Water tower/spring system Diff Eq

In summary, the conversation discusses a water tower acting as a mass-spring system during an earthquake and the resulting vibrations. The natural frequency of the water tower is found using the formula ##\omega_0=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##, and the general solution for the resulting oscillations is given as ##\displaystyle x(t)=C_1\cos\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}t\right)+C_2 \sin \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}t\right)+\frac{mA \omega ^2}{1000-10000\omega^2}\cos(\omega t)##, where ##m## represents the mass of the water tower. The
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Suppose a water tower in an earthquake acts as a mass-spring system. Assume that the container on top is full and the water does not move around. The container then acts as a mass and the support acts as the spring, where the induced vibrations are horizontal. Suppose that the container with water has a mass of 10,000 kg. It takes a force of 1000 N to displace the container 1 m. For simplicity, assume no friction. When the earthquake hits the water tower is at rest.

Suppose that an earthquake induces an external force ##F(t)=mA\omega^2\cos(\omega t)##.

What is the natural frequency of the water tower?

Find a formula for the maximal amplitude of the resulting oscillations of the water container (the maximal deviation from the rest position). The motion will be a high frequency wave modulated by a low frequency wave, so simply find the constant in front of the sines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the differential equation I set up:

##10,000x''+1,000x=mA\omega^2\cos(\omega t)##

For the natural frequency, I used the formula ##\omega_0=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##, which gives me ##\omega_0=\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}\text{ rad/s}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}\text{ Hz}##. Is this right?

And for the second part, do I just solve this equation? I'm not sure what it means to find the "constant in front of the sines."

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is that [itex]y(t)= cos(\sqrt{1/10}t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)= sin(\sqrt{1/10}t)[/itex] are solutions to the associated homogeneous equation, 10000x''+ 1000x= 0. Can you find the general solution to the entire equation?

HallsofIvy said:
What you have is that [itex]y(t)= cos(\sqrt{1/10}t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)= sin(\sqrt{1/10}t)[/itex] are solutions to the associated homogeneous equation, 10000x''+ 1000x= 0. Can you find the general solution to the entire equation?

Yup, I've found that the general solution is
##\displaystyle x(t)=C_1\cos\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}t\right)+C_2 \sin \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{10}}t\right)+\frac{mA \omega ^2}{1000-10000\omega^2}\cos(\omega t)##

We're also assuming ##\omega\not=\omega_0## for the second part. I forgot to put that in my first post.

By the way, is the ##m## in the solution the same as the mass of the water tower?

Related to Water tower/spring system Diff Eq

1. What is a water tower/spring system in terms of differential equations?

A water tower/spring system is a physical system that can be described using differential equations. It involves a large, elevated tank (the water tower) connected to a small, underground tank (the spring) through a pipe. The water tower provides water pressure to the spring, which then supplies water to a community or area.

2. What are the main components of a water tower/spring system?

The main components of a water tower/spring system include the water tower, the spring, the connecting pipe, and a valve or pump to control the flow of water. The system also includes the surrounding environment, such as the ground and the air, which can affect the behavior of the system.

3. How are differential equations used to model a water tower/spring system?

Differential equations are used to model a water tower/spring system by describing the relationships between the different variables in the system, such as the volume of water in each tank, the rate of flow between the tanks, and the pressure in the system. These equations can then be solved to predict the behavior of the system over time.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying water tower/spring systems using differential equations?

Studying water tower/spring systems using differential equations can have various real-world applications. For example, it can help engineers design more efficient and reliable water distribution systems for communities. It can also be used to predict the effects of changes in the system, such as fluctuations in water usage or changes in the environment, on the overall performance of the system.

5. What are the challenges of using differential equations to model water tower/spring systems?

One of the main challenges of using differential equations to model water tower/spring systems is accurately representing all the variables and factors that can affect the system. This can include the effects of temperature, evaporation, and leaks in the system. Additionally, the equations used may be complex and require advanced mathematical skills to solve and interpret accurately.