Was the relation between E and f known BEFORE quantum theory?

In summary, the intensity of light is not solely determined by the number of photons, but also depends on the photon flux and the energy of each photon. In classical physics, different colors of light with the same electric field amplitude have the same intensity, but according to quantum mechanics, red light carries less energy than blue light due to its longer wavelength. This can also be seen in the classical formula for intensity, which takes into account the amplitude of the EM-wave.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

In classical EM, would one have said that red light carries less energy than blue light? (if both have the same intensity)

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that, but that's not really my question...

mr. vodka said:
Hello,

In classical EM, would one have said that red light carries less energy than blue light? (if both have the same intensity)
Intensity is the power per unit area. Thus, by definition, the answer to your question is no. Moreover, this is also the case in quantum mechanics - the definition of intensity does not change in going from EM to QM.

Hootenanny: if I have one photon of red light and one photon of blue light, doesn't QM say they are of the "same intensity", because intensity is a measure for the amount of photons? Yet a red photon carries less energy than a blue photon, so I don't see how you can say that QM implies that if two light sources have the same intensity, they give the same energy.

mr. vodka said:
Hootenanny: if I have one photon of red light and one photon of blue light, doesn't QM say they are of the "same intensity", because intensity is a measure for the amount of photons?
Nope. Intensity is a measure of power per unit area, as it is in the classical case. Light intensity is not exclusively determined by the number of photons - it depends on both the photon flux and the energy of each photon.

mr. vodka said:
Hello,

hello mr. vodka! :smile:

red light by definition has a longer wavelength (lower frequency) than blue light … this can be determined from diffraction gratings, Young's fringes etc

if you move away from a wave, its frequency lessens, and its energy also lessens (Doppler shift), so between the same amount of blue light and of red light, the red light has less energy (without knowledge of photons, I don't see any other way of comparing "the same amount" of different colours)

tiny-tim: hello :) indeed, but what I was wondering about: did they also know this in classical physics? (EDIT: woops, didn't see your last line between the parenthesis, but Redbelly (next post) seems to have replied to that already)

Hootenanny: but isn't intensity classically determined by the amplitude of the EM-wave? (if not, what is the correct formula?) In the case I am right about that: the amplitude then gives the probability the photon being in a certain place (cf Born), and that probability is determined by the flux, and not by the energy of each photon

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
(without knowledge of photons, I don't see any other way of comparing "the same amount" of different colours)
Classically you could compare different color waves that have the same electric field amplitude, and they would have the same intensity. Then if you want to bring photons into the discussion, you would say the same intensity of red light has more photons (per m2, per second), so each red photon has less energy. It takes fewer blue photons to produce light of the same intensity as red, so the blue photons must be more energetic than red ones.

Related to Was the relation between E and f known BEFORE quantum theory?

1. Was the relation between E and f known before quantum theory?

No, the relation between energy (E) and frequency (f) was not known before quantum theory. In classical physics, it was believed that energy could take on any value, regardless of frequency.

2. How did quantum theory establish the relation between E and f?

Quantum theory introduced the concept of energy being quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts. This led to the discovery of the Planck-Einstein relation, which states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency (E = hf).

3. Who discovered the relation between E and f?

The relation between energy and frequency was discovered by Max Planck and Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. Planck first proposed the idea of quantized energy, and Einstein later provided a theoretical explanation for the photoelectric effect, which supported the Planck-Einstein relation.

4. How does the relation between E and f impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the relation between energy and frequency through quantum theory has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe. It has led to advancements in technology, such as lasers and solar panels, and has also provided a deeper understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

5. Are there any exceptions to the relation between E and f?

In certain cases, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields, the relation between energy and frequency may not hold true. However, in most cases, the Planck-Einstein relation remains a fundamental principle in quantum theory and is widely accepted in the scientific community.