Wave equation and odd extension with constant IC

In summary: So in summary, the problem can be solved by using the d'alembert solution and considering the odd extension of the function with given initial conditions and boundary conditions. The resulting solution will be a square wave with amplitude of 1/2 that breaks off in opposite directions and dies at the origin while continuing on infinitely on the other side. The constant initial conditions can be represented as a piecewise function or in terms of the unit step function.
xdrgnh
Solve U_xx=U_tt with c=1.
Dirchlet boundary conditions
U(x,0)=1 for 5<x<7
U(x,0)=0 for everywhere else
U_t(x,0)=0

I know that by taken an odd extension I can get rid of the boundary condition and then solve the initial value problem using the d'alembert solution and only care for x>0 Graphically I know it will be square wave that break off in opposite directions and has amplitude of 1/2. At the origin the square wave will die while on the other side it will go on forever. What is tripping me up are the constant initial conditions. When I plug them in I get for x>t U(x,t)=1 and for t>x I get 0. This doesn't sound right to me. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
Solve U_xx=U_tt with c=1.
Dirchlet boundary conditions
U(x,0)=1 for 5<x<7
U(x,0)=0 for everywhere else
U_t(x,0)=0

I know that by taken an odd extension I can get rid of the boundary condition and then solve the initial value problem using the d'alembert solution and only care for x>0 Graphically I know it will be square wave that break off in opposite directions and has amplitude of 1/2. At the origin the square wave will die while on the other side it will go on forever.

Are you sure about it dying at the origin? Won't it reflect back?

What is tripping me up are the constant initial conditions. When I plug them in I get for x>t U(x,t)=1 and for t>x I get 0. This doesn't sound right to me. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. The initial displacement isn't a constant. Have you neglected to tell us about a boundary condition such as ##u(0,t)=0##?

The initial displacement for at time =0 is 1 between x=5 and x=7. well I'm doing an odd extension so their is wave of equal amplitude but opposite direction on the x=-5 and x=-7 side and when they meet at x=0 they cancel each other keeping the boundary condition U(0,t) zero.

xdrgnh said:
The initial displacement for at time =0 is 1 between x=5 and x=7. well I'm doing an odd extension so their is wave of equal amplitude but opposite direction on the x=-5 and x=-7 side and when they meet at x=0 they cancel each other keeping the boundary condition U(0,t) zero.

That's true as they pass at the origin. But you are imagining an infinite string and that wave from the left keeps going to the right after it passes through the origin.

Okay But What About The Initial Condition. They Are Constants Not Function Of X. How Do I Represent Them At A Function Of Time,? Sorry For Caps My Phone Is Weird.

xdrgnh said:
Okay But What About The Initial Condition. They Are Constants Not Function Of X. How Do I Represent Them At A Function Of Time,? Sorry For Caps My Phone Is Weird.

##u(x,0) = 1,~5<x<7## and ##0## elsewhere is not a constant function. For example, it is ##1## when ##x=6## and ##0## when ##x=4##. Its value depends on ##x##.

So A Step Function?

No, it isn't a step function. It is a simple function which is a linear combination of step functions. What difference does it make what you call it? Call it ##f(x)## if you want to. I don't understand what your real question is here.

So for my solution I can just represent f(x) as a piecewise function and then using the d'alembert get .5f(x+t) in one direction and .5f(x-t) in the other direction?

xdrgnh said:
So for my solution I can just represent f(x) as a piecewise function and then using the d'alembert get .5f(x+t) in one direction and .5f(x-t) in the other direction?

Yes. Or if you have been using the standard unit step function ##u(x)## in your class, you could express your ##f(x)## in terms of it.

Related to Wave equation and odd extension with constant IC

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as light waves or sound waves. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict the propagation of waves in various mediums, which has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and acoustics.

2. What does odd extension mean in relation to the wave equation?

Odd extension is a mathematical technique used to extend a function defined on a finite interval to an odd function defined on the entire real line. In the context of the wave equation, this technique is used to find a solution that satisfies certain boundary conditions, such as an initial condition.

3. How is the wave equation solved using odd extension with constant initial conditions?

The wave equation can be solved using the odd extension technique by first extending the initial condition (IC) function to an odd function on the entire real line. Then, the solution to the wave equation can be found by using the even and odd parts of the extended IC function in the general solution formula.

4. What are some practical applications of the odd extension technique in solving the wave equation?

The odd extension technique is commonly used in solving boundary value problems involving the wave equation, such as finding the displacement of a vibrating string or the electric field in a transmission line. It is also used in solving problems involving reflection and transmission of waves at boundaries.

5. Are there any limitations to using odd extension with constant initial conditions in solving the wave equation?

While the odd extension technique is a powerful tool in solving certain boundary value problems involving the wave equation, it is not applicable in all cases. For example, it may not be useful when dealing with non-constant initial conditions or when the boundary conditions are not symmetric. In these cases, alternative techniques may need to be used.