) & I_surf = P/L

I attempted to find the solution by solving for I when P = 50 W and A = 4*pi*(.30)^2 then plugging I into the second equation, but this isn't giving me the correct results. Where am I going wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't delete the HW template when you post a HW thread.

Related to Waves: determining the max distance of a traveling wave

1. How is the maximum distance of a traveling wave determined?

The maximum distance of a traveling wave is determined by its wavelength and amplitude. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave, while the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particles in the medium from their rest position.

2. Can the maximum distance of a traveling wave change?

Yes, the maximum distance of a traveling wave can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. For example, a wave traveling through a more dense medium will have a shorter wavelength and a smaller maximum distance compared to a wave traveling through a less dense medium.

3. How does the frequency of a wave affect its maximum distance?

The frequency of a wave, which is the number of complete cycles it completes in one second, does not affect its maximum distance. The maximum distance of a wave is solely determined by its wavelength and amplitude.

4. Is the maximum distance of a traveling wave the same as its speed?

No, the maximum distance of a traveling wave is not the same as its speed. The speed of a wave is determined by its frequency and wavelength, whereas the maximum distance is determined by the amplitude and wavelength.

5. How is the maximum distance of a traveling wave related to its energy?

The maximum distance of a traveling wave is indirectly related to its energy. A higher amplitude, and therefore a larger maximum distance, means that the wave is carrying more energy. However, the frequency and wavelength also play a role in determining the energy of a wave.