Wave equation with initial and boundary conditions.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the one dimensional wave equation and its corresponding boundary and initial conditions. The given function is y(x,t)=sin(x)cos(ct)+(1/c)cos(x)sin(ct) and the task is to prove that it satisfies the given conditions. The method suggested is to plug in appropriate values for x and t from the boundary and initial conditions into the solution. The user is not attempting to solve the boundary value problem, but rather to prove that the function satisfies the conditions.
Mech.Obaid
Hallo Every one,

Homework Statement

y(x,t)=sin(x)cos(ct)+(1/c)cos(x)sin(ct)

Boundary Condition:

y(0,t)=y(2pi,t)=(1/c)sin(ct) fot t>0

Initial Condition :

y(x,0)=sin(x),( partial y / Partial t ) (x,0) = cos(x) for 0<x<2pi

show that y(x,t)=sin(x)cos(ct)+(1/c)cos(x)sin(ct) satisfies the one dimensional wave equation together with boundary and initial conditions.

Please anyone can clearify the question for me so i can solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just i want to know how i can prove that the given function satisfies the Boundary condition and initial condition.

The boundary and initial conditions have been given. Now you just have to plug the appropriate values for x and t belonging to said conditions into your solution.

iam not trying to slove the boundary value problem

i want to prove that the given function satisfy the boundary and initial condition.

Yep and post #3 gave you the method as to how to do just that.

Hint: what is the x value that belongs to the given boundary condition?

thanks Cyosis

Just i concentrate and i solve it

Related to Wave equation with initial and boundary conditions.

1. What is the wave equation with initial and boundary conditions?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves in a medium. It takes into account both initial conditions, which are the starting conditions of the wave, and boundary conditions, which are the conditions at the edges of the medium.

2. What are initial conditions in the wave equation?

Initial conditions refer to the starting conditions of the wave. These include the initial displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the medium at a specific point in time.

3. What are boundary conditions in the wave equation?

Boundary conditions refer to the conditions at the edges of the medium in which the wave is traveling. These can include fixed or free boundaries, as well as conditions such as reflection or absorption of the wave.

4. How do initial and boundary conditions affect the behavior of a wave?

The initial and boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a wave. They determine the shape, amplitude, and speed of the wave as it propagates through the medium.

5. What are some examples of the wave equation with initial and boundary conditions?

Examples of the wave equation with initial and boundary conditions include the vibrating string equation, which describes the motion of a string under tension, and the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum mechanical waves in a potential field.