Wave function: vector or scalar?

In summary: According to this, the wave function is a function on this space, and it's a vector in the sense that it takes a collection of components (scalars) that transform to linear combinations of themselves under a coordinate transformation.
lightarrow
Meant as element of Hilbert space of L^2 functions... etc., the wave function is a vector.

In the abstract description with kets and operators on these, the wave function is the scalar product between a ket |Psi> and the "eigenkets" |x> of the position operator: psi(x) = <x|Psi>.

So: psi is a vector or a scalar?

--
lightarrow

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave-function(## \psi(x)=\langle x | \psi \rangle ##) is a scalar in the sense that it doesn't change under a coordinate transformation ## x \rightarrow x' ##, i.e. ## \psi'(x')=\psi(x) ##. In this sense, a vector means a collection of components that transform to linear combinations of themselves under a coordinate transformation. The wave-function is not a vector in this sense.
Here you can read about the notion of a vector space. The wave-function is a member of some vector space, and is said to be a vector in this sense. The vector space that ## \psi(x)=\langle x | \psi \rangle ## is a member of, is the space of square-integrable complex valued functions over ## \mathbb R ## with the appropriate boundary conditions.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and vanhees71
You are calling two quantities with the same name: the ket |Psi> is the "quantum state", it belongs to the Hilbert space and it is a vector, while the wavefunction Psi(x) is the projection of this state on a basis element (x), and it's a function.

Likes Mentz114
The object ##|\Psi \rangle## is in the abstract Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## (up to equivalence there's basically only one separable Hilbert space). The wave function ##\Psi(x)=\langle x|\Psi \rangle## is the component of ##|\Psi \rangle## with respect to the generalized eigenbasis of the position operator.

In this way there is a one-to-one mapping between the abstract Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## and the Hilbert space of square-integrable functions ##L^2(\mathbb{R})##.

Likes etotheipi
vanhees71 said:
The object ##|\Psi \rangle## is in the abstract Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## (up to equivalence there's basically only one separable Hilbert space). The wave function ##\Psi(x)=\langle x|\Psi \rangle## is the component of ##|\Psi \rangle## with respect to the generalized eigenbasis of the position operator.

In this way there is a one-to-one mapping between the abstract Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## and the Hilbert space of square-integrable functions ##L^2(\mathbb{R})##.
Thanks.
--
lightarrow

vanhees71 said:

Can you please explain what does this mean?

TheInquisitor said:
Can you please explain what does this mean?
How much do you already know about the mathematical formalism underpinning QM?

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
How much do you already know about the mathematical formalism underpinning QM?

I'm almost 1 month into my course of Quantum Mechanics. So, not much.

TheInquisitor said:
I'm almost 1 month into my course of Quantum Mechanics. So, not much.
What parts of the above post did you particularly not understand: Hilbert Space, Dirac notation, abstract inner product, position eigenbasis, wave-function, square-integrable functions?

Likes vanhees71
I understand inner product, eigenbasis and wave function. The rest still confuse me.

TheInquisitor said:
I understand inner product, eigenbasis and wave function. The rest still confuse me.
You can look the rest up.

It's still not clear to me what's not clear about my posting #4. I thought you are familiar with the representation-independent formulation in terms of an abstract Hilbert space and Dirac's bra-ket formalism.

Related to Wave function: vector or scalar?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's quantum state. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular position or state.

2. Is a wave function a vector or a scalar?

A wave function can be either a vector or a scalar, depending on the system being described. In a one-dimensional system, the wave function is a scalar, while in a three-dimensional system, it is a vector.

3. How is a wave function related to quantum mechanics?

The wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the time evolution of a quantum system.

4. Can a wave function be observed or measured?

No, a wave function cannot be directly observed or measured. It is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the probability distribution described by the wave function can be measured through experiments.

5. How does the wave function collapse?

The wave function collapse occurs when a measurement is made on a quantum system, causing the system to take on a definite state. This collapse is described by the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics and is still a topic of debate among scientists.