Wavefunction collapse on degenerate states

In summary, The conversation discusses a Hamiltonian with degenerate energy eigenstates and the resulting wave function after an energy measurement. It is uncertain which of the degenerate eigenstates the wave function would collapse on and if the resulting wave function would be a linear combination of the degenerate eigenstates, with coefficients determined by the subspace. The person speaking is unsure about collapsing and its implications in this scenario.
osturk
Hello, I am a beginner on the sbject so please correct if I'm using some sloppy terminology. I'll try to be clear.

Consider a Hamiltonian with degenerate energy eigenstates (say the degeneracy is on angular momentum as in hydrogen atom).

Which of the degenerate eigenstates would the wave function collapse on, after an energy measurement?

Would the resulting wave function be a linear combination of the degenerate eigenstates (which has different angular momentum numbers m,l)?
If so, how are the coefficients of the linear combination determined?

Thanks in advance,
Deniz

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess any of the vectors in the subspace could be the new state, but what do I know ? I don't believe in collapsing anyway.

Related to Wavefunction collapse on degenerate states

1. What is wavefunction collapse on degenerate states?

Wavefunction collapse on degenerate states refers to the phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the wavefunction of a system collapses into one of multiple possible states when measured, even though the states have the same energy. This collapse is random and cannot be predicted, and it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How does wavefunction collapse on degenerate states occur?

Wavefunction collapse on degenerate states occurs when a measurement is made on a quantum system. The measurement causes the wavefunction to collapse into one of the possible states, which is then observed as a classical outcome. The probability of the collapse is determined by the amplitude of the wavefunction for each state.

3. Why is wavefunction collapse on degenerate states important?

Wavefunction collapse on degenerate states is important because it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in many quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Can wavefunction collapse on degenerate states be controlled?

No, wavefunction collapse on degenerate states is a random and unpredictable process. It cannot be controlled or manipulated in any way. However, scientists can use probability calculations to make predictions about the likelihood of a particular outcome.

5. Are there any theories that explain wavefunction collapse on degenerate states?

There are several interpretations of quantum mechanics that attempt to explain wavefunction collapse on degenerate states, including the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. However, there is still much debate and no consensus on which interpretation is correct.