Wave Nature of Light - Calculating Wavelength (Double Slit Exp)

In summary, the wave nature of light refers to its ability to behave as a wave and display properties like diffraction and interference. The double slit experiment is a classic experiment that demonstrates this wave nature by observing the interference pattern produced when light is shone through two parallel slits. The wavelength of light in this experiment can be calculated using the formula λ = d sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, and θ is the angle between the central maximum and the first order maximum on the interference pattern. This experiment is significant in understanding the wave nature of light and its effects, such as the spacing of the interference pattern, which is directly affected by the wavelength of light.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light falls on two very narrow slits 0.046 mm apart. Successive fringes on a screen 5.30 m away are 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern. Determine the wavelength of the light to two significant figures.

Homework Equations

x2 ≈ Lθ2 = L (2λ) / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing the θ is very small so I can assume sin θ ≈ θ in radians. When the problem said the successive fringes were 7.0 cm apart near the center of the pattern, I thought that meant x2 was 7.0 cm above x1.

λ = dx2 / 2L
λ = (0.07 m)(4.6 *10^-5 m) / (2 * 5.30 m)
λ = 3.01 * 10^-7 m

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a factor of 2 missing (or too much) somewhere. With the distance d between the slits, two adjacent fringes appear with an angle of ##\alpha \approx \frac{\lambda}{d}## between them.
In addition: With twice your calculated wavelength, the light is visible.

I multiplied my answer by "2" and got it correct but I am still unsure why I should have multiplied by "2." Were you stating at 3.01 * 10 ^-7 m light is not visible?

That corresponds to 301nm - ultraviolet radiation.

but I am still unsure why I should have multiplied by "2."
I think you divided by 2, where you shouldn't have done that.

It looks like you picked up a wrong formula there. Take a look at 'Young's slits' in Wikipedia.

Related to Wave Nature of Light - Calculating Wavelength (Double Slit Exp)

What is the wave nature of light?

The wave nature of light refers to the fact that light can behave as a wave and exhibit characteristics such as diffraction and interference.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in which light is shone through two parallel slits and the resulting interference pattern is observed. This experiment demonstrates the wave nature of light.

How do you calculate the wavelength of light in the double slit experiment?

The wavelength of light can be calculated using the formula λ = d sin(θ), where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits, and θ is the angle between the central maximum and the first order maximum on the interference pattern.

What is the significance of the double slit experiment in understanding the wave nature of light?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light and helps to explain phenomena such as interference and diffraction.

How does the wavelength of light affect the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

The wavelength of light directly affects the spacing of the interference pattern in the double slit experiment. A shorter wavelength will result in a narrower interference pattern, while a longer wavelength will result in a wider interference pattern.